• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philosophy degree?

concreteguy

sitting in
I'm at a major cross road in my life and I think I may of stumbled into what I have been looking for. I find Philosophy and religion, debate, and critical thinking an awesome thing. I think way outside of the box sometimes if not all the time. I was wondering if anyone in here might have a degree in Philosophy and what there line on work may be.

I would basicaly be starting from scratch at 35. I have little college expirence, and the idea of going back to school sort of makes me nervous. I know I would do better in a classroom setting but what if I were to start online? Where do I go, University of Phoneix? Come on, really, how credible are they?

Are their any books someone can reccomend for a novice such as myself to introduce me to Philosophy and what I can maybe expect to learn or try to learn by studying it (Philosophy)?

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I'm at a major cross road in my life and I think I may of stumbled into what I have been looking for. I find Philosophy and religion, debate, and critical thinking an awesome thing. I think way outside of the box sometimes if not all the time. I was wondering if anyone in here might have a degree in Philosophy and what there line on work may be.

I would basicaly be starting from scratch at 35. I have little college expirence, and the idea of going back to school sort of makes me nervous. I know I would do better in a classroom setting but what if I were to start online? Where do I go, University of Phoneix? Come on, really, how credible are they?

Are their any books someone can reccomend for a novice such as myself to introduce me to Philosophy and what I can maybe expect to learn or try to learn by studying it (Philosophy)?

I can't answer on the philosophy degree, but I can comment on the rest.

Go for it.

I started working on my degree at 30. I take night classes at a small private university on the other side of town and carry 12 credit hours per semester; just enough to be full time and qualify for financial aid. I'm scheduled to graduate December of 2011; that will put the time invested at 5 1/2 years.

Don't worry about being nervous. If you're unsure of your ability in the classes, take a few low level ones that are designed for freshmen who didn't do that great in high school. They might not count towards your major, but they usually count for full credit hours and can help you get back into the swing of it all.

And look around. Most colleges and universities are starting to notice that a lot of adults want to go back to school; you'd probably be hardpressed to find one that doesn't offer night and online classes. Yeah, the selection of programs won't be as large as during the day, but it's still fairly good.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
concreteguy,

At the beginning of my college career I took a few philosophy courses and found them so intriguing I thought about majoring in the field, or at least getting a minor in it. However, after talking to a few people and considering where such a degree would take me---teaching it is about the only occupation requiring the degree---I quickly changed my mind. If it's only for kicks then I say go for it, but if you plan on using a degree to get better employment then I suggest going into something more relevant to your other interests and skills.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
A Critique of Philosophy and Religion by Walter Kaufmann. Kaufmann is probably dead now, and his book might be difficult to find, but his Critique is a timeless introduction to philosophy and theology -- if you can find it!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Years ago, people who took out Liberal Arts degrees such as in Philosophy or English started out lower down the income ladder than people who took out "practical" degrees such as business management or marketing. But several studies found them outperforming the "practical" degree folks after about 10 to 15 years in business. They were typically promoted higher up the corporate ladder and earning more than the business majors. I don't know if that still holds true. I would check it out before making any career decisions based on the expectations it might encourage one to have.

sunsplash

Freckled
I can't comment on the philosophy degree or a "degree" from UoP, but I did take 3 online courses from them through a distance learning program when I was in college and didn't want to wait a semester for them to be available or open on my home campus. They were accredited courses that my universty accepted for the degree programs I was in. So as far as your gen-ed's are concerned, I'm sure it'd be a safe bet but if you are looking to transfer to an on-campus school, you may want to speak with an advisor on their acceptance of degree specific transferrable credits from different institutions and ask if they recommend any virtual college that transfers easily into their system. The last thing you want is to fight with the college and have to provide virtual transcripts, course descriptions, etc, trying to prove the course you took was the same as the one they offer so you don't have to repeat to graduate (I went through that with a course transferred from one on campus accredited university to another and it was a major PITA; course name was different but the class material was almost identical - and this wasn't even a online class/college issue!).

I feel like I'm in the same boat. I do have a degree in Communications but now I'm dealing with depression and reading books on religion, psychology, philosophy, and nature, I'm starting to think I would like to go back and study what makes people tick inside their mind.

Then again, I'm feeling good again and getting over depression and sometimes when I see philosophy quotes or something it reminds me of being sad
again and I say to myself - I don't want any more part of that!

Onkara

I read philosophy as a minor at university. It would have been more sensible to have done something employers pay for or a modern language.

It was interesting, but you are limited to what the course wants you to read in a short period. If you are not concerned and are happy to read anything from Plato to B.Russell (or Logic) to deadlines then you might enjoy it, but if you find Hume or Berkeley bores you when you read them in depth on-line then don't do it. A degree means being obliged to read what the course requires, it isn't as nice as debating the parts that interest you with friends.

Take a look at the course reading list or outline and read or buy a book or two first. It is cheaper to buy a few books and read them before applying than back out of a course after a year.

As far as jobs are concerned I have never seen one. No one is likely to pay you for it specifically until you get a Phd/Research degree. Don't do it for a career. Either combine it with another topic which will get you a job or do something else and keep philosophy as a hobby.

Onkara

I feel like I'm in the same boat. I do have a degree in Communications but now I'm dealing with depression and reading books on religion, psychology, philosophy, and nature, I'm starting to think I would like to go back and study what makes people tick inside their mind.

Then again, I'm feeling good again and getting over depression and sometimes when I see philosophy quotes or something it reminds me of being sad
again and I say to myself - I don't want any more part of that!

I don't think it is helpful to de-construct life philosophically when one is looking for value in life (i.e. getting over depressive feelings). That is not to say that we cannot find value in philosophy or religions, but i think it is better to find an areas which that adds purpose and value and focus on that, not go off into Nietzsche for example. Indulge in something which makes life exciting to live, even the boring bits which we want to escape from normally. Something that confirms that life is good. A valued life. :)

concreteguy

sitting in
Thanks to all of you for your answers. I would be intrested in teaching so maybe making Philosophy a career would be a good choice for me, the verdict is still out. I did run across an intresting lecture site from Harvard University. Apparently I don't have enough posts to paste it for you to see though. Who makes the 15 post rule and what is so important about the number 15 to this person? Do 15 posts mean I am intrested enough in staying around? Sorry, went off on a tangent there. But, the page is on youtube, justice-whats-the-right-thing-to-do. Very intresting lecture.

Onkara

Thanks to all of you for your answers. I would be intrested in teaching so maybe making Philosophy a career would be a good choice for me, the verdict is still out. I did run across an intresting lecture site from Harvard University. Apparently I don't have enough posts to paste it for you to see though. Who makes the 15 post rule and what is so important about the number 15 to this person? Do 15 posts mean I am intrested enough in staying around? Sorry, went off on a tangent there. But, the page is on youtube, justice-whats-the-right-thing-to-do. Very intresting lecture.

Depending on your financial and motivation levels you could keep your profession and study philosophy degree/masters in your free time. You might be able to then get into research which is funded (although you won't be wealthy) and would take you to Phd and teaching philosophy.

IMO the 15 posts rule is usually because spambots or people leaving advertising don't hang around long enough to make 15 posts. They posts their adverts a few times and log off or are blocked by the mods. Hang around long enough and you will see some spam. :)

PS: Here is a work by Berkeley. If you could read this and write essays about it then this is what a degree would be like from my experience.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/4723/4723-h/4723-h.htm

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

Don't walk, but RUN away from the University of Phoneix. They are almost a papermill, and they are constantly fighting to keep their accreditation(s).

My advice is to find a local college or university that offers night classes - or even courses that are geared toward people your age, like an extended learning course. Those are cheap and you may learn more in that format.

In other words, you don't need a degree in philosophy to learn it well - you just need to know what to read and how to interpret it well.

Onkara

My advice is to find a local college or university that offers night classes - or even courses that are geared toward people your age, like an extended learning course. Those are cheap and you may learn more in that format.

In other words, you don't need a degree in philosophy to learn it well - you just need to know what to read and how to interpret it well.

Well said Angellous. I totally agree.
The qualification itself may not help as much as the knowledge. I suggest concreteguy take a university reading list from the web and works through it. Or start with a general overview of philosophy (wikipedia would be a start) and see where it takes you. See it as your foundation year, if you are still passionate then perhaps an online course might be satisfactory after you have some initial exposure.

concreteguy

sitting in
Great info and idea Onkarah and angellous! I will try and find a Philosophy curricliam and maybe follow a few of the books or papers that I find intresting and maybe post them on here. I just read a bit on Socrates and how somehow there is a sculpture of him by someone that never physcialy saw or met Socrates? Then where did he get the picture or mental picture to make the sculpture? Not saying that someone may of helped him, but assumeing no on did of course. Anyhow, very intresting man, horrible ending to his life, but intresting life.

I'm looking for writings from Plato now (free ones if possible via the net) to read how Socrates influenced his life and what he learned from him.

Thanks again!

A

angellous_evangellous

Anyhow, very intresting man, horrible ending to his life, but intresting life...

No, it's not horrible. It's noble.

Without the death of Socrates, Greek philosophy would have had no inspiration.

A

angellous_evangellous

GrI'm looking for writings from Plato now (free ones if possible via the net) to read how Socrates influenced his life and what he learned from him.

Thanks again!

Google "Perseus Project" then go to Greek and Roman sources. It's in alphabetical order. Scroll down to Plato, click the arrow to the right. Also read Xenophon.

A

angellous_evangellous

The first thing that you should read is Plato's "Allegory of the Cave."

Memorize it. Love it. Live it.

concreteguy

sitting in
The first thing that you should read is Plato's "Allegory of the Cave."

Memorize it. Love it. Live it.

I'm reading bits and pieces of it now from Wiki and it seems basic to me. My battery is going to die on me but I will elaborate more. I also found Harvard's course curiculum for 2010 and 11, so I will be looking over that and trying to understand or figure out anything I can do to help myself learn fromk some of it's info.

A

angellous_evangellous

I'm reading bits and pieces of it now from Wiki and it seems basic to me. My battery is going to die on me but I will elaborate more. I also found Harvard's course curiculum for 2010 and 11, so I will be looking over that and trying to understand or figure out anything I can do to help myself learn fromk some of it's info.

Yes, it's basic.