• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pick up

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Do you ever get into a deep funk? Like depressed, to the point you just want to do nothing with yourself?

If so, do you have any solution to the random phenomena of depression?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Yeah, I get that way sometimes. But, at least in my thinking, it's not random. Even small, circumstantial bouts of depression have a cause. Most people will tell you to try to find things to do that you enjoy, and while this can be helpful, I've found that I like to trace my depression back to the source, and deal with the problem head on at it's root. Sometimes it takes awhile, but it's ultimately really helpful if you can find out the source of what's making you feel that way.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Yeah, I get that way sometimes. But, at least in my thinking, it's not random. Even small, circumstantial bouts of depression have a cause. Most people will tell you to try to find things to do that you enjoy, and while this can be helpful, I've found that I like to trace my depression back to the source, and deal with the problem head on at it's root. Sometimes it takes awhile, but it's ultimately really helpful if you can find out the source of what's making you feel that way.

Well, I mean, I think I know the root. I am just unsure how to fix it, since I am pretty sure it stems from being disappointed in myself for being such a shy person, plus loneliness.

Very embarrassing reasons to. :eek:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Get outside. I mean, like hiking somewhere. That can be very helpful.

I know that's simplistic advice but sometimes the KISS approach is good (Keep It Simple, Stupid)!

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I guess random, wasn't all that appropriate. I really ment random, as in, I usually never care about the reasons as to why I am depressed. So why all of a sudden they bother me? :shrug:

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Get outside. I mean, like hiking somewhere. That can be very helpful.

I know that's simplistic advice but sometimes the KISS approach is good (Keep It Simple, Stupid)!

Yes, it may help. I might visit family in DE soon, hopefully. My Grandfather lives in the middle of nowhere, and its always peaceful. Nicer then the big city.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Go and serve people food at a shelter, this volunteering and DOING helps me feel like I'm moving forward and 'fixing' more than doing nothing... I feel useful.... and before long I find myself doing the volunteering with a fuller heart and with more cheer in my day.

"Be the change...." , you know that saying, no?

I'm not exactly outgoing .... at least I don't feel that way.... but when I know why I'm 'out there' in the world, it's a lot easier to be in a room full of people and it helps me learn about my own issues and feelings with social scenes.

atropine

Somewhere Out There
You need a cause to fight for and a woman worth fighting for.

[youtube]HiqmZLOaD8o[/youtube]
Mulan-A girl worth fighting for - YouTube

Or a man. Or a really adorable puppy.

But seriously... While I generally disagree with needing to have a partner of any sort, I do agree with the idea of having something worth going on for. Do you have any charities or places nearby that would accept volunteer work? Sometimes doing good things to help people can curb a depressive funk.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Do you ever get into a deep funk? Like depressed, to the point you just want to do nothing with yourself?

If so, do you have any solution to the random phenomena of depression?
Are we talking circumstantial or clinical?

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
See your doctor (or find one) to be sure there's no obvious physical cause.

Get some counseling. Seriously, a "paid friend" can help you figure out what's going on in your head and can give you suggestions on how to get past such mini-depressions more effectively.

If you don't feel you can afford professional help, go to the nearest social services office where you live. They can work out a fee based upon what you and they determine you can afford. That's what I did once when I hadn't much money. It was the best investment of my life!

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
My ultimate music therapy, for when I'm in the throes of my (clinical) depression, is The Wake Of Magellan by Savatage (aka Trans-Siberian Orchestra, which is better known), a rock opera about overcoming suicidal depression. And dude, speaking as someone who's struggled with that from the tender age of 8... the author has been there.

It's pure catharsis, drags you down into the darkness, but then walks you back into the light. Rather exhausting, but it hasn't let me down yet.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I think I have just been suppressing who I used to be too much. Maybe I should go a bit back towards the old, do this and that for me and only for me, instead of trying to appease others or trying to get noticed so much. Especially with the opposite sex. In other words, start being a bit more of a selfish jerk. Just keep the other trash in the past.

I figure, if I don't care no more, then I wont care bout disappointment or failure.

I also should stop caring about what others do to each other. As long as its not me nor my family, I shouldn't get sadden by some strangers murder.

Dezzie

I get that way sometimes... what I do to come out of it is lay down in my bed. My bed is so comfortable that it just makes me happy again. Naps usually work too.

I completely agree with Kathryn as well. Hiking is so much fun. I went on a 5 mile hike last weekend and it made me so happy. I felt like Indiana Jones because it was in the middle of the forest! I highly recommend it!