• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis: "An Act of Love" - vaccination

RestlessSoul

He's right in that getting vaccinated promotes the common good. The Church has been saying this for a while. (See link). But does everything have to be couched in this sentimental dross of 'love'? It's obnoxious. I'm not getting the vaccine (when I'm eligible) out of some vague sappy sentiment of love, but out of a combination of self-interest and the recognition of the common good.

Note on the morality of using some anti-Covid-19 vaccines (21 December 2020)

You think love is obnoxious? Or just talking about it?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Pope Francis speaks for me.

"Being vaccinated with vaccines authorized by the competent authorities is an act of love. And contributing to ensure the majority of people are vaccinated is an act of love."

He added: "Vaccination is a simple but profound way of promoting the common good and caring for each other, especially the most vulnerable."

In A Message To Americans, Pope Francis Says Getting Vaccinated Is 'An Act Of Love'

Thats well said. If this motivates people to get vaccinated, in my opinion he has done a wonderful thing.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
You think love is obnoxious? Or just talking about it?
I find western culture's emphasis on eros to get obnoxious at times, but in this case I just find the overuse of the word 'love' to be obnoxious. Not everything needs to be reduced to vacuous slogans of 'love'.

RestlessSoul

I find western culture's emphasis on eros to get obnoxious at times, but in this case I just find the overuse of the word 'love' to be obnoxious. Not everything needs to be reduced to vacuous slogans of 'love'.

Love is fairly central to Christian theology, however. Indeed, "That you should love each, other as I have loved you" was the essence of Christ's message. So you'd surely expect a senior Christian cleric to have that message at the core of his own beliefs, with a language to match.

This has nothing to do with Eros btw. What you are referring to there, is a very specific sort of love, not fraternal in nature.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Not for me

I have not forgotten Popes imposing Hell and doom on Catholics and who not for thousands of years

Seems to me another imposing act to me, and I'm sick of Popes imposing on us (and it's not that Popes never imposed before)
Hence I strongly distrust and disagree, until I know for sure this time

Pope says vaccine is okay, even if aborted fetus material is used in the research.

I wonder what he really thinks, because saying is 1 thing, but thinking often another (Popes no exception)

What if the fetus was a gay fetus? I just checked his view on gay. Still not friendly at all (brutal) "thread to the family" just to mention 1. Probably he forgot about that

I wonder what Pope's agenda is in this one

We will find out soon.
I wait till then before I believe in him
I don't believe humans so easy, Popes included. I rather wait and see, instead of believing him

But from the outside his words seem to have changed from previous Popes. But words can be deceiving. 2000 years damning gay and what not won't change overnight, esp. as he still uses the same Bible

Note: Of course, all this is just my opinion, I hope I'm wrong, and the Pope has no agenda at all.

I never thought I'd see 'what if the fetus was a gay fetus' posed in a non-joke thread.
However, I'm going to skip over that for a moment. Whether the pope has an agenda or not, it doesn't change the fact that his words on this occassion speak to me, and appear both true and neatly stated.

Incidentally, the actions of Pope John XII doesnt change it either.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You're really brave saying that in public. Aren't you afraid of getting zapped by space lasers? I hope you're using a tor or a ip proxy, man.

I'm thinking of starting a conspiracy that Tor is a front for the lizard people. Just to see if they'll jump on their little Tor protected chat groups to discuss it.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I never thought I'd see 'what if the fetus was a gay fetus' posed in a non-joke thread.
If people love each other more, we get a better world. Hence including gay = better world

But I am empathic, and reading Popes words on gay, not as positive as my view, and just reading him saying "aborted fetus material used" is fine, I just put 1 and 1 together

I think gay issue is not a joke for the Pope, neither is abortion. Hence I treat it seriously, and would never joke on it (you won't see me make jokes on RF), esp. not when it's serious business for the other

GardenLady

Pope says vaccine is okay, even if aborted fetus material is used in the research
I believe he said it is acceptable to take that vaccine if it is the only one available, but that taking a vaccine that did not use fetal tissue should be done if available. It’s a matter of balancing harm.

stvdv

I believe he said it is acceptable to take that vaccine if it is the only one available, but that taking a vaccine that did not use fetal tissue should be done if available. It’s a matter of balancing harm.
I did not read or hear him say it. I read below (they might have not quoted all)
In A Message To Americans, Pope Francis Says Getting Vaccinated Is 'An Act Of Love'
The Vatican has declared that it is morally acceptable for Catholics to receive COVID-19 vaccines, including those based on research that used cells derived from aborted fetuses.

stvdv

:cool:

However, I'm going to skip over that for a moment. Whether the pope has an agenda or not, it doesn't change the fact that his words on this occassion speak to me, and appear both true and neatly stated.
:cool:

His words seem friendly, and might even open up their rigid view on abortion even, baby steps for now, but that would be fantastic. So, I also can see some good in it, but before fully trusting him, I need a little more time (3 years I think)

pearl

A number of American bishops have taken the same action by mandating that all diocese, schools, teachers and employees etc. must be vaccinated.

Clara Tea

Pope Francis speaks for me.

"Being vaccinated with vaccines authorized by the competent authorities is an act of love. And contributing to ensure the majority of people are vaccinated is an act of love."

He added: "Vaccination is a simple but profound way of promoting the common good and caring for each other, especially the most vulnerable."

Shots are like Cupid's arrow. Yet, I've observed that those shot through the heart with Cupid arrow tend to spoil the mood.