• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perry Noble tells Pastors to Shut Up about Politics

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Christians, are you aware of the 1954 deal in which the Federal Government agreed not to tax church incomes so long as the churches did not endorse specific candidates?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
They don't have any right to tell me who to vote for just as they have no right to tell me what I can or cannot do in the bedroom. In fact, I don't want them telling me what to do at all. They can give me advice, but that's about it.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
They don't have any right to tell me who to vote for just as they have no right to tell me what I can or cannot do in the bedroom. In fact, I don't want them telling me what to do at all. They can give me advice, but that's about it.
Advice about what? Isn't that in essence telling you what to do? Part of me agrees with you, I mean, what I've been taught about Christianity is that we're a kingdom of priests and therefore we have just as much authority as any overseer. But then again, I'm protestant. If what you're saying is that they cannot force people to live Biblically I'm with you 100%. But, it is important to listen to others who are also being guided by the Spirit in their walks because the Spirit may have something he wants you to hear from them.

I see the church forcing people to support a certain political candidate as legalism because that's like saying this person is our only hope. That's just not true, Jesus is our only hope and he's the one we must look to.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Advice about what? Isn't that in essence telling you what to do? Part of me agrees with you, I mean, what I've been taught about Christianity is that we're a kingdom of priests and therefore we have just as much authority as any overseer. But then again, I'm protestant. If what you're saying is that they cannot force people to live Biblically I'm with you 100%. But, it is important to listen to others who are also being guided by the Spirit in their walks because the Spirit may have something he wants you to hear from them.

I see the church forcing people to support a certain political candidate as legalism because that's like saying this person is our only hope. That's just not true, Jesus is our only hope and he's the one we must look to.
Well, there's a difference between advising someone and telling someone that they must do something because "God said so" or whatever. It's like with the Catholic clergy, a lot of them say stupid and just wrong things at times so I disregard that but I certainly listen when what they say is in line with Jesus' teachings.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Well, there's a difference between advising someone and telling someone that they must do something because "God said so" or whatever. It's like with the Catholic clergy, a lot of them say stupid and just wrong things at times so I disregard that but I certainly listen when what they say is in line with Jesus' teachings.
Right, Christianity=/= herd conformity. It's important for us to get in the Bible and find out what it says for ourselves.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
http://www.christianpost.com/news/p...ical-candidates-shut-up-preach-gospel-155975/

Christians and Non-Christians, how do you feel about pastors endorsing political candidates?

Christians, does a pastor have any right to tell you who to vote for?
Mixing Church and State has always had absolutely horrible consequences for both sides. No political candidate running for a secular office will ever uphold the teachings of the Church in every issue, so a clergyman endorsing anyone is a waste of time. Both conservatives and liberals have stances on different issues that Christians can get behind--liberals want to help the poor and ensure that no one is being neglected or thrown under the bus, while conservatives want to defend religious liberty and the unborn.

I've ranted enough about the Religious Right, but I'll just say that that movement is hogwash as well.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Christians and Non-Christians, how do you feel about pastors endorsing political candidates?

Churches have put political flyers in the pews. Some clergy use the pulpit as a political agenda.
Jesus' agenda was to remain politically neutral in the affairs of the world - John 17:14-16
When the people wanted Jesus in political office ( king ) Jesus refused - John 6:15
Jesus and his first century followers always remained: politically neutral. Neutral even in the issues of the day between the Jews and the Romans.
So, Jesus had No political agenda, but focused his teachings about God's kingdom government as the solution to mankind's problems - Luke 4:43; Daniel 2:44; Daniel 7:13-14
And Jesus taught his followers to do the same spiritual work, same spiritual agenda, as he did - Matthew 24:14; Matthew 28:18-20; Acts of the Apostles 1:8

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Churches have put political flyers in the pews. Some clergy use the pulpit as a political agenda.
Jesus' agenda was to remain politically neutral in the affairs of the world - John 17:14-16
When the people wanted Jesus in political office ( king ) Jesus refused - John 6:15
Jesus and his first century followers always remained: politically neutral. Neutral even in the issues of the day between the Jews and the Romans.
So, Jesus had No political agenda, but focused his teachings about God's kingdom government as the solution to mankind's problems - Luke 4:43; Daniel 2:44; Daniel 7:13-14
And Jesus taught his followers to do the same spiritual work, same spiritual agenda, as he did - Matthew 24:14; Matthew 28:18-20; Acts of the Apostles 1:8

Any proof?

Sultan Of Swing

http://www.christianpost.com/news/p...ical-candidates-shut-up-preach-gospel-155975/

Before the General Election in the UK my church didn't offer any advice on who to vote for, if anything I suppose that we must pray about it and think carefully before voting, but really didn't hear much about it. My church is focussed on preaching the Gospel and faithfully teaching Scripture. While I believe political change can be good, our only hope for lasting change truly is in Jesus Christ, and this is coming from a person like me who's fascinated by politics and gets pretty excited about it haha.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Any proof?

Years ago while on vacation in Atlantic City, NJ there was a Catholic church on Tennessee Ave.( or near by ) and they had Republican flyers at each pew seat.
Clergy have also used the pulpit as a recruiting station so that parents will sacrifice their young on the Altar of War.
Also, I see religious bill boards promoting the supporting and backing of ' national Israel ' as if fleshly Israel is God's spiritual nation, although since Pentecost the ' Israel of God ' is Not fleshly but a spiritual nation or the Christian congregation - Jerusalem above is now the seat of government - Galatians 4:26. Now it is a 'spiritual Jew '- Romans 2:28-29 - and Since Pentecost a ' spiritual nation ' that can't be found located on any map - 1 Peter 2:9; 1 Peter 2:5. By the Grace of God, fleshly Israel today exists as a national group, Not a spiritual nation.

So, as Jesus did Not run for office, but rather ran away from office - John 6:15 - Jesus and his 1st-century followers remained politically neutral.
Then did Not get involved even in the Jewish issues of the day between the Jews verses the Romans.
We have the same Scriptures today as the first-century Christians ended up with. None of which promote or advocate the political but the spiritual as Jesus did.

David1967

Premium Member
IMHO Churches should not engage in political speech from the pulpit. About as close to politics that Jesus came was his statement concerning taxes to render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's. Otherwise, be a good citizen and obey the laws of the land. I hear enough political talk during the week. I don't want to hear it at church too. Teach me about God in church. I can decide who I will vote for on my own.