• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paycheck to Paycheck

PureX

Veteran Member
To always see things thru the lens of blame & powerlessness is crippling.
Yes, it is.

Which is why a lot of people who are born into poverty and ignorance and hopelessness never get out of it, in spite of all he "bootstrap bullsh*t" being flung about in some of these posts, by people who can't seem to grasp how powerful poverty, ignorance, and hopelessness really are.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, it is.

Which is why a lot of people who are born into poverty and ignorance and hopelessness never get out of it, in spite of all "bootstrap bullsh*t" being flung about in some of these posts, by people who can't seem to grasp how powerful poverty, ignorance, and hopelessness really are.
I think we're talking past each other.
I only spoke of people who worked for me, & made decisions
which were within their power to recognize as bad. It shouldn't
be writ large to demonize all those of low station.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think we're talking past each other.
I only spoke of people who worked for me, & made decisions
which were within their power to recognize as bad. It shouldn't
be writ large to demonize all those of low station.
I understand, and I appreciate that some people will make bad decisions. But people are people. They have always made bad decisions. It's part of being human. And I don't think anyone deserves to be written off by the rest of us, or left to suffer, and even die, because they made some bad decisions that the rest of us did not make. Why is our greed and arrogance so much more important for us to protect, then our humanity?

But also, given the current political climate, and the degree of loathing and BS being spewed at and about the poor (code for lazy, stupid, and undeserving, in a lot of people's minds these days) my reaction may be a bit impassioned. As I do find it particularly ugly and hurtful the way, in our society, we so quickly and easily throw each other to the dogs. "I got mine and to hell with you!" It's heartbreaking to see us thinking and behaving like this.

Last edited: