• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Should homosexuals be chaste?

Should homosexual people be chaste?

• Total voters

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Isnt that a total self contradiction? How can something inappropriate be appropriate?

The idea of marriage is that its not appropriate to socialize with the opposite sex for a certain amount of time and marriage is an exception to the rule. People are today calling wrong right and right wrong.
I'm lost regarding what you are trying to say. :confused:

Skywalker

I'm lost regarding what you are trying to say. :confused:

I was discussing if the worlds standards on relationships are self contradictions. Before that, I was discussing why people view gay relationships as different from straight relationships that arent godly.

joelr

I just believe that chastity before marriage helps people avoid unnecessary heartache and sorrow.

Anyone's beliefs concerning sin is a separate issue in my opinion.
It works both ways. If a sex life is important to you then signing up to be with someone forever and not having sex with that person until after marriage can also be difficult. I saw this a few times, once from a womans point of view who married a very conservative man who had very "old fashioned" beliefs about sex and judging by body type (and things I was told) this man's interest in sex was overall very low (looked like a low testosterone thing). He was not willing to pursue medical help, considered it a non-issue and that was that.
Eventually many years later they separated for various reasons and now always insists on sexual compatibility being established before marriage is considered.
To each their own.

Goddess Kit

What gets me is that those most adamant about how others live their sexual lives are the ones who have been divorced and married several times while preferring to focus on a loving gay couple than the sinful heterosexuals who get to do whatever they want.

Shaul

Premium Member
Quite simply, all people should be chaste. Being chaste means abiding by the sexual principles or mores of your chosen religious or moral code. A person who is not chaste either doesn’t have any such a foundation or doesn’t adhere to the one they claim to profess. Both are problems.

Many of the posters here seem to conflate this with externally imposed sexual restrictions. That is something different and usually wrong.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The Bible says in the book of Corinthians about homosexuals "such some of you were". We are all born sinners. That's why we all need a Savior.

I'm not sure how this relates. The word homosexual in the bible does not mean sexual orientation. So, it has nothing to do with sin in the medical/21st century just the BC and those who wrote the bible. Even in the 1970s (US), homosexuality was seen as off.

Refer to it as same-sex sex not homosexuality. It will be less of an issue, just a difference of opinion since you're referring to the action and "not" associating it with a specific group of people.

But... my comment you quoted said I didn't know you can see the list of names who voted. How does your comment relate to that?

Skywalker

I'm not sure how this relates. The word homosexual in the bible does not mean sexual orientation. So, it has nothing to do with sin in the medical/21st century just the BC and those who wrote the bible. Even in the 1970s (US), homosexuality was seen as off.

Refer to it as same-sex sex not homosexuality. It will be less of an issue, just a difference of opinion since you're referring to the action and "not" associating it with a specific group of people.

But... my comment you quoted said I didn't know you can see the list of names who voted. How does your comment relate to that?

So homosexuality isnt an action?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So homosexuality isnt an action?

No. Not anymore in the States. It went from behavior to mental illness. When Homosexuality Stopped Being a Mental Disorder

Here's more information on it.
An Overview of Sexual Orientation

Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, asexual are just referring to the "sex" a person is attracted or lacks attraction to (who their attraction is predominately oriented), nothing more than that.

Heterosexuals tend to predominantly have sex with opposite gender
Homosexuals tend to predominately have sex with the same gender

It's not fixed in stone since sex is a behavior; and, we can control our behaviors. But that's the only way the two-behavior and orientation-are related are the sex of the person. The physiology of both parties is just the same as the neurology and psychology. Everyone is human.

What's a sin is same-sex behavior. Heterosexuals probably engage in this more than homosexuals do. So, the whole "homosexuality is a sin" argument is misguided.

Skywalker

No. Not anymore in the States. It went from behavior to mental illness. When Homosexuality Stopped Being a Mental Disorder

Here's more information on it.
An Overview of Sexual Orientation

Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, asexual are just referring to the "sex" a person is attracted or lacks attraction to (who their attraction is predominately oriented), nothing more than that.

Heterosexuals tend to predominantly have sex with opposite gender
Homosexuals tend to predominately have sex with the same gender

It's not fixed in stone since sex is a behavior; and, we can control our behaviors. But that's the only way the two-behavior and orientation-are related are the sex of the person. The physiology of both parties is just the same as the neurology and psychology. Everyone is human.

What's a sin is same-sex behavior. Heterosexuals probably engage in this more than homosexuals do. So, the whole "homosexuality is a sin" argument is misguided.

I believe lesbians are not homosexuals because many get involved in those kinds of relationships after heterosexual relationships.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe lesbians are not homosexuals because many get involved in those kinds of relationships after heterosexual relationships.

That's weird. Relationships have nothing to do with sexual orientation.

If that's true about attraction it would need to be the same the other way around:

Heterosexuality has nothing to do with relationships and the experiences people have to make them date one person over another.

-

Heterosexuality is not an attraction but only exist if someone was homosexual and decide to go into a heterosexual relationship?

Physiological attraction (from the scientific links I hoped you read) is real only if it depends on who one has a relationship with?

Skywalker

That's weird. Relationships have nothing to do with sexual orientation.

If that's true about attraction it would need to be the same the other way around:

Heterosexuality has nothing to do with relationships and the experiences people have to make them date one person over another.

-

Heterosexuality is not an attraction but only exist if someone was homosexual and decide to go into a heterosexual relationship?

Physiological attraction (from the scientific links I hoped you read) is real only if it depends on who one has a relationship with?

They had previous heterosexual orientation. Its not homosexuality in the strict biological definition of the term.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
They had previous heterosexual orientation. Its not homosexuality in the strict biological definition of the term.

Likewise the other way around. For this to be true, it has to apply to both sides.

Physiology of attraction is not dependent on behavior and relationships. Behavior and relationships are choices. Attraction is not.

So, I'm not sure how biology of attraction (sex irrelevant) can be based on relationships for one group and biological definition for the other.

Skywalker

Likewise the other way around. For this to be true, it has to apply to both sides.

Physiology of attraction is not dependent on behavior and relationships. Behavior and relationships are choices. Attraction is not.

So, I'm not sure how biology of attraction (sex irrelevant) can be based on relationships for one group and biological definition for the other.

Attraction can be a choice if the attraction is related to relationship disappointment. It's a choice if behaviors and relationships are related to experiences. Women have relationship plasticity for the same reason people say that sisters are closer than brothers.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Attraction can be a choice if the attraction is related to relationship disappointment. It's a choice if behaviors and relationships are related to experiences. Women have relationship plasticity for the same reason people say that sisters are closer than brothers.

(I read) You can choose whether you have goosebumps in your tummy and catch a quick eye of someone you hormones react to before you can think of what your body felt or did?

Maybe people can suppress their biological attractions and choose to be in relationships by that suppression, but physiology of attraction being a choice?

Sexuality is discovered in puberty, for example. Teens haven't had relationships and they still know who they are attracted to. I'm not getting the connection between attraction and relationships.

A person's sex should be irrelevant in this thought since it should apply to both parties regardless who their physiology responds to.

Skywalker

(I read) You can choose whether you have goosebumps in your tummy and catch a quick eye of someone you hormones react to before you can think of what your body felt or did?

Maybe people can suppress their biological attractions and choose to be in relationships by that suppression, but physiology of attraction being a choice?

Sexuality is discovered in puberty, for example. Teens haven't had relationships and they still know who they are attracted to. I'm not getting the connection between attraction and relationships.

A person's sex should be irrelevant in this thought since it should apply to both parties regardless who their physiology responds to.
The physiology of attraction can be a choice if it's the byproduct of something that they are more aware of. Genetic behavior is spontaneous. Learned behavior is behavior that you are more aware of.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The physiology of attraction can be a choice if it's the byproduct of something that they are more aware of. Genetic behavior is spontaneous. Learned behavior is behavior that you are more aware of.

But this is way before they are adults. Physiology happens during puberty way before relationships and definition thereof start to develop in a child's mind. You can suppress feelings but they aren't caused as a byproduct of our choice.

That would mean you can become homosexual by having a relationship with someone who is homosexual. You can do so by changing your biological response in order for your body to respond to people of the same gender?

I know sexual attraction cause some people to act on their attraction, but it's not the action that defines the nature of their attraction.

Skywalker

But this is way before they are adults. Physiology happens during puberty way before relationships and definition thereof start to develop in a child's mind. You can suppress feelings but they aren't caused as a byproduct of our choice.

That would mean you can become homosexual by having a relationship with someone who is homosexual. You can do so by changing your biological response in order for your body to respond to people of the same gender?

I know sexual attraction cause some people to act on their attraction, but it's not the action that defines the nature of their attraction.
To answer your question about puberty and biology, women relate to other women differently than men relate to other men.

Skywalker

@Eddi

If you agree that the Bible is the word of God, then the answer HAS to be yes. Sodomy is called an abomination.

Sex is powerful, and can at times be destructive when people have no clear idea who can sleep with whom, or when children are born into a world where they are not sheltered by a committed mother and father. Therefore sex is protected by marriage, which is a man and woman committed to each other with the intent to create a family with children, or something very close to that ideal. For example, a couple too old to have more children, or a barren couple are close enough to the idea. A gay relationship, no matter how loving, is not because gay sex does not produce children.

Given that sex is moral only within marriage, anyone who is not married should refrain from sex (or refrain from extramarital affairs). This includes fornication, and cohabiting. The rule if you are not married is celebacy. So its not just gays, but it certainly includes gays.

I believe that people socializing with the opposite gender the same way they would with the opposite gender is no different from cohabitation.