• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Smartphone use?

How many hours a day on average are you on your smartphone?

• Zero - no such phone

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Less than one hour

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • One to two hours

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Two to three hours

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Three to four hours

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Four to five hours

• Five to six hours

• Six to seven hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seven to eight hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over eight hours

• Total voters

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
There has been a lot of discussion over such usage, and as to this perhaps being detrimental to mental health, so apart from answering the poll, how do you view your own use of such? This in the news recently, and as to which no doubt other schools have tried something similar:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I'm normally on and off it all the time, no idea how many hours all that adds up to

Laika

Premium Member
Voted "Zero- no such phone". I don't have a smart phone but only have a 'dumb phone' so I have a quiet life. Typically, I am an internet addict and I'm on my chromebook far too much. When my monthly internet allowance runs out, I'll probably use my mum or my dad's smart phone.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
In my second year of Uni I ditched my smartphone for a flipphone and it really saved my grades.
I've often thought about going back but I'm so dependent on GPS functionality these days when I'm out and about.
Most of the time, I don't need a GPS, but if I do, I have an old Garmin. :)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I use my phone a lot. And the computer a lot when I'm not using my phone. Social media, video games and browsing.
But I also read books, take long walks, exercise, make art, cook food, take relaxing baths, and do all the things a healthy person should be doing...

Except get 8 hours of sleep. That I do not do.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I rarely use the phone function. I do use it for email, the internet, a couple of games (Scrabble and Solitaire) and SatNav.

Its mostly used to communicate with family and friends over Messenger and RF.

I would say up to 4 hours a day.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I rarely use the phone function. I do use it for email, the internet, a couple of games (Scrabble and Solitaire) and SatNav.

Its mostly used to communicate with family and friends over Messenger and RF.

I would say up to 4 hours a day.
I am the polar opposite.
I use the phone every now and again to call or text someone for some thing or another.
I seldom if ever use anything else on it any more.
Now a few years back, I was doing pretty much every thing on it.
But with family monarchs passing away, the family does not stay in touch nearly as much as they used to.
So my usage dropped to nearly nothing.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Until this past September, I was in the over 8+ hours per day group. Since I changed my role with the company, I'm lucky if I pick it up more than a few times per day.

Of course, having a Mac is a bit of a cheat, because I text and make and receive calls from that when I'm home.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Until this past September, I was in the over 8+ hours per day group. Since I changed my role with the company, I'm lucky if I pick it up more than a few times per day.

Of course, having a Mac is a bit of a cheat, because I text and make and receive calls from that when I'm home.
I use my pc for Facebook, and my facebook is basically me waiting for others to reply back..

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My volunteer work involves emails and texts which I read/reply when away from my desktop. I also browse new stories when I have a spare 5 minutes and play Pogo games on it. GPS is another use but not that often. I also check for traffic sometimes to find a good route home during commute hours. Misc apps get used as well.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Four to six hours. I use it to study when I don't need to be on a PC for that, which is the main reason for the long amount of time I spend on it. I also contact friends a lot through various chatting apps.

My qualification is in software development, so avoiding smartphone usage would be a herculean task in my case. Avoiding it wouldn't be a good idea for me in general either, since I find it useful in many ways.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
They've added an interstate system in the US since that thing was made. :p
So far, I haven't had much struggle.

Other than the time it kept insisting that I drive into the Mississippi.

I think that was personal, though.
Wish that was feasible. It'll be one of the first things to go when (if) I retire.
I don't often run into any issue. Sometimes I'll get a text saying "click here for such and such". Then I just call the number of where ever it came from.

Sometimes doctors take for granted I can't automatically see or bring in notes from such and such place. They get over it pretty quickly, though.

I live a pretty low key life, though.