• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Should homosexuals be chaste?

Should homosexual people be chaste?

• Total voters

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Within certain corners of Christianity and I should think in other religions too, there is much disapproval of homosexual activity...

Those who don't want to exterminate LGBT people say they are against the "sin" but love the "sinner"

And everything is OK with having "same sex attraction", so long as you don't do anything gay, and don't have gay thoughts!

People have evolved to want and require a significant other - to have intimacy, commitment, and companionship. That's human nature...

So is to say that LGBT people should be chaste to deny them their humanity?

Should homosexuals be chaste?

I say no:

Homosexuality is an important part of the human condition and is perfectly natural

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Of course not. Any heterosexual opinion that states otherwise is, in my opinion, bigotry.

People have evolved to want and require a significant other - to have intimacy, commitment, and companionship. That's human nature...

I don't necessarily agree with this statement. I think it's more accurately to say they've become conditioned to want or require a significant other. This, as I see it, is a learned behavior, not an inherent one.

If what you say is true, I guess I've devolved over time. ;)

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Within certain corners of Christianity and I should think in other religions too, there is much disapproval of homosexual activity...

Those who don't want to exterminate LGBT people say they are against the "sin" but love the "sinner"

And everything is OK with having "same sex attraction", so long as you don't do anything gay, and don't have gay thoughts!

I say no:

Homosexuality is an important part of the human condition and is perfectly natural
It would be wrong of me to speak badly or evil about those who are born as Gay, Lesbian or other forms of sexual gender. I am in no power to judge them. So what sexual gender or what people do in their private bedroom ( or other places) should not and can not be my business.

Goddess Kit

The religious preoccupation with another's personal life is an illogical one. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with being gay, while there is something very wrong with informing others how to live merely in accordance with fallible religious law.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Hell no, and neither should heterosexuals, bisexuals, etc. Chastity is a rather extreme thing, if you're using the Christian concept of it which calls for no sex, no masturbation, no lustful thoughts or anything sexual before marriage. I tried that for a bit and almost lost my mind. It's torture.

Brian2

Veteran Member

I say no:

I'm sure there are many homosexuals who are in religions which disagree with that practice and so choose to live chaste lives. Many do not. It is up to God to judge people. I am a Christian and think I know what God teaches about homosexual practice but I know what He teaches about other things also which I transgress against.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
OK, so the poll has been open for around three hours...

And 100% of the 15 votes cast have all been against the notion that homosexuals should be chaste

I wonder if this would have been different were the poll set up to be anonymous?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

And 100% of the 15 votes cast have all been against the notion that homosexuals should be chaste

I wonder if this would have been different were the poll set up to be anonymous?
That would garner more honest responses.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Probably. You'll get plenty of "no" answers from people who don't think they should be chaste. But I doubt the ones who think they should would answer "yes." No one wants to be "that guy."

With 199 views and 18 votes, I'm guessing not everyone has answered. ;)

I voted no. You can try the anonymous thing, but I'm no coward chicken pok pok pok. I happily expose every nuance of my belief, because I'm already anonymous enough, and also don't care that much.

You can't ask a person who insists they are some certain way to be repressed, it certainly would lead to major distress.

Think of it this way, from the heterosexual perspective, and being asked in a Gay World that you should repress your heterosexuality and heterosexual inclination and heterosexual desire for sex or partnership with intimacy due to some law. It seems terrible to live a life like that, forced into something you don't want to do, made to think you are horrible for what is said to be your natural state and inclination. How could they be asked to do such a thing?

I'm a religious person, I believe homosexuality is forbidden by most of the religions, but I am not blind to see how this state would be tremendously uncomfortable and horrible to be utterly repressed and without hope in anything.

I'm also a virgin who has been married for very many years and still haven't had sexual intercourse, but how much worse would it be to think I absolutely couldn't because I should not because its bad and horrible or something? That would be really much more disturbing than my simply wanting to be more fit and not being able to stick my giant phallus in the little hole or whatever.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I voted no. You can try the anonymous thing, but I'm no coward chicken pok pok pok bawk, bawk, bawk. I happily expose every nuance of my belief, because I'm already anonymous enough, and also don't care that much.

You can't ask a person who insists they are some certain way to be repressed, it certainly would lead to major distress.

Think of it this way, from the heterosexual perspective, and being asked in a Gay World that you should repress your heterosexuality and heterosexual inclination and heterosexual desire for sex or partnership with intimacy due to some law. It seems terrible to live a life like that, forced into something you don't want to do, made to think you are horrible for what is said to be your natural state and inclination. How could they be asked to do such a thing?

I'm a religious person, I believe homosexuality is forbidden by most of the religions, but I am not blind to see how this state would be tremendously uncomfortable and horrible to be utterly repressed and without hope in anything.

I'm also a virgin who has been married for very many years and still haven't had sexual intercourse, but how much worse would it be to think I absolutely couldn't because I should not because its bad and horrible or something? That would be really much more disturbing than my simply wanting to be more fit and not being able to stick my giant phallus in the little hole or whatever.
Fixed.

PureX

Veteran Member
Jesus taught that those who do not embody the spirit of the law, must then obey the letter of the law. While those who do embody the spirit of the law automatically fulfill the letter of the law (if it is righteous law). The spirit of all righteous law is love, forgiveness, kindness, generosity, honesty, and wisdom. If we allow this divine spirit, within us, to guide us in all things, we do not need to be concerned with the letter of any law, religious or otherwise.

Gay or strait, if we are able to conduct ourselves according to the divine spirit within us as expressed in the above characteristics, we need not be concerned with religious rules and admonishments. However, gay or strait, if we do not acknowledge, submit to, and embody this divine spirit of God within us, we should then refrain from all sexual actions apart from the purpose of procreation within marriage.

This is how I understand the Christian view on it. However, those Christians who are as yet unable to acknowledge and embody the spirit of Christ within them will not be able to grasp this perspective, and so will reject it.

So, here are my radical views as usual:
1. I believe that homosexuality is "God-given".
2. I believe that homosexuality is "forbidden".
3. I believe that homosexuality is a seemingly or nearly inescapable hardship for the homosexual person, and it remains a difficulty for the person.
4. I support and have supported religious movements developing compromises for homosexuals and apologetics for accepting them wholly.
5. I do not believe the homosexuals are likely to be saved by such efforts, but I like that God's love should be put to the test.
6. I consider homosexuals to be in many ways sometimes superior to heterosexuals, and I also find the idea of homosexuality unsatisfying.
7. Most of the religions seem to say that homosexuals, for their homosexuality, are basically cursed to be punished in this life and the next.
8. I do not reject the opinion of these religions, and agree that the state of being a homosexual, or even a woman, is a terrible existence here.

I think that homosexual freedom is a major human rights issue, and it would be unfair to impose certain restrictions on these people without careful care just as it would be to impose heavy regulations on women and any human beings with differences to the dominant majority of imposers of law, heterosexual jocks like myself who go rrrrhmphffff.

So those are pretty mixed up views. Similar to my views on Abortion and other issues.

I believe Abortion is forbidden, and that people must have the right and freedom to decide what grows in their bodies and how their bodies are used, and that people who might have abortions willy-nilly are probably junk people.

Its all mixed up always, back and forth seeming, but that is because I carefully examine things, and I decide what is right overall, best overall, right for me, wrong in general, they don't all get mixed up.

So people can do things I think are wrong and evil which are important to maintain as rights and freedoms which if disabled can cause a lot of problems even to good and decent people or people who may become better even.

I believe in miracles, both negative and positive, and that homosexuality can legitimately be "cured" as some have claimed by some miraculous switching of brain biology or chemistry or bacterias or whatever it might be, switched, just like I believe in all sorts of weird things being possible. I also believe this may be highly unlikely, and barely seems to ever happen or get claimed, and that people who have issues like that they are Trans, or are homosexual, or whatever, that is pretty much ingrained quite strongly and can't be changed very easily by any means except some miraculous transformation, which could be likened to suddenly having a finger when you were missing a finger or growing a new one, certainly not the norm.

I could think of a funny movie idea, where a person wakes up a heterosexual, with no memory of ever having been gay, and then being shown all sorts of things from their past which make them out to be a gay. A comedy?