• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People "protecting marriage": where are you on Monday nights?

Erebus

I never much cared for marriage in the first place, it just seems pointless to me. Having read through this thread however, I might actually actively oppose it... could make things simpler.

"Now none of you are allowed to get married, how do you like that?"
"Awwww no fair."
"I don't want to hear it, if you can't share marriage you can't have it at all, now go outside and make friends with some atheists, no I don't care if they're going to Hell, you will make friends with them and YOU WILL LIKE IT!"

ok I'm pretty tipsy.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I never much cared for marriage in the first place, it just seems pointless to me. Having read through this thread however, I might actually actively oppose it... could make things simpler.

"Now none of you are allowed to get married, how do you like that?"
"Awwww no fair."
"I don't want to hear it, if you can't share marriage you can't have it at all, now go outside and make friends with some atheists, no I don't care if they're going to Hell, you will make friends with them and YOU WILL LIKE IT!"

ok I'm pretty tipsy.

Dont give up on marriage..

Its actually is kind of fun sometimes.

Can't be explained..

I just wouldnt knock it all together..

Love

Dallas

Smoke

Done here.
I am not opposed to ANY people loving each other and being together - enriching each other's lives in whatever way they see fit. I don't have to agree with someone's moral choices in order to respect their right to those choices.

I think that's what ticks me off - it's not enough to be tolerant, respectful, and kind.

In fact, more power to you. I just won't call it marriage- and THAT'S what ****** you off.
Actually, it's just the opposite. I care about having equal rights. I don't care about your respect and I don't care about what you call my marriage, as long I have the legal rights. But you won't be happy till I think your view is "tolerant, respectful and kind."

But I'm sticking by my own personal beliefs and in a debate forum like this, I feel free to share them - as others do.
That's all our British Israelite friend was doing when he shared his opinion of your first marriage and your decision to have four biracial children. Why would you get offended just because he shared his personal beliefs on a debate forum like this?

And the thing is, Kathryn, I'm not really offended by your sharing your view. It's not like I didn't know there were people like you out there; I've got people like you in my own family. But just as you have the right to share your view here, so I've got the right to share my opinion of your view, and I'm certainly under no obligation to pretend your view is respectful or free of prejudice.

You're the one who's ticked off, not me - because it's not enough for you until everybody pats you on the back and tell you how wonderful, tolerant and "respectful" you are. Sorry, but I can no more commend your view of my marriage than you can commend my marriage.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I just won't call it marriage- and THAT'S what ****** you off.

I dont think so..What ****** "them " off I would think is they dont get what you have gotten to do twice.

Love

Dallas

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Obama certainly isn't supporting any idea of protecting the rights of gays.

You act like a civil union isn't a possibility. It's a legal contract. Don't see why it wouldn't work for everyone.
He did appoint a transwoman to some department, I forget what it was. I made a thread on it awhile ago. And he hasn't opposed the repealing of DADT. While he could do more than remain in the neutral position, he hasn't opposed them either
And no, a civil union doesn't work. It's a polite way of saying that we are not even second class citizens. We're not good enough to have the privileges enjoyed by the conservative white Americans, who have a foot in mouth and head up their ***. Sure a civil union gives us essentially the same benefits, to an extent anyways, but it's their way of saying we are not as good as them, and that we are undeserving of the same status and recognition.
Many cultures have had a word and ritual for the joining of lovers. Our culture calls this "marriage" and since gays are citizens just as much as straights, we too have every right to indulge in what our cultural practices. How about we pass a law so non-Christians can't say "Merry Christmas," have a Christmas tree, or even celebrate Christmas. We'll just have them say "happy holidays" and not let them have a tree since it symbolizes Christmas, and they can celebrate a winter holiday in normal fashion, but they just can't celebrate Christmas.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
While were at it, being non-religious and gay, should my ability to perform legal marriages be taken away?

blackout

Violet.
Yes..

If "we' allow gay people to get married then next thing you know we will have to allow people to get married to their cockatoo.(first it would start with dogs..then cats next..eventually you could get married to an ant farm)..It woudl just NEVER end.

Love

Dallas

A whole ant farm?! :eek:

But....but...that would be Poly.
(unless of course you have just married the farm itself... without the ants....)

Smoke

Done here.
If "we' allow gay people to get married then next thing you know we will have to allow people to get married to their cockatoo.(first it would start with dogs..then cats next..eventually you could get married to an ant farm)..It woudl just NEVER end.
Setting aside for a moment what I think about having my marriage compared to bestiality, does it ever seem odd to you that that's one of the first places they go? Social conservatives' obsession with homosexuality is rivaled only by their fascination with bestiality. It doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense to worry about people marrying their dogs, but social conservatives just can't stop thinking about getting it on with dogs and sheep. They're a very weird crowd.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Setting aside for a moment what I think about having my marriage compared to bestiality, does it ever seem odd to you that that's one of the first places they go? Social conservatives' obsession with homosexuality is rivaled only by their fascination with bestiality. It doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense to worry about people marrying their dogs, but social conservatives just can't stop thinking about getting it on with dogs and sheep. They're a very weird crowd.

It's a curious association. You get the impression that social conservatives spend considerable time eyeing their neighbor's dogs -- or perhaps their neighbor's sheep -- just pouring their gaze over those innocent animals --- and then worrying that their neighbor might have powerful and perverted lusts for those animals --- lusts so powerful and perverted that he ( the neighbor ) will get to those animals first!

dust1n

Zindīq
Originally Posted by DallasApple

Like I said earlier, the real issue with gay marriage is not some debate as to whether the interpretation of marriage in the Bible is a legitimate way to define the term marriage. It is because if gay people can be 'legally' qualified as married, then they are entitled to same benefits as heterosexual couples, such as tax benefits. Sure, gay people can live together, but they have to pay taxes as if they weren't a devoted couple. If you agree that gay people should be able to do this, then why can't just use the word 'marriage'?

Wiki:

"Marriage is a social union or legal contract between individuals that creates kinship. It is an institution in which interpersonal relationships, usually intimate and sexual, are acknowledged in a variety of ways, depending on the culture or subculture in which it is found. Such a union may also be called matrimony, while the ceremony that marks its beginning is usually called a wedding. People marry for many reasons, most often including one or more of the following: legal, social, emotional, economical, spiritual, and religious. These might include arranged marriages, family obligations, the legal establishment of a nuclear family unit, the legal protection of children and public declaration of love.[1][2]

Marriage practices are very diverse across cultures, may take many forms, and are often formalized by a ceremony called a wedding.[3] The act of marriage usually creates normative or legal obligations between the individuals involved. In some societies these obligations also extend to certain family members of the married persons. Almost all cultures that recognize marriage also recognize adultery as a violation of the terms of marriage.[4]"

I ask..

Why shouldn't gay people enjoy the same luxuries within our society? They certainly pay taxes to pay for your social benefits, why shouldn't they get the same treatment with your taxes?

BTW. Marrying an animal would not allow you any tax breaks because the other spouse is not making income, (and along with the fact you wouldn't need rights to protect ownership of your children) you couldn't have children. So to conclude that homosexual marriage leads to marriage with animals really has no foundation and makes no sense.

Last edited:

Maybe they're jealous of everyone who doesn't have all those self imposed restrictions on their lives. They secretly wish they could be on the other side of the fence every now and then having all the fun.

Mr Cheese

It's a curious association. You get the impression that social conservatives spend considerable time eyeing their neighbor's dogs -- or perhaps their neighbor's sheep -- just pouring their gaze over those innocent animals --- and then worrying that their neighbor might have powerful and perverted lusts for those animals --- lusts so powerful and perverted that he ( the neighbor ) will get to those animals first!

There was that conservative christian (2-3 yrs ago), a big name in anti abortion rallies..

that spoke out about his first sexual experience, it being with a mule...
on live public radio.....and claimed its perfectly normal in Georgia...

so, whatever you think....there is truth in it...:sarcastic+

stubborn%20mule.gif

Last edited:

Mr Cheese

hmm

tcrpheadquarters(2).jpg

Georgia candidate for governor says sex with mules, watermelon behind him

Without missing a beat, he says, "You know what you’re thinking about has been out there..."
"We're talking about the mule now?"
Yes, he says. The mule.
"A small mule?" I ask.
"No, a full grown mule," he says. "She loved me, though."

He was in the Air Force, it was a cold night, yadda, yadda, yadda, he had sex with him, ahem, the way he did the mule. "It was gross," he says.
Really? He hadn't described the mule that way.
"I've [screwed] a watermelon," he says. And that's just for starters. He's had sex with just about everything it's physically possible to have sex with, and some that isn't. "How many times have I masturbated in my life?" he asks. Now he's 65 and orgasm-free for two years (his wife finally divorced him -- too much "drama", she said). "The bottom line is, I never treated it as if it were not a sin."

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
He did appoint a transwoman to some department, I forget what it was. I made a thread on it awhile ago. And he hasn't opposed the repealing of DADT. While he could do more than remain in the neutral position, he hasn't opposed them either
And no, a civil union doesn't work. It's a polite way of saying that we are not even second class citizens. We're not good enough to have the privileges enjoyed by the conservative white Americans, who have a foot in mouth and head up their ***. Sure a civil union gives us essentially the same benefits, to an extent anyways, but it's their way of saying we are not as good as them, and that we are undeserving of the same status and recognition.
Many cultures have had a word and ritual for the joining of lovers. Our culture calls this "marriage" and since gays are citizens just as much as straights, we too have every right to indulge in what our cultural practices. How about we pass a law so non-Christians can't say "Merry Christmas," have a Christmas tree, or even celebrate Christmas. We'll just have them say "happy holidays" and not let them have a tree since it symbolizes Christmas, and they can celebrate a winter holiday in normal fashion, but they just can't celebrate Christmas.

I don't know how you missed my point so entirely. Let me make it simple: I believe that all legal unions of all people - gay or straight - should be legal contracts called civil unions.

I believe that the federal government should stay out of Christmas. Let employers call it whatever they want to call it - let people say Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas or whatever.

Voila - no discrimination.