• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Robertson says

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Jesus basically said it's impossible for a rich man to get into heaven when he said it's like getting a camel through the eye of a needle, and several times he commanded his followers sell what they own and give the money to the poor, love the poor, take care of the poor, humble yourselves before the poor, how can anyone possibly miss it?

We've clearly watched different channels and shows then. Clearly, Jesus would sooner beat someone preaching in his name in the head with a private jet than giving him one for saying god said he wants the "preacher" to have his own private jet. Telling sick and terminal people, or people who are deep in debt if they give hundreds, thousands...max out their credit...."god" will take care of them. I've seen a few exceptions (including one guy who lives in the basement of the church building because he did sell everything he owns and gives every dime he makes to the poor), but for the most part they are truly a disgusting lot.
And, I forgot to add, those "vultures of men" get to rake in the money, in the name Jesus, tax free.

Kelly of the Phoenix

It's only funny to sing about widespread torture and executions if Mel Brooks is singing about it. Otherwise, it's a travesty to humanity, really.

The song

I regularly see kids who need more discipline in their life.
If the parents would teach them right from wrong, they wouldn't need to beat their kids. I felt that spanking was okay. I got much worse as a child. However, with our two dogs, I realize I haven't really resorted to physical punishment. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Most level headed people don't equate the "shed" to a literal beating. I got the jist of what he was saying and didn't feel like he was encouraging child abuse.
It's a saying that encourages beating the crap out of your child. You do it in the shed so that you can maintain your public appearance elsewhere. It's basically a dungeon.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If the parents would teach them right from wrong, they wouldn't need to beat their kids. I felt that spanking was okay. I got much worse as a child. However, with our two dogs, I realize I haven't really resorted to physical punishment. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I agree. I don't physically discipline my kids at all. But I do spend a lot of effort on consistent discipline. Works best both me and them, and means I can spend more time on hugs, tickles and outings. Some other parents seem to spend no effort on discipline, and instead a ton of effort on eye rolling and calling their kids name endlessly without effectively doing anything.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
"Secular research" does not agree with that. It will state, the first, foremost, and above absolutely all else, a child needs a loving, nurturing, stable, and supportive home. The sex and gender of the parents are not really that important, but, if anything, children of homosexual parents seem to fair at least slightly better than the children of heterosexual parents (though this could be explained by things such as homosexuals generally being restricted to adoptions). But, no, science does not support the idea that a child must have a strong father and mother in their lives, but rather, way before the sex/gender of parents and even how many, science tells us children need love, support, and stability.

I don't disagree with you

And agreeing that a child can thrive without a male gendered parental figure doesn't negate the benefits that an involved father can lend to his child's development & well being.

http://www.fira.ca/cms/documents/29/Effects_of_Father_Involvement.pdf
http://umm.edu/news-and-events/news...evidence-to-support-the-importance-of-fathers
https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/fatherhood.pdf
http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/appsych/opus/issues/2010/spring/father_childhood_development

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Taking a kid out to the wood shed is another way of saying physical punishment away from the eyes of others. It is an old saying

I realize this.

Physical punishment even away from the eyes of others doesn't auto translate to child abuse.

Riders

Severe punishment can cause kids to do the exact opposite I beg to differ. My Mother was raised up where she was spanked and had Evangelical Christians too.

Her Mom use to demonize drinking quite abit, she sang a little song called the lips that touch liquer shall never touch my lips.

She grew up and rebelled became an alcoholic. She was raped and abused by her husband then verbally abused me with sexual words.

She was condemning men all the time and sickly demonizing sex and men to me and always fighting with my Dad and a few occasions she hit him when she was drunk.

Wella s my Mom was in AA , I became a member of SAA for sex addiction.

djhwoodwerks

Jesus basically said it's impossible for a rich man to get into heaven when he said it's like getting a camel through the eye of a needle, and several times he commanded his followers sell what they own and give the money to the poor, love the poor, take care of the poor, humble yourselves before the poor, how can anyone possibly miss it?

I think you have! Jesus was talking to a man that already had riches and wealth, which obviously meant he had a love for possessions. He wanted to know what he had to do to have eternal life, Jesus said to let go of the "love of money" and help the poor.

Matthew 19:20-22 (ESV Strong's) The young man said to him, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 22 When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

1 Timothy 6:10 (ESV Strong's) 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

Hebrews 13:5 (ESV Strong's) 5 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Do you think God wants poor people helping the poor?

Apparently a lot of people were wealthy then, because the disciples said,

Matthew 19:24-25 (ESV Strong's) Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” 25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?”

Muffled

Jesus in me
Jesus said many things about the rich and few of these statements were positive.
I believe wealth like power has a tendency to corrupt people or at least bring out the worst in them. However some people manage to retain their integrity.

Muffled

Jesus in me

We've clearly watched different channels and shows then. Clearly, Jesus would sooner beat someone preaching in his name in the head with a private jet than giving him one for saying god said he wants the "preacher" to have his own private jet. Telling sick and terminal people, or people who are deep in debt if they give hundreds, thousands...max out their credit...."god" will take care of them. I've seen a few exceptions (including one guy who lives in the basement of the church building because he did sell everything he owns and gives every dime he makes to the poor), but for the most part they are truly a disgusting lot. [/QUOTE]

I believe this is a bit of a misnomer. It is not Heaven it is the Kingdom of Heaven and they are two different things.

I believe He didn't say it was impossible only very difficult.

I believe you should name one.

I don't remember anything like this.

I believe I see all of scripture without seeing things through a strainer.

I assure I provide as I see fit and you shouldn't try to put words in my mouth.

I believe this is based on a principle in the Bible but I do agree that people don't usually get the whole story. It seems there is a hypocrisy between thinking people must give and then discrediting the giving.

I believe a person will be known by his fruit and you are not likely a good judge of that. I once had a Franciscan come by begging for money and I felt that was disgusting. The apostle Paul worked and received gifts but managed to accomplish a lot.

Muffled

Jesus in me
This illustrates why I believe that Christianity was mostly invented by people centuries after Jesus.
Those people wanted a political weapon that convinced the little people to fall in line while the power elite did whatever they wanted. And it worked for centuries.
It still does.
Little people give, and the Falwells and Bushes of the world take and it's all explained as the "will of God". Because the little people keep being fed a line of BS and are not educated enough to see through it.
Tom

I believe you win the BS battle since you are better at it.

Kelly of the Phoenix

What's equally wrong are idiot parents who don't guide and discipline their children enough.
Here's the thing: I have a staff member I was at wit's end about. Didn't do the job. I was asking for the form or whatever to write up this person, but a burst of inspiration hit me and I never used it. Instead, one night, there was a massive amount of teamwork and I praised this person to the skies. Positive reinforcement is something I had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for, but I found some at long last. Now, she does her job and I don't have to panic towards the end of the shift when the charting resets for the next shift. I got what I wanted withOUT punishment, so it can be done. (Win more flies with honey than with vinegar.)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's the thing: I have a staff member I was at wit's end about. Didn't do the job. I was asking for the form or whatever to write up this person, but a burst of inspiration hit me and I never used it. Instead, one night, there was a massive amount of teamwork and I praised this person to the skies. Positive reinforcement is something I had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for, but I found some at long last. Now, she does her job and I don't have to panic towards the end of the shift when the charting resets for the next shift. I got what I wanted withOUT punishment, so it can be done. (Win more flies with honey than with vinegar.)
*Gasp*

That's what you're trying to do by liking my posts, isn't it?! I'm on to you, Kelly, I'm on to you...