• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Should homosexuals be chaste?

Should homosexual people be chaste?

• Total voters

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Should homosexuals be chaste?
YES: IF they want to live a chaste live
NO: IF they don't want to live a chaste live

Religious people believe that God gave all people their live and humans have a free choice, hence:
1) Religious people "should" do as they believe is best for them
2) Religious people "should NOT" tell others what others should do

Clara Tea

Chaste? I thought they were chasing each other.

The issue of Gay marriage (or Gay sex) is a minor part of the bible. Notice that President George W. Bush attacked Iraq without finding out if they were involved in terrorism, and murdered perhaps 1,000,000 Iraqis (the exact number is unknown, and General Franks said that it isn't our job to count casualties). Killing a million is ignored while consensual sex is the only thing on your mind?

This is a matter of priorities.

Some people are male but genetically female. So, they can't help their gender. For them, it isn't a choice (as the high pitched Reverend Jerry Falwell suggests is an easy choice to switch from one gender to another).

God's laws say that one should not be Gay. Yet, only God should be the judge.

However, punishment is by God, not us. We are supposed to mind our own business, turn the other cheek, be meek and mild, and not judge others (lest we be judged, as above).

We are not the "enforcers" of God's laws. However, if someone murders, that is both a law of God and a law of man. But notice that God has murdered on many occasions, for example Noah's flood.

The notion that someone's Gay marriage ruins the institution of marriage is ridiculous. Gays should be allowed to marry if they want to (even if that is a civil union). They should have the right to inherit and the right to bring up kids (spouse's or adopted).

How would you feel if the situation was reversed, and a Gay mayor passed a law that straight sex was forbidden?

Who voted yes! Come out of hiding! Let's Fight!

The question was: Should homosexuals be chaste? I said yes.

To me the word “chaste” means modest, clean, pure. I think it is good to be that.
If you think it is not good, please explain why?

It also means, abstaining from extramarital sex. I think that is good thing also, for all people.

It can also mean abstaining from all sexual intercourse. That I think is not necessary in every case. I think it is ok to every man to marry a woman, or woman to marry a man and then have marital sex. But, I don’t think it is good in any marriage to do stupid things that are potentially harmful for the people.

Also, word “should not” means to me, “it would be better not to do something”. I think homosexual act is not good or wise for the people, therefore I think people should not do that. Similarly I would say, people should not put their hand on fire, it is not good. This does not mean I am going to do something to prevent it. And my word is not the same as law.

To me this is basically same as, people should not murder, or steal. They are not good things and that is why people should not do them.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
@Eddi

If you agree that the Bible is the word of God, then the answer HAS to be yes. Sodomy is called an abomination.

Sex is powerful, and can at times be destructive when people have no clear idea who can sleep with whom, or when children are born into a world where they are not sheltered by a committed mother and father. Therefore sex is protected by marriage, which is a man and woman committed to each other with the intent to create a family with children, or something very close to that ideal. For example, a couple too old to have more children, or a barren couple are close enough to the idea. A gay relationship, no matter how loving, is not because gay sex does not produce children.

Given that sex is moral only within marriage, anyone who is not married should refrain from sex (or refrain from extramarital affairs). This includes fornication, and cohabiting. The rule if you are not married is celebacy. So its not just gays, but it certainly includes gays.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Given that sex is moral only within marriage, anyone who is not married should refrain from sex (or refrain from extramarital affairs). This includes fornication, and cohabiting. The rule if you are not married is celebacy. So its not just gays, but it certainly includes gays.
Sadly for society, the Baha'i Faith is probably the only religion that fully agrees with what you said above.

Zaha Torte

Within certain corners of Christianity and I should think in other religions too, there is much disapproval of homosexual activity...

Those who don't want to exterminate LGBT people say they are against the "sin" but love the "sinner"

And everything is OK with having "same sex attraction", so long as you don't do anything gay, and don't have gay thoughts!

People have evolved to want and require a significant other - to have intimacy, commitment, and companionship. That's human nature...

So is to say that LGBT people should be chaste to deny them their humanity?

Should homosexuals be chaste?

I say no:

Homosexuality is an important part of the human condition and is perfectly natural
Every one should be chaste until they are married.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I didn't like how the OP made chastity a homosexual issue.

It is my opinion that all people should be chaste until marriage.
Yeah, it's not a gay issue but people who believe that everyone should be chaste before marriage usually find homosexuality to be sinful, and don't view same sex intimacy even within a marriage as valid. So those people are really saying that gay people should be celibate for their whole lives.

Personally, I don't believe in such a concept of chastity, although I don't support a free for all, either.

Zaha Torte

Yeah, it's not a gay issue but people who believe that everyone should be chaste before marriage usually find homosexuality to be sinful, and don't view same sex intimacy even within a marriage as valid. So those people are really saying that gay people should be celibate for their whole lives.

Personally, I don't believe in such a concept of chastity, although I don't support a free for all, either.
I just believe that chastity before marriage helps people avoid unnecessary heartache and sorrow.

Anyone's beliefs concerning sin is a separate issue in my opinion.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I waited and I'm so glad for it.
I believe it is always best to follow God's laws instead of our own selfish desires.
Of course Jesus knew, but an All-knowing God who created humans also has to know what is best for humans.

Matthew 16:24-26 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Skywalker

So, here are my radical views as usual:
1. I believe that homosexuality is "God-given".
2. I believe that homosexuality is "forbidden".
3. I believe that homosexuality is a seemingly or nearly inescapable hardship for the homosexual person, and it remains a difficulty for the person.
4. I support and have supported religious movements developing compromises for homosexuals and apologetics for accepting them wholly.
5. I do not believe the homosexuals are likely to be saved by such efforts, but I like that God's love should be put to the test.
6. I consider homosexuals to be in many ways sometimes superior to heterosexuals, and I also find the idea of homosexuality unsatisfying.
7. Most of the religions seem to say that homosexuals, for their homosexuality, are basically cursed to be punished in this life and the next.
8. I do not reject the opinion of these religions, and agree that the state of being a homosexual, or even a woman, is a terrible existence here.

I think that homosexual freedom is a major human rights issue, and it would be unfair to impose certain restrictions on these people without careful care just as it would be to impose heavy regulations on women and any human beings with differences to the dominant majority of imposers of law, heterosexual jocks like myself who go rrrrhmphffff.

So those are pretty mixed up views. Similar to my views on Abortion and other issues.

I believe Abortion is forbidden, and that people must have the right and freedom to decide what grows in their bodies and how their bodies are used, and that people who might have abortions willy-nilly are probably junk people.

Its all mixed up always, back and forth seeming, but that is because I carefully examine things, and I decide what is right overall, best overall, right for me, wrong in general, they don't all get mixed up.

So people can do things I think are wrong and evil which are important to maintain as rights and freedoms which if disabled can cause a lot of problems even to good and decent people or people who may become better even.

I believe in miracles, both negative and positive, and that homosexuality can legitimately be "cured" as some have claimed by some miraculous switching of brain biology or chemistry or bacterias or whatever it might be, switched, just like I believe in all sorts of weird things being possible. I also believe this may be highly unlikely, and barely seems to ever happen or get claimed, and that people who have issues like that they are Trans, or are homosexual, or whatever, that is pretty much ingrained quite strongly and can't be changed very easily by any means except some miraculous transformation, which could be likened to suddenly having a finger when you were missing a finger or growing a new one, certainly not the norm.

I could think of a funny movie idea, where a person wakes up a heterosexual, with no memory of ever having been gay, and then being shown all sorts of things from their past which make them out to be a gay. A comedy?

Why do people talk about homosexuals and heterosexuals differently than they talk about married people and those who live together before marriage? Premarital relationships are considered more vulgar to discuss than homosexuality and people dont say that they are against nature.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Premarital relationships are considered more vulgar to discuss than homosexuality and people dont say that they are against nature.
Premarital relationships are considered wrong by people like you and me, but they are considered perfectly normal and acceptable to most people in the decadent society in which we now live.

Skywalker

Premarital relationships are considered wrong by people like you and me, but they are considered perfectly normal and acceptable to most people in the decadent society in which we now live.

Isnt that a total self contradiction? How can something inappropriate be appropriate?

The idea of marriage is that its not appropriate to socialize with the opposite sex for a certain amount of time and marriage is an exception to the rule. People are today calling wrong right and right wrong.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
OK, so the poll has been open for around three hours...

And 100% of the 15 votes cast have all been against the notion that homosexuals should be chaste

I wonder if this would have been different were the poll set up to be anonymous?

I'm just realizing how you can see all the people who voted. I just thought it was the numbers. Interesting