• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Physics or Spirit?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
At first glance of the screenshot, I thought it was the 'Dukes of Hazard'. Then I realized it's idiots.

I notice the ramp is solid, weighs about as much, or more than the vehicle, and doesn't bend.
I would not expect to see the car remain on the ground... The tires are meant to travel along a solid surface.
Replicating it on a pole would be useful.
The video has the car flying for much longer because the ramp is specifically designed for that. In that controlled accident the car was in the air for much shorter time because the upward deflection of energy by the reaction of the bumper and the pole was less.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
How you got me in there as wanting to believe, is amazingly baffling.

How so?
You literally posted this thread to suggest there is something more going on then mere physics. It's even right there in the thread title "physics or spirit?".

The only reason you did that is because you have a priori beliefs that you want to rationalize.
You are grasping. There is no reason at all to suggest anything but basic physics is going on here.

So your motivation to suggest such anyway, must come from somewhere else.
That's what I am referring to when I said that you "want to believe".

You have faith based beliefs that there is such a thing as "spirits" who "intervene" in the world to "make stuff happen". You wish to defend and rationalize such beliefs. This is the only reason why you attempt to read stuff into events like in the clip without any lead or evidence.

Now if there was NO POLE to act like a ramp and the car just went flying out of nowhere for no reason at all, then you could ask the question of what is going on there...
But that's not the case at all, is it?

It's just basic physics correlating with a coincidence. And you just engage in a type 2 cognition error to try and validate your a priori beliefs in magic.

That's all that is going on here.

John believes. It's John that said he believes it was a guardian angel. Not me.
Why are you here attacking me for John's mistake?

:rolleyes:

It seems I must remind you of what you yourself said in the OP. Not the bolded part.

For 18 years John taught high school physics, and says it's not physics. I agree.
I've seen this played out before, but the end result does not appear to be consistent with physics.

Those are YOUR WORDS referring to YOURSELF.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
What's luck, and where does it come from?
It doesn't come from anywhere. It doesn't exist as a "thing" independent of human minds.

It's just the label we put on things with low probability and with positive / negative outcome for the one involved.

Hence why it is frequently followed or preceded by "...what are the chances! so (un)lucky!"

Winning the lottery is lucky. It has low probability and the outcome is positive.
Losing the lottery is not unlucky, because losing at the lottery is almost guaranteed due to the probabilities involved.

Being struck by lightning is unlucky. It has low probability and the outcome is negative.

Why do you need this explained? Didn't you know this?
They aren't exactly exotic english words..............

gnostic

The Lost One
Luck? What's that?
Luck may not have been my choice of the word, but there was chance that hitting the bump,

1. could cause the car ride up the post (as it did in this video),
  2. or it could have still collide head-on to the post while the car is off the ground.

Anyway, I would say physics, not a (supernatural) miracle.

And btw, I believe that @ChristineM was using “luck” in term of probability of happening the way it did in this accident, and not “luck” as in (“supernatural”) superstition or miracle.

nPeace

Veteran Member
How so?
You literally posted this thread to suggest there is something more going on then mere physics. It's even right there in the thread title "physics or spirit?".

The only reason you did that is because you have a priori beliefs that you want to rationalize.
Oh, right. The one who knows it all has spoken, so of course you are right... you think.

You are grasping. There is no reason at all to suggest anything but basic physics is going on here.
Why not? You are no longer superstitious, then?
You are exempt now? Not what you told me.
You're being inconsistent.

So your motivation to suggest such anyway, must come from somewhere else.
That's what I am referring to when I said that you "want to believe".
Again, what did I suggest? Oh... You have a perception that's above even your head, so you see what's not there... and you are right of course... you think.

You have faith based beliefs that there is such a thing as "spirits" who "intervene" in the world to "make stuff happen". You wish to defend and rationalize such beliefs. This is the only reason why you attempt to read stuff into events like in the clip without any lead or evidence.
You know so much... you think.

Now if there was NO POLE to act like a ramp and the car just went flying out of nowhere for no reason at all, then you could ask the question of what is going on there...
But that's not the case at all, is it?

It's just basic physics correlating with a coincidence. And you just engage in a type 2 cognition error to try and validate your a priori beliefs in magic.
That's all that is going on here.
Oh good.
So you finally admit that you believe, in order to try to validate a prior belief in majic... superstitious things.
Thank you.

So, it's not mistakes atheist make.
This is an interesting revelation.
Inconsistent yes, but revealing... as you can't make up your mind.
Maybe you wish you hadn't put your foot in your mouth?

So you are indeed claiming that you are better than those who believe in God, then.
You believe in all kinds of things... without evidence, but you are better than those who believe in god.

You know... that's really demonstrating a serious problem, with you, that is... especially since 'theists' have evidence for their belief in God.

I'm not saying this for your benefit, you know everything.
The title is based on the video, and the OP explains the subject... which isn't nPeace.

:rolleyes:

It seems I must remind you of what you yourself said in the OP. Not the bolded part.

Those are YOUR WORDS referring to YOURSELF.
Oh right. It doesn't look like physics to me, and no one here gave me a reasonable demonstration of how it could be physics.
Yeah, and no one was willing to replicate it.

So I had to do my own digging, and after a few links...
I found a demonstration.
It's a specially designed pole. One I didn't know existed, but thoughtfully implemented.
A lightweight car would ride such a pole which has that resistance.
poleplant.gif

I suppose they will get better with the others, in time.

The question in the title would produce an answer that's either, or. If it's not physics, it's spirit.
It's probably physics. I demonstrated it. :innocent:
Eliminate damage to both vehicles and signs with flexible sign posts and stanchions
Flexible sign posts are ideal solutions for high-traffic and high-speed areas. The durable yet flexible polyethylene material bends upon impact and springs back to its original position without causing damage or injury.
The strong material also resists cracking, peeling, rusting, and fading over time.

However, I don't know. After all, I don't claim to know everything. :)
I know spirits exist. That's one thing I am sure of.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
@TagliatelliMonster So long as you accept that you are using a label that came from somewhere.
luck.jpg

Strange you are happy with that.

THE FASCINATING HISTORY BEHIND OF GOOD LUCK SUPERSTITIONS
There is good luck superstitions that are common and many people, whether they want to or not, hope to attract good luck, as for example crossing your fingers while waiting for a good result or making a wish while blowing out the birthday candles. Even if all of these beliefs are contrary to reason and don’t seem to make any sense than a magical explanation, we don’t stop doing them, maybe because deep down we want to believe.

Well, you did admit to being superstitious, so I guess you only have something against gods, but will believe anything else magical... even wolves becoming whales.
Maybe you think one day man will grow wings and fly. Or develop gills, and live in the oceans.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Oh, right. The one who knows it all has spoken, so of course you are right... you think.

Why not? You are no longer superstitious, then?
You are exempt now? Not what you told me.
You're being inconsistent.

Again, what did I suggest? Oh... You have a perception that's above even your head, so you see what's not there... and you are right of course... you think.

You know so much... you think.

Oh good.
So you finally admit that you believe, in order to try to validate a prior belief in majic... superstitious things.
Thank you.

So, it's not mistakes atheist make.
This is an interesting revelation.
Inconsistent yes, but revealing... as you can't make up your mind.
Maybe you wish you hadn't put your foot in your mouth?

So you are indeed claiming that you are better than those who believe in God, then.
You believe in all kinds of things... without evidence, but you are better than those who believe in god.

You know... that's really demonstrating a serious problem, with you, that is... especially since 'theists' have evidence for their belief in God.

I'm not saying this for your benefit, you know everything.
The title is based on the video, and the OP explains the subject... which isn't nPeace.

Oh right. It doesn't look like physics to me, and no one here gave me a reasonable demonstration of how it could be physics.
Yeah, and no one was willing to replicate it.

So I had to do my own digging, and after a few links...
I found a demonstration.
It's a specially designed pole. One I didn't know existed, but thoughtfully implemented.
A lightweight car would ride such a pole which has that resistance.
poleplant.gif

I suppose they will get better with the others, in time.

The question in the title would produce an answer that's either, or. If it's not physics, it's spirit.
It's probably physics. I demonstrated it. :innocent:
Eliminate damage to both vehicles and signs with flexible sign posts and stanchions
Flexible sign posts are ideal solutions for high-traffic and high-speed areas. The durable yet flexible polyethylene material bends upon impact and springs back to its original position without causing damage or injury.
The strong material also resists cracking, peeling, rusting, and fading over time.

However, I don't know. After all, I don't claim to know everything. :)
I know spirits exist. That's one thing I am sure of.

What a long winded post full of nonsense, all to cover up your false statement of trying to pretend that it's not you who believes spirits are involved, but instead just the John fellow in the car and that you have "no opinion" or believe otherwise.

Even though I quoted you black on white from the OP where you literally say otherwise.

You are not an honest person.

Lying for Jesus seems to be your modus operandi.

Always.

wellwisher

For 18 years John taught high school physics, and says it's not physics. I agree.
I've seen this played out before, but the end result does not appear to be consistent with physics.

Your thoughts, and why.

In physics we have two layers of dynamics going on in terms of matter. The macro-scale of reality; larger object we can see and hold, appears to be more governed by cause and affect and classical physics like Newtonian Physics. These are the larger objects that seem definitive to us. Mountains change slowly.

As we magnify the same matter into the micro-states, we see a different world, connected to quantum physics, where cause and affect is less obvious. What is more obvious is probability, uncertainty and quantum coupling, which is not how larger scale matter behaves.

For example, there are hydrogen atoms in the universe that have been around for over ten billion years. These hydrogen formed near the beginning of the universe and are very definitive with extreme longevity; macro-state persists.

If we look at the quantum level, the same persistent hydrogen atoms are composed of smaller parts; electrons, nucleons and sub particle, which act in line with probability functions. How can this randomness, in its smallest parts, at the smallest level, lead to a long term persistent at the highest or macro-level? And does this always have to be the case?

There is a wild card variable called entropy. Entropy is a state variable meaning for any given state of matter, there is a fixed amount of entropy. Water at 25C and 1 atmosphere of pressure always has a measured entropy value of 188.8 Joules/(mole⋅K). This tells us the macro-state; beaker of water, by being constant in entropy, requires all the random of the micro-world, have to add to a constant; balances out, or else the macro-state would drift.

If we look at the hydrogen atom, under very specific conditions; state, this is at constant entropy, even though the substructures appears to follow random and uncertainty principles. This fixed state of constant entropy controls the random, so it all has to balance into a constant entropy value. In the case of water all the random of each atom of H and O, and all the random of the molecules of H2O interacting, will add to a constant. It is not as random as it appears, since it all has to add to a constant.

Say we were between two quantum entropic states. Since these gaps between quantum states are not based on constant entropy, like a quantum entropic state, the random aspect of the micro-state now has more control over the transitional state. This allows the unexpected to happen in our macro-world that is mostly defined by fixed states controlled by Newtonian Physics; a miracle. This sort of places God at the quantum state, which will make him harder to be seen as definitive, based on classic assumptions.

nPeace

Veteran Member
What a long winded post full of nonsense, all to cover up your false statement of trying to pretend that it's not you who believes spirits are involved, but instead just the John fellow in the car and that you have "no opinion" or believe otherwise.

Even though I quoted you black on white from the OP where you literally say otherwise.

You are not an honest person.

Lying for Jesus seems to be your modus operandi.

Always.
You would know.

nPeace

Veteran Member
In physics we have two layers of dynamics going on in terms of matter. The macro-scale of reality; larger object we can see and hold, appears to be more governed by cause and affect and classical physics like Newtonian Physics. These are the larger objects that seem definitive to us. Mountains change slowly.

As we magnify the same matter into the micro-states, we see a different world, connected to quantum physics, where cause and affect is less obvious. What is more obvious is probability, uncertainty and quantum coupling, which is not how larger scale matter behaves.

For example, there are hydrogen atoms in the universe that have been around for over ten billion years. These hydrogen formed near the beginning of the universe and are very definitive with extreme longevity; macro-state persists.

If we look at the quantum level, the same persistent hydrogen atoms are composed of smaller parts; electrons, nucleons and sub particle, which act in line with probability functions. How can this randomness, in its smallest parts, at the smallest level, lead to a long term persistent at the highest or macro-level? And does this always have to be the case?

There is a wild card variable called entropy. Entropy is a state variable meaning for any given state of matter, there is a fixed amount of entropy. Water at 25C and 1 atmosphere of pressure always has a measured entropy value of 188.8 Joules/(mole⋅K). This tells us the macro-state; beaker of water, by being constant in entropy, requires all the random of the micro-world, have to add to a constant; balances out, or else the macro-state would drift.

If we look at the hydrogen atom, under very specific conditions; state, this is at constant entropy, even though the substructures appears to follow random and uncertainty principles. This fixed state of constant entropy controls the random, so it all has to balance into a constant entropy value. In the case of water all the random of each atom of H and O, and all the random of the molecules of H2O interacting, will add to a constant. It is not as random as it appears, since it all has to add to a constant.

Say we were between two quantum entropic states. Since these gaps between quantum states are not based on constant entropy, like a quantum entropic state, the random aspect of the micro-state now has more control over the transitional state. This allows the unexpected to happen in our macro-world that is mostly defined by fixed states controlled by Newtonian Physics; a miracle. This sort of places God at the quantum state, which will make him harder to be seen as definitive, based on classic assumptions.
I understand. That makes sense.
That's why I cannot say for certain.
There are some things, we would not know, but yes, many assume there is only one thing to believe - it must be a purely material explanation.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yep.

You can't catch me in such blatant lies and backpaddling, because I don't do such.
Meanwhile, I quoted you black on white.
I doubt if you quoted it a million times over, you will get it right.
Oops. How could you not get anything right.

And you don't even have the decency to at least admit to your mistake (assuming it was a mistake, which I doubt)
I made no mistake. Were you following. Stupid question.

Me talking to a wall would make more sense in this case.

nPeace

Veteran Member
It's right there, black on white, for everyone to see.

Doubling down on denial is not going to make me look bad.
Funny you say that, and then write foolishness, and say I said it. ...but, it's TagliatelliMonster - the one who knows more than what can be seen by everyone.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Seriously. Why jump to conclusions when it's obvious. Also, I didn't rule out luck. Physics can explain what's going on in the video. It's the perfect timing that is harder to explain.
The perfect timing is pretty easy to explain by selection bias: out of the many, many car crashes that get caught on video, the only ones that end up on shows like Inside Edition are the ones that are weird or shocking in some way.

Rare events happen. Rarely, but they do happen. We're only seeing that video because it got selected for being in one of the tails of a distribution.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
On that, there is a theory.

What if saving John allows him to do a work that is important now, for saving people for the future?
Whereas saving starving kids all over the world accomplishes only a few moments of hunger relief, before some greedy politition or BokoHaramies deprive those starving kids of food, and they die.?

Well at least they enjoyed food for a day or two, right. Or should God kill all the greedy people and BokoHarams - wiping them all off the face of the earth, while he is at saving the world of kids from poverty?
If God's will can't be achieved without this one specific guy, then you're either greatly diminishing God or greatly aggrandizing this one guy.

nPeace

Veteran Member
If God's will can't be achieved without this one specific guy, then you're either greatly diminishing God or greatly aggrandizing this one guy.
No one said that God's will can't be achieved without one specific guy.
How many toes do you have... one? How many fingers? Which ones would you cut off?

God has many people involved in his work. If he chooses to use abilities that are more effective, what of it.
Although you can use a hand saw, are you not thankful for a power saw?