• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Physics or Spirit?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Seriously. Why jump to conclusions when it's obvious. Also, I didn't rule out luck. Physics can explain what's going on in the video. It's the perfect timing that is harder to explain.

I don't understand why that would require "special explanation"?

Car goes flying.
Doesn't matter if it flies over something or not.

Physics doesn't care.

Close calls happen every day. Why would they need special explanation?

Viker

Häxan
I don't understand why that would require "special explanation"?

Car goes flying.
Doesn't matter if it flies over something or not.

Physics doesn't care.

Close calls happen every day. Why would they need special explanation?
I dunno. It probably eats at some folk. I'm satisfied with what I can conclude.

exchemist

Veteran Member

For 18 years John taught high school physics, and says it's not physics. I agree.
I've seen this played out before, but the end result does not appear to be consistent with physics.

Your thoughts, and why.
Physics, obviously.

And why? Because SUVs obey physics.

In fact, the SUV does NOT fly over the white car anyway. When it comes down again, its front wheels land on the edge of the road, after the white car has passed. The camera angle is deceptive.

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Physics, obviously.

And why? Because SUVs obey physics.

Even those sponsored by Jesus?

6693_w_760_568.jpg

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I want an 'expert' opinion.
Then why ask here?

There are forums on the internet that deal solely in physics and you might be able to get answers from people who have advanced degrees in that subject, some might even have expertise in the physics of cars.

Seeing that you put ‘expert’ in quotes it seems you don’t want an expert opinion.

What is it you do want?

idea

Question Everything
They call it luck. I still don't know what luck means to them.

Civil engineers designed those guard rails to protect the bridge. Started them at just the right distance, gave them the right angle. Loaded semi-trucks might take it out, little 4000 lb cars can be designed for.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That's fair. @sayak83 is an actual physicist IIRC, I wonder what he thinks?
I am not seeing anything non-physical here. The car hit a bumper and an obstacle at high speed and its kinetic energy component got diverted in the upward direction causing it to get launched upwards. Once launched it traversed am appx parabolic pathway as expected and returned to ground. No rule of mechanics got violated as far as I see. The car underneath was fortunately located where the flying car reached the highest point above the ground and hence escaped.
Basically what happend was an uncontrolled version of this

I am not strictly a physicist. I have a PhD in mechanical engineering and do research in car and aviation engine combustion, alternative fuel generation and usage as well as other allied fields in heat transfer, fluid mechanics, chemistry and thermodynamics. So I can be reasonably called an expert I believe.
@nPeace

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Let's pretend the car didn't hit he pole, didn't come off the ground and did strike the priest's car. How many ways, by changing various parts of what happened, could that have been avoided?

It could hit the pole in just the right way, as actually. happened. Thousands of things could have happened that caused the priest's car to be somewhere else at the time when the black car entered the road. At the speed the priest was traveling, how many seconds travel would it take to avoid the black car? Two? We could work it out, but a very short time I'm sure. OK, so maybe the priest cleaned his teeth for two seconds less time, and left his house two seconds earlier, just enough to be past the point of impact. Maybe he couldn't find his car keys for a minute or so. He arrives at the accident site well after it happened. A thousand and one variations on his route could make him vary his speed and avoid the collision. Most of these "changes", even if anyone was aware of them, would not be connected to the accident in people's minds.

Yet only one, the one that actually happened, would have, and in real life did, trigger the "miracle" claim. Though if we are looking for divine intervention, any of these things could have been caused by God and therefore qualify as a miracle. It's all a matter of perception.

nPeace

Veteran Member
How is that not physics?
The pole literally acts like a ramp for the car.

This is a perfect example of a type 2 cognition error I was talking about in that other thread.

You want to believe.

Yes, it's an amazing coincidence. No laws of physics are being defied or violated here.
How you got me in there as wanting to believe, is amazingly baffling.
I wonder which post you read.

John believes. It's John that said he believes it was a guardian angel. Not me.

Speaking of the other thread, since John does the same thing you do - believe without evidence, do you sympathize with John, or are you criticizing him?
Well your jumping on me for no good reason answers that for me. So question...
Why are you here attacking me for John's mistake?
Are you - an atheist - more righteous, and less prone to being superstitious than John?

This was my point... at least one of them, in the other thread.
Do you address it here, or avoid it... again? :)

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
As has been stated "strike poll = car fly."

I've done it in my own car. Off a cliff edge no less. (I landed upside down in a tree).
:fearscream:
Did luck save you, or the tree? :eek:
What's luck? Trying to find out what that means to an atheist. Not that you are an atheist... but you might know. :)

nPeace

Veteran Member
Civil engineers designed those guard rails to protect the bridge. Started them at just the right distance, gave them the right angle. Loaded semi-trucks might take it out, little 4000 lb cars can be designed for.
That's luck? :confused:

nPeace

Veteran Member
I am not seeing anything non-physical here. The car hit a bumper and an obstacle at high speed and its kinetic energy component got diverted in the upward direction causing it to get launched upwards. Once launched it traversed am appx parabolic pathway as expected and returned to ground. No rule of mechanics got violated as far as I see. The car underneath was fortunately located where the flying car reached the highest point above the ground and hence escaped.
Basically what happend was an uncontrolled version of this

I am not strictly a physicist. I have a PhD in mechanical engineering and do research in car and aviation engine combustion, alternative fuel generation and usage as well as other allied fields in heat transfer, fluid mechanics, chemistry and thermodynamics. So I can be reasonably called an expert I believe.
@nPeace
At first glance of the screenshot, I thought it was the 'Dukes of Hazard'. Then I realized it's idiots.

I notice the ramp is solid, weighs about as much, or more than the vehicle, and doesn't bend.
I would not expect to see the car remain on the ground... The tires are meant to travel along a solid surface.
Replicating it on a pole would be useful.