• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please, let me know!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can clearly see that people seem to avoid ideas that do not fit into their happy thoughts.

So, I would love to know what you all think about what the difference might be between people who will only entertain happy ideas and the people who self-medicate with drugs or alcohol.

Please, and thank you.

To me, they seem very similar.

Will you please show me where I am wrong?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I am avoiding this thread, it doesn't seem like a happy one.

turnon.jpg

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I can clearly see that people seem to avoid ideas that do not fit into their happy thoughts.

So, I would love to know what you all think about what the difference might be between people who will only entertain happy ideas and the people who self-medicate with drugs or alcohol.

Please, and thank you.

I use both. Alcohol for physical pain, happy thoughts for emotional pain. Controlling one's thoughts take a bit of practice. I find meditation to be helpful in this.

Alcohol OTOH doesn't take much practice.

Supposedly even physical pain can be dealt with without drugs. Something I'd like to be able to master but haven't.

So alcohol/drugs is a quick fix, doesn't take a lot of effort. Other solutions are not as easy or convenient.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Please, and thank you.

Drugs and alcohol bring with them other problems. They are often like bashing one's head with a hammer to take one's mind off a painful foot.

The human mind, in fact all life, is constructed to avoid pain and seek pleasure in one form or another. Avoiding some ideas is part of that picture.

If someone's mind is not fogged with drugs, there's a chance to decide to recognize the avoidance and deal with it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Please, and thank you.

Depending on how else those people behave, the wishful thinking route may be considerably safer, if only because its adherents are more prone to responding to reality checks.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Please, and thank you.

i've used music a lot to deal with ptsd and anxiety. it goes to the idea of neuroplasticity.

I've also used this site as a medium for discussing ideas and not being verbally or physically assaulted. i've used both in conjunction at times to convey a thought, or question.

How Music Helps to Heal the Injured Brain: Therapeutic Use Crescendos Thanks to Advances in Brain Science

Music has powerful (and visible) effects on the brain

What is Music Therapy | What is Music Therapy? | American Music Therapy Association (AMTA)

Definition of Neuroplasticity

i have seen the eye of the storm

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My solutions to unhappy thoughts.does not rely on alcohol, very rarely touch it, or drugs, never touch any unprescribed drugs other than paracetamol. My solution is accept it, handle it and move on

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Depending on how else those people behave, the wishful thinking route may be considerably safer, if only because its adherents are more prone to responding to reality checks.
I think I can see that they are being less prone. People who are happy in their belief are less prone to look at anything that might jeopardize their mental paradise.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My solutions to unhappy thoughts.does not rely on alcohol, very rarely touch it, or drugs, never touch any unprescribed drugs other than paracetamol. My solution is accept it, handle it and move on
That isn't what I meant. They are protecting their happy thoughts by not considering anything that might undermine them.

I see the danger in it. Danger in drinking and drugs but also danger in avoiding reasonableness to protect their happy thoughts.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They don't want to believe that they have been wrong. And, I suspect many of them would look down upon someone who drinks or does drugs.

But, to believe a lie to feel good is the same as to drink to feel good, but by one you can still drive and the other, not.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That isn't what I meant. They are protecting their happy thoughts by not considering anything that might undermine them.

I see the danger in it. Danger in drinking and drugs but also danger in avoiding reasonableness to protect their happy thoughts.

I knew it was not what you were asking but i believed my solution offered a 3d way.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the similarity is that its hard to think. Sometimes we don't want to. That doesn't apply to alcoholics, and there are different kinds of alcoholics. There actually is some bliss in ignorance, not the mere promise of it. I don't think its an addiction though it is like casual drinking.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

It is the nature of humans to seek a 'sense of well being' and a 'sense of belonging and community' as part of our natural desire of social cooperation for survival. Happiness is product when people feeling safe in the 'sense of belonging and community.'

Please, and thank you.

Doth of the alternatives bold above are problematic. Can you see the problem with 'people who will only entertain happy ideas?'

More to follow . . .

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I did the self-medication thing. Gave it up for self-meditation. Safer, less expensive, and much more enriching.

Rejecting anything besides happy thoughts/ideas only promotes ignorance.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is the nature of humans to seek a 'sense of well being' and a 'sense of belonging and community' as part of our natural desire of social cooperation for survival. Happiness is product when people feeling safe in the 'sense of belonging and community.'

Doth of the alternatives bold above are problematic. Can you see the problem with 'people who will only entertain happy ideas?'

More to follow . . .
I mean that they cherish their happy ideas so as not to listen to anything that might knock them down. Matthew 3:10 The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.

Ajarn

Drugs are like sweeping your Rubbish into a distant corner of the room, very satisfying.

When you come down and have some clarity you will see the Rubbish is still there.

You need to put the drugs down and pick up the Rubbish.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Drugs are like sweeping your Rubbish into a distant corner of the room, very satisfying.

When you come down and have some clarity you will see the Rubbish is still there.

You need to put the drugs down and pick up the Rubbish.
One cannot get rid of rubbish if he or she denies there is rubbish.