• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Poll] What Prevents You From Living Your Desires?

[Poll] What Prevents You From Living Your Desires?

• Fear of prison

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Fear of pain

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Fear of death

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Fear of humiliation

• Fear of rape

• Other (explain)

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I've already got the life I want, but it wouldn't suit many others. It's very simple.
It's not about lists of what we want.......... the list seems to be about what we don't want.
I listen to my mate's huge lists of needs, and realise that they haven't included anything which I would want, or things that I already have.
The joke is that my mates have all got bigger homes, bigger pensions or wages, go on great holidays, eat in expensive restaurants, cars ...... and they're all unhappy and ungrateful sods.

So......... I need my wife and my peace of mind, both. I would be lost without these.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Most of people (including me) are living boring lifes.What makes you continue living your boring life and not your desires?

p.s: you can vote more than once

I hate surprises; so, I have to limit what I can do while I am healthy. Lack of time to do more what I want to do not just what I need to.

What I do instead is change my everyday routine into a holistic one. I may not get to write a book or travel the country. At least Id be comfortable with death, have patience, live a devotional life with flexible work and a balance in funds.

Baladas

An Págánach
Fear of prison mainly due to the fact that my desires sometimes include things like just saying "screw it" and going to get the mail naked.

Mostly what holds me back are a lack of funds which is caused in part by my disability.
Overall, I am quite content with my life. :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It comes all down to mental illnesses for me. There's issues with confidence too (stemming from the past)... So it's partially me preventing myself from it due to fear of failure, not being up to my own standards, being criticised, etc. So I selected other for the first part I mentioned and humiliation for the latter bits.

At this point, I just want to be content most of the time and have some really good moments, like when travelling.
I don't "like" that, but I can truly sympathize. At times I wonder where I'd be, who'd I'd be, and what I'd be had just a single person showed signs of interests and encouragement towards me and my own interests and hobbies as I was growing up.
And, god, how I notice each and every flaw of anything I do, and how the stick out to me in a way that prevents me on focusing on what I did good.
It's odd how school completely took away my self-confidence when I was younger, but as an adult it showed me how I do lack this, and set me on a path towards trying to gain it. I remember when I first re-enrolled in college I wasn't even sure if I could make the grades, I was worried it wouldn't be really hard, and I was worried that I may not be able to do it (it didn't help that my parents were also questioning this). But, eventually, I found myself dominating class discussions, challenging the ideas of my peers, and gaining the respect of my teachers. I think that may also be driving my recent depression, because there are two teachers especially that I have taken a strong liking to, they have encouraged me, they have said I have done good, they have spoken highly of me, and now they are no longer a part of my life. But, I suppose, that is just life.