• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please, let me know!

Ajarn

One cannot get rid of rubbish if he or she denies there is rubbish.

Rubbish is obviously refering to psychological issues that lead to drug use.

With drugs you will certainly not have the clarity to see anything clearly thats my whole point.

Help you self from the inside out not with a chemical intake.

Does make up make a woman beatiful no, it masks her imperfections.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I mean that they cherish their happy ideas so as not to listen to anything that might knock them down. Matthew 3:10 The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.

That remains a problem, even as worded,

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
That isn't what I meant. They are protecting their happy thoughts by not considering anything that might undermine them.

I see the danger in it. Danger in drinking and drugs but also danger in avoiding reasonableness to protect their happy thoughts.
You are talking about living a lie. Never a good thing in the long run in my opinion. I see risk in it. Maybe similar in some ways to chemical fixes. Clearly any escapist effort would share some similarity of risk, but each would have their own unique risks as well. The important similarity is that all avoid the truth and inhibit positive action or limit it. I do not see that as good or sustainable.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
One cannot get rid of rubbish if he or she denies there is rubbish.
You may not be as poorly educated as you expressed elsewhere. What you say is very sensible. The trick is being savvy enough to understand that and to figure out what is really rubbish. Some things are rubbish to everyone and some things are rubbish relative to a person, time or place. A person has to decide for themselves to recognize rubbish and to sort it, but is OK and wise to seek council in arriving at those decisions.

We Never Know

No Slack
Drugs are like sweeping your Rubbish into a distant corner of the room, very satisfying.

When you come down and have some clarity you will see the Rubbish is still there.

You need to put the drugs down and pick up the Rubbish.

Like the saying goes - "You can't defeat your demons if you're still enjoying their company".

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I can clearly see that people seem to avoid ideas that do not fit into their happy thoughts.

Some. Seeking external confirmation of bias is easier than ever, but drinking the koolaid strikes me as the fast food of intellect.

So, I would love to know what you all think about what the difference might be between people who will only entertain happy ideas and the people who self-medicate with drugs or alcohol.

Define 'self-medicate'?
I drink alcohol. By some standards a fairly high amount. I'm also an optimist, and generally happy with my life. I just like tasty, tasty beer.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Define 'self-medicate'?
I drink alcohol. By some standards a fairly high amount. I'm also an optimist, and generally happy with my life. I just like tasty, tasty beer.
Me too! I also like the taste of wine. But, self medicate means that I sometimes use it to help me to feel like my life is smoother than the awful bumpiness that it is. I usually don't drink to medicate. I think there is a fine line between being in control of my drinking and losing control of it. My daddy was an alcoholic.

The people that I see who believe they are living the truth are as though they are self-medicating imo. I KNOW that some doctrine that they call true isn't. And, according to their belief system and mine, it will turn out badly for them just as it will turn out badly for people who drink too much. They know and teach that liars will not inherit God's Kingdom but they can't see that they are lying.

Like, I lie to myself when I tell myself that one more drink won't hurt. (I don't do drugs but, some people think I should do prescription drugs, I have heard) LOL

I lost a lot of weight and now, I am down to one drink a day. :(