• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please, prove me wrong.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
demonstrate a reality where God is not part of.

This one.
There's no God here except what people choose to believe. Or maybe they don't choose but I mean that God is only a mental experience. There is no concrete, physical, material God.

Mentally, anything you can imagine can exist in your head and that's ok but it is not the reality that we live in.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've been an atheist for some time.
Quite a long time.
I had good life.
I still do :)
But today i fear, i wasted a lot of time in my life if what i've learned about God is true.
Not that I am not grateful that i discovered it, but it is a scary thought to suddenly understand how blind you were in the past and how many wrong decision i could have avoided if i've learned God a few years earlier.

So to overcome that fear, i would love someone to prove me wrong and demonstrate a reality where God is not part of.
Not the "angles and demons" God. rather God.
The one thing we all fail to understand until things suddenly "click".

I don't think anyone can prove you wrong. If something clicks, it's usually so big one can't turn back from. I hear it said, "I was blind and now see." If blindness is fear and negative, I wouldn't suggest anyone to burst your bubble to be blind again. Literally and metaphorically, many people born blind may not want to see. They navigate the world just fine and, from my witness, more than I and many other can who "see the light." It's in perspective.

Unless the click wasn't strong enough, why challenge it? Not everyone builds truth on challenging their beliefs. Unless challenging your experiences makes you stronger, I don't see any benefit in proving that god isn't part of reality.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Quite a long time.
I had good life.
But today i fear, i wasted a lot of time in my life if what i've learned about God is true.
Not that I am not grateful that i discovered it, but it is a scary thought to suddenly understand how blind you were in the past and how many wrong decision i could have avoided if i've learned God a few years earlier.

So to overcome that fear, i would love someone to prove me wrong and demonstrate a reality where God is not part of.

The journey does not stop at finding God, it only begins.

The same choices will still be faced. The spirit in which we face those choices changes.

Regards Tony

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Quite a long time.
I had good life.

Prove you wrong?!?!?!?! Nothing of the sort is possible regardless of what you believe. Such a requirement is a fool's request, because of one's insecurity.

I believe in God from the Baha'i perspective as the Universal 'Source' some call God(s), but do not find or learned, or even discovered about a God being True ' .

Fear is a problem here as a motive to find anything that may be believed from the human perspective.

Looking forward anything you would have to offer that would clarify what you believe.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I don't have a definition of God.
Think of it as undefined.
Yet God defines us.
It literally defined us.
so i would say God is what defined the reality as we experience.
Although it is undefined, you can see its impact.
The same as you can see the impact of gravity.

If you can't think of a definition, there is nothing to talk about. No matter the argument against the existence of God, you might as well answer: But that has nothing to do with the god I believe.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Quite a long time.
I had good life.

A starting point might be to consider whether God is real ─ has objective existence, can be found in the natural world ─ or whether God exists only as an idea, a concept, an imaginary entity.

The evidence that God is imaginary is enormous. For example ─

There is no definition of a real God such that if we found a real suspect we could determine whether it was God or not. (Golly, even unicorns are sufficiently described for us to do that.)

Nor is there any concept of "godness", the quality a real god would have and eg a real superscientist who could create universes, raise the dead, travel in time &c would lack.

God neither says nor does. Everything we're told about God is told by other humans, and in human-recorded stories.

Around the world, the range of concepts of gods and supernatural beings is enormous ─ there's no spontaneous coherence of ideas. If God were real, then everyone could agree what real thing God was, just as they can agree about other real things.

The world behaves exactly as if God existed only as a concept, an idea, a thing imagined.

There is not one single authenticated instance of a miracle ─ or indeed anything supernatural.

The fact that supernatural beliefs are found in virtually every culture points to their being an evolved human tendency. I agree with the hypothesis that having language, customs, and stories in common is good for tribal bonding and cooperation, and that having a system of supernatural explanations and beliefs regarding nature, birth, fertility, death, luck and so on is part of that, and may arise from the evolved human instinct to instantly imagine an explanation for an unexplained phenomenon (which is an ability good for survival).

And more.​

On the other hand, if thinking there's a benevolent god brings you comfort and doesn't detract from your treating other people with respect and decency, then it's a question for you whether this involves a conflict between your desire for true statements about reality and your desire for an imagined comforter.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sergev,

"Experience is, for me, the highest authority. The touchstone of validity is my own experience. No other person's ideas, and none of my own ideas, are as authoritative as my experience. It is to experience that I must return again and again, to discover a closer approximation to truth as it is in the process of becoming in me. Neither the Bible nor the prophets -- neither Freud nor research -- neither the revelations of God nor man -- can take precedence over my own direct experience. My experience is not authoritative because it is infallible. It is the basis of authority because it can always be checked in new primary ways. In this way its frequent error or fallibility is always open to correction." (Source: Carl Rogers, Humanistic Psychologist)

Your experience is unlikely to mirror mine. I suggest you not rely too awfully heavily on what any human being tells you. Someone can be very articulate and persuasive and yet wrong. Good luck in your journey.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Quite a long time.
I had good life.

Quite a long time.
I had good life.

What sorts of things would, if they were true, prove your god false?

If your belief is unfalsifiable, then it's irrational. Trying to prove it false would become a moot point.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Not quite.
I want to see if i am misleading my self.
I have discovered so many things in the past few months.
I don't believe things too easily.
I will not trust anyone's word without proper evidence.
And yes, It scares me to find to much truth in places i've once thought to be idiotic.
So as i am used to, I am looking for people to shout out why it might be that i am wrong.
Thats the only way i can really be sure ;)

I think your first problem was thinking of such ways of thinking as idiotic.

The truth is that we do not know either way, but that looking around us can give us a suspicion that Creator exists, not necessarily a god. They might even be clues, but they are not conclusive as there are many other possible explanations.

If a person says that God definitely exists or definitely does not exist, knowing that there is still infinitely more knowledge to unlock and much that we are ignorant of even amongst the knowledge currently unlocked by humanity, then they have a problem with their reasoning.

If you believe, then be content with believing.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Not quite.
I want to see if i am misleading my self.
I have discovered so many things in the past few months.
I don't believe things too easily.
I will not trust anyone's word without proper evidence.
And yes, It scares me to find to much truth in places i've once thought to be idiotic.
So as i am used to, I am looking for people to shout out why it might be that i am wrong.
Thats the only way i can really be sure ;)

Hi Segev. Fully agree with you that no description of God however deep is anything but our own imaginations so whatever concept of God we worship in reality we are worshipping our own imaginations whilst God is beyond any comprehension of Him. Only admitting this can we really belive in God for He is not God if He is a figment of our own imaginations.

This quote by Baha’u’llah is what I believe describes how God is best not described similar to many things you have stated. Baha’u’llah has said that God is an ‘unknowable Essence’

“To every discerning and illumined heart it is evident that God, the unknowable Essence, the divine Being, is immensely exalted beyond every human attribute, such as corporeal existence, ascent and descent, egress and regress. Far be it from His glory that human tongue should adequately recount His praise, or that human heart comprehend His fathomless mystery. He is and hath ever been veiled in the ancient eternity of His Essence, and will remain in His Reality everlastingly hidden from the sight of men. “No vision taketh in Him, but He taketh in all vision; He is the Subtile, the All-Perceiving.”[72] No tie of direct intercourse can possibly bind Him to His creatures. He standeth exalted beyond and above all separation and union, all proximity and remoteness. No sign can indicate His presence or His absence; inasmuch as by a word of His command all that are in heaven and on earth have come to exist, and by His wish, which is the Primal Will itself, all have stepped out of utter nothingness into the realm of being, the world of the visible.”

(Book of Certitude)

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Quite a long time.
I had good life.

It is logically impossible to falsify the unfalsifiable. So your request isn't reasonable.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Its quite important though.
It is what makes science so powerful tool to teach us our reallity.
In a nut shell...
If you have a theory that cannot be disproved, it will not be regarded as a scientific theory, so it needs to be both proven and not broken.
A scientific theory also defines predictions that will prove the theory right.

Scientific theories, are never considered proven or even proveable. Hence why they are called "theories".
Scientific theories can only be supported.

And one of the requirements to qualify as a theory (or hypothesis), is that it must be falsifiable. As in, there must be some testable prediction which when tested and shown wrong, would show the theory to be false.

So in short, a theory can never be proven, only supported.
But a theory can be disproven.

So, in a way, you could say that science isn't in the business of "proving" things. It actually is in the business of disproving things.

For example, i can theorize that flies will be 50 times bigger in the next 100 years.

That's not a theory.
A theory is a model, a proposed explanation, for a set of facts within a well-defined scope.

The prediction cannot be "because i said so". it must a valid measurement points in its way.
So i can say that based on my theory, in 30 days, the average size of all flies will double.
It is measurable.

Not a theory.

This is not how religion works these days.

Religion never worked like science. Religion is based on faith and dogma. Science is based on evidence and avoids dogma like the plague.

It actually almost works the other way around.

Not 'almost". It does.

Too many people disregard what science teaches and it causes great harm to societies in many countries in the world (if not all)

Yes. Whenever science is being dissmissed in favour of religious dogma, misery almost always follows.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I am 100% percent sure, without a shred of a doubt there is a God :)
I learn it every passing day, and every day it SCARES me to realize how much i have missed.
Well I am not one to persuade anyone out of such a belief, even if I am predisposed to not ever believe that such understanding is so readily available (by knowledge or feelings) - especially when I know I might be deceived as to such. And frankly, from what I can see regarding our existence, it usually depends upon how we take in our experiences and process information as to how it affects us. I must be a bit blunt (or dull) I suppose since the main thing that has scared me, or truly troubled me, has been my past behaviour, but one can't rewind time unfortunately.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Segev,

There is no right or wrong, here, there is only possibility, and choice.

The question I would ask you is; is your life and your effect on the lives of those around you better for your believing in the existence of God? If yes, then stop looking for ways to counteract it.

Tambourine

Fear is never a good motivator, I think. It creates tunnel vision and numbs your ability to think clearly.

Hawkins

Hey Segev,

If you're adopting a claim, such as "God exists," the onus is on you to demonstrate it's true, not for others to demonstrate it's false.

So perhaps you could start by telling us which God you're referring to or how you define God, and what has convinced you he/she/it exists?

Typical atheistic nonsense. If I said that Confucius existed, simply because he's from a history book. It's not my claim and no one has the burden of proof.

Similarly, God exists is supposedly from those who encountered Him. They are long dead.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Typical atheistic nonsense. If I said that Confucius existed, simply because he's from a history book. It's not my claim and no one has the burden of proof.

Yes, they do. If you claim Confucius existed, you adopt a burden of proof for that. Your evidence is that history books say he did. Then we look at those history books to see how reliable they are and what evidence they're basing their assessment on. It's not nonsense at all, it's basic skeptical critical thinking.

Similarly, God exists is supposedly from those who encountered Him. They are long dead.

Right, so we look at what they wrote to determine if what they said is credible or the available evidence aligns with their claims. None of this allows a person to escape the burden of proof once they make a positive claim.