• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Poll] What Prevents You From Living Your Desires?

[Poll] What Prevents You From Living Your Desires?

• Fear of prison

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Fear of pain

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Fear of death

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Fear of humiliation

• Fear of rape

• Other (explain)

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters

dave_

Most of people (including me) are living boring lifes.What makes you continue living your boring life and not your desires?

p.s: you can vote more than once

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I would like to have some more social understanding and abilities. But being an aspie means I do not have any social intuition, I have to process what people say, the rules of social conversation do not come easy, and getting a conversation going and maintaining one is very difficult for me. It's given me many strengths, but it does make it hard to make friends.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Most of people (including me) are living boring lifes.What makes you continue living your boring life and not your desires?

I'm living a great life, but I'm going to assume you mean - ill gotten - gains, privilege, and desires.

Empathy for others like myself. No God needed.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Many parts of my life are exciting and bring me joy. Nothing is boring in my life. Own a growing and thriving business. I get to travel. I have a home with a family I adore. My husband and I are open with our love lives, so we play elsewhere and support each other. Kids are great kids starting their own lives and young adults (and got one more left to finish high school, get her diploma, and move to the West Coast).

Next big item on the agenda is building our dream home/estate on 10 acres or so in an adjacent county...with our own ecosystem for water, energy, and food sources. We've been planning on this for close to 10 years and becoming acquainted with off-grid living. Now money is being put toward it.

What's preventing me from doing even more? Time. There's only so many hours in a day.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'd seriously like to try this, but I'd prolly end up killing myself in the process.

I'm not sure which would kill me, the sudden landing or my heart stopping before the fall.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Many parts of my life are exciting and bring me joy. Nothing is boring in my life. Own a growing and thriving business. I get to travel. I have a home with a family I adore. My husband and I are open with our love lives, so we play elsewhere and support each other. Kids are great kids starting their own lives and young adults (and got one more left to finish high school, get her diploma, and move to the West Coast).

Next big item on the agenda is building our dream home/estate on 10 acres or so in an adjacent county...with our own ecosystem for water, energy, and food sources. We've been planning on this for close to 10 years and becoming acquainted with off-grid living. Now money is being put toward it.

What's preventing me from doing even more? Time. There's only so many hours in a day.

Disturbances and troubles are absent from your life, but we don't know how rest is except after tiredness.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'd seriously like to try this, but I'd prolly end up killing myself in the process.

I'm not sure which would kill me, the sudden landing or my heart stopping before the fall.
I've come to realize Russians do a lot of crazy things. At least for internet videos. That one may take the cake.

Sultan Of Swing

Everyone lives their immediate desires, really, whether out of fear, etc. A person's desire to live a boring life, here in the now, could be predicated on an immediate desire to not put in effort and to instead just relax. Long-term desires which require resources would involve working toward said resources, though not much of that happens either.

For myself, when I am not living my life for my desires, it is a problem of perception, in which the smaller and more immediately fulfilling desires take precedence over the long-term harder-to-attain desires that do not see their immediate fruit. As a Christian, my greatest desire is to have the real surpassing joy of knowing God more and more, to behold Him and be transformed, an immeasurable joy that any other pleasure pales in comparison to, but this takes the effort of getting deep into the Scriptures and spending more time with Him (this is not to be confused with salvation, which is entirely not based on anything we do but on God's grace). Often smaller desires can get in the way, and Christians call this sin, when we desire things other than God and make them an idol.

Now before you get bored of the religious mumbo-jumbo, this can be applied to a secular perspective as well. Though we think we are free in pursuing our desires, we often find ourselves having distorted priorities when it comes to our goals and desires. We end up following useless desires that are good in the short-run but do not work towards long-term goals, as I said in my first example, like lazing about, which has the benefit of avoiding mental and physical exertion at the cost of working toward a better desire of success.

So in a sense, we do follow our desires. That is, our immediate desires. In another sense, we often don't follow the desires we ought, or the desires we wished we'd follow because distorted priorities allow us to choose immediate gain over the much more fulfilling long-term goals.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
It comes all down to mental illnesses for me. There's issues with confidence too (stemming from the past)... So it's partially me preventing myself from it due to fear of failure, not being up to my own standards, being criticised, etc. So I selected other for the first part I mentioned and humiliation for the latter bits.

At this point, I just want to be content most of the time and have some really good moments, like when travelling.