• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peacekeepers vs. Genocide!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Should? If that is the will by consent of the governed (via their elected representatives), then yes. If not, then no. That's how the US government operates (or at least how it is supposed to).

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Should America act as peacekeepers for the rest of the world?
Should America try to prevent conflict or let genocide happen without regard?
No.
depends upon the conflict. If said conflict does not directly involve America, America should keep its nose out of it.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Genocide isn't ALWAYS the answer, but then again peace isn't always the answer either

esmith

Veteran Member
Well we know that the UN is totally incapable of preventing genocide or peacekeeping the majority of the time. So, I guess it would have to come down to the willingness of several nations to come to a conclusion. The only thing is that it would take US involvement in large scale events. In this case, I can not see the United States becoming involved unless we took the lead role. We would probably be the ones supplying the majority of manpower and equipment. I do not want to see the US military involved in any "boots on the ground" operation that does not directly involve the strategic interest of the US.

F0uad

No America should not since they have tried so in couple of decades in the middle east and it has only turned in huge massacres and more conflict. The African and Asian peacekeepers are doing a much better job.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

American concern for human rights seems very selective. The idea of America as peacekeeper is American.
I do not see prevention of conflict as a US goal. I see imperialism as a US goal.

No country has the right to self designate as judge, jury and policeman. I would rather see the US recognize and support the international criminal court.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
I'm aware that the OP originally asked about America, but I would like to interject the Canadian perspective.

The very idea of peacekeeping was brought about by former Canadian Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson when he tried to defuse the Suez Crisis. Canada after that point led the world in peacekeeping contributions until recent years when the focus became aligning ourselves with the United States in combat missions, rather than embarking on internationally-supported, UN-approved peacekeeping missions. It was during this period that Canada gained much respect in the world as a neutral, fair, and honest peace broker. Canada played a central role in defusing conflicts around the world. Today, Canada contributes just 200 UN peacekeeping troops.

I believe that America (and Canada and the rest of the developed world) can, and should, play a role in global peacekeeping. First, America should play a role in global peacekeeping because it is the wealthiest nation on Earth (in terms of GDP) and many of the conflicts plaguing the globe are a result of the United States intervening in the first place. But a few things need to happen first:

1. The US currently takes a very anti-internationalist stance. It needs to learn to act with other countries and not unilaterally. Flagrant disregard of international law and opinion does not win you new allies and alienates your current allies.

2. The US military has been involved with some alleged war crimes most recently in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. People in developing countries are often mistrustful of American troops. Either the US needs to send troops in the form of UN peacekeepers, or it needs to revise its rules of engagement so that innocent people aren't being obliterated with Predator drones.

3. The US must soften its rhetoric. That does not mean "Do not take sides", but strongly condemning one side over another jeopardizes your ability to broker lasting peace and compromises your neutrality. Canada, a country with extremely similar foreign policy positions to the US, managed to be respected as a neutral peace broker at one time. That did not mean Canada did not take sides, but it meant statements from Canadian officials were measured, calm, accurate, and restrained.

4. The US is accustomed to taking a leading role when international forces are deployed. It does not have to do this. As evidenced by the aerial intervention in Libya, other developed nations are perfectly capable and willing of taking charge. The US can still play a big role, but it doesn't have to act separately and dominate militarily all the time.

5. US intervention comes across as imperialistic at times. Therefore, when US military forces enter another country, it must do so as part of an internationally-sanctioned coalition. Iraq must never be repeated.

Though I'm fully aware that pigs will fly before any of that happens, it's still nice to dream. Canada has a decent shot of reverting back to its old peacekeeping ways, though, simply because we have a history of doing it, and it's a popular sentiment within Canada.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

In my opinion...NO. We simply can't afford too anymore. We should work with our allies on these matters but we should be the ones rushing in to be a country's police force.

Once again...IMO...NO, we should not be the first in to 'save' a country unless we have have international support. This is one reason I take issue with Paul Ryan and Romney's position on Syria as well as their position on Iran and them wanting to give the US Military an additional 2 Trillion Dollars.....and for no reason.

Last edited: