• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Politics of Shaving

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, after "Movember" and "Januhairy," and with this new Gillette advertisement, shaving has become a political statement.

I usually buy those cheapie store brand disposable razors anyway.

TheresOnlyNow

The Mind Is Everything. U R What U Think
It's a play on the new phrase, toxic masculinity.
The message being, men should be more like women.

Baladas

An Págánach
I'm curious as to how this could be seen as a "political" statement, rather than simply a social one.
Regardless, I only shave to touch-up the areas around my beard.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I usually buy those cheapie store brand disposable razors anyway.

Me, not even that... double-edge razors, and one handle... $0.02 a blade, and mine are fancy ones that are extra sharp/strong and made in Japan. :D

This is truly one area in your life where you can save so much money it's ridiculous. Those cheap-y razors are still about 3-4 bucks for six here, so I'll take two cents over 30-50 cents a piece.... :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Electric razors rule....fast, cheap, bloodless, green.
As for anyone who says "toxic masculinity" with a
straight face & no intent of mirth, they'll get rotten
haggis next taco Tuesday.

(I've been really successful with that threat.)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Pathetic commercial, surely written by some lesbian to depict all men as potential rapists....

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Electric razors rule....fast, cheap, bloodless, green.
As for anyone who says "toxic masculinity" with a
straight face & no intent of mirth, they'll get rotten
haggis next taco Tuesday.

(I've been really successful with that threat.)

by the by, how would the American feminists define this Italian ad? sexist? machista? insensitive?

PureX

Veteran Member
Everything is political to people who choose to see politics everywhere they look. I am quite certain, however, that the motive for this advertisement is to increase profits for Gillette, and not to make any socio-political statements.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it really "political" to say that men shouldn't excuse or downplay rape and misogyny, and should make an active attempt to better themselves and their treatment of women?

If an individual man decides to improve himself and his treatment of women, then that's one thing. But if one brings up this thing called "toxic masculinity" and feels personally responsible for the actions of all men, just because he's the same gender, then that's most definitely political. Likewise, if some men decide they're going to boycott Gillette because they find such ads to be offensive towards men (painting them as all the same), then that's political, too.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Me, not even that... double-edge razors, and one handle... $0.02 a blade, and mine are fancy ones that are extra sharp/strong and made in Japan. :D

This is truly one area in your life where you can save so much money it's ridiculous. Those cheap-y razors are still about 3-4 bucks for six here, so I'll take two cents over 30-50 cents a piece.... :D

I used to use those, but I'd end up cutting up my face and having to cover the cuts with little pieces of toilet paper. One time I cut the upper part of my lip so bad, I decided to grow a mustache instead.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
If an individual man decides to improve himself and his treatment of women, then that's one thing. But if one brings up this thing called "toxic masculinity" and feels personally responsible for the actions of all men, just because he's the same gender, then that's most definitely political.
Why? Do you think only select men need to behave decently towards women? Do you not accept that there is a broader, sociological problem at work that can and does affect not only men on an individual level, but society as a whole and its expectations of men in general?

Likewise, if some men decide they're going to boycott Gillette because they find such ads to be offensive towards men (painting them as all the same), then that's political, too.
But such efforts would be reactionary and misguided, since that's not what the advert is doing. Naturally, people can do what they want, but I think to try and paint this issue as "political" and suggest that the mere fact of it being so justified a boycott is to miss the actual point being raised - one that men, in general, should try to be understanding and respectful towards women and social issues. It's just a way of avoiding engaging in thinking seriously about this widespread social problem, not really a way of actually improving any situation. Because some problems actually aren't an issue with just individual men, but with a larger social problem. A problem which may not even entirely be the fault of just men, or that only men can resolve, but a problem that evidently not enough men are willing to take a stance on or even acknowledge (good evidence of that being this very thread itself).

I'm aware that this is an advertising campaign, and it ultimately comes down to a cynical marketing ploy to try and appeal to people who will accept and agree with this message, but it is - at the very least - indication that this subject is worth talking about and addressing enough that massive, global companies are willing to put their chips on the idea being marketable to a mass audience. At the very least it is making a statement that Gillette feels this is an audience worth marketing to. Whether that's a good or bad thing overall is really a subject for further debate.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Pathetic commercial, surely written by some lesbian to depict all men as potential rapists....

You have evidence this ad was written by a lesbian, and incidentally produced and published by lesbians? With lesbian actors? And how about the Gillette company advertising department, are they all lesbian too? What about the razor and blade, also lesbian?

Could it not be written by a gay guy who is just one of the girls? Or perhaps by an advertising team whos current theme is controversy?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I used to use those, but I'd end up cutting up my face and having to cover the cuts with little pieces of toilet paper. One time I cut the upper part of my lip so bad, I decided to grow a mustache instead.

Eh, there is definitely a technique. You have to keep the blade 45 degrees to your face and use absolutely no pressure. (It's absolutely NOT needed.) If you're not using really good blades they tend to snag rather than cut, if you try to force them then you cut yourself. :D

Anyway, a package of blade lasts me like years. :D As far as cuts, there is a shaving "pencil" that you can use that is far more effective than the whole tp thing. It rather immediately closes the wound, if one occurs. Still using the same one that I bought 11 years ago. :D https://www.amazon.com/CLUBMAN-STYP...words=shaving+pencil&psc=1&smid=ASEVS99O6FS73 (these are available at most grocery stores/pharmacies, not hard to find.) Good to have around, good for minor first aid situations as well. :D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You see...guys?

I'm speechless...really ...it's ugly to see how far the feminist propaganda has gone

So you are saying that not all men have penis?

I did say "potentially" and i did say " but most are better than that"

Which for some reason you forgot to highlight. Any particular reason why?