• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Robertson says

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Non Christian children should be beaten then forced to go to church

http://churchandstate.org.uk/2016/0...-beaten-until-they-respect-christian-beliefs/

I watched the video and read the article and didn't pick up from it that he was encouraging anyone to beat a child. He was encouraging discipline and commenting on the importance of strong father figures in the lives of kids, which, secular research agrees with.

Most level headed people don't equate the "shed" to a literal beating. I got the jist of what he was saying and didn't feel like he was encouraging child abuse. He encouraged discipline, which, Karen suggested was lacking in her grandson's life.

Karen is a wierdo for taking her personal concerns to a TV evangelist. Eye roll. Moving on.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
He was encouraging discipline and commenting on the importance of strong father figures in the lives of kids, which, secular research agrees with.
"Secular research" does not agree with that. It will state, the first, foremost, and above absolutely all else, a child needs a loving, nurturing, stable, and supportive home. The sex and gender of the parents are not really that important, but, if anything, children of homosexual parents seem to fair at least slightly better than the children of heterosexual parents (though this could be explained by things such as homosexuals generally being restricted to adoptions). But, no, science does not support the idea that a child must have a strong father and mother in their lives, but rather, way before the sex/gender of parents and even how many, science tells us children need love, support, and stability.

Riders

I watched the video and read the article and didn't pick up from it that he was encouraging anyone to beat a child. He was encouraging discipline and commenting on the importance of strong father figures in the lives of kids, which, secular research agrees with.

Most level headed people don't equate the "shed" to a literal beating. I got the jist of what he was saying and didn't feel like he was encouraging child abuse. He encouraged discipline, which, Karen suggested was lacking in her grandson's life.

Karen is a wierdo for taking her personal concerns to a TV evangelist. Eye roll. Moving on.

I saw hi talk about it in the video and he meant it he said they needed to be beaten.FYI why are you denying it, hes an Evangeical Christian, like my 2 sister who will tell you they spanked their children, they believe in spanking although they usuaully use the word spank instead of beat.

Muffled

Jesus in me
That's nice. Maybe he and his children will submit to the Catholics' Inquisition then until they submit to the Catholics' Christ?
I believe Peter said to the Sanhedrin. "Is it better to listen to God or to men?"

My father took issue with my watching a Cardinal on TV but I watched him anyway. It didn't make me a Catholic. It wasn't something he was going to beat me for. After all how can one find fault with a person seeking to do what is good?

buddhist

I believe Peter said to the Sanhedrin. "Is it better to listen to God or to men?"

My father took issue with my watching a Cardinal on TV but I watched him anyway. It didn't make me a Catholic. It wasn't something he was going to beat me for. After all how can one find fault with a person seeking to do what is good?
Robertson is essentially the Pope or a Cardinal of his brand of Christianity, that discipline is in order if someone does not obey his particular interpretation of Christianity.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I believe that is the devil's assessment.
I can only assume it's Jesus' assessment, as clearly he is very strongly against the wealth, vanity, and luxury that have practically become a regular part of televangelism. And not too mention that preying upon the poor, sick, and desperate probably has him raging so hard he foams at the mouth.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I can only assume it's Jesus' assessment, as clearly he is very strongly against the wealth, vanity, and luxury that have practically become a regular part of televangelism. And not too mention that preying upon the poor, sick, and desperate probably has him raging so hard he foams at the mouth.

I believe I do not see it that way. Jesus likes people who serve Him even the rich and they did.

I believe that is about as far from the truth as one can possibly get.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Theres no excusing child abuse its whats wrong with our country

I believe not disciplining a child is child abuse because then the child thinks he can do whatever he wishes. That is bad for the child and everyone else.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe not disciplining a child is child abuse because then the child thinks he can do whatever he wishes. That is bad for the child and everyone else.
The reasons behind said discipline and the harsh methods are the problem, not discipline itself.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe I do not see it that way. Jesus likes people who serve Him even the rich and they did.

Jesus said many things about the rich and few of these statements were positive.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Jesus basically said it's impossible for a rich man to get into heaven when he said it's like getting a camel through the eye of a needle, and several times he commanded his followers sell what they own and give the money to the poor, love the poor, take care of the poor, humble yourselves before the poor, how can anyone possibly miss it?
We've clearly watched different channels and shows then. Clearly, Jesus would sooner beat someone preaching in his name in the head with a private jet than giving him one for saying god said he wants the "preacher" to have his own private jet. Telling sick and terminal people, or people who are deep in debt if they give hundreds, thousands...max out their credit...."god" will take care of them. I've seen a few exceptions (including one guy who lives in the basement of the church building because he did sell everything he owns and gives every dime he makes to the poor), but for the most part they are truly a disgusting lot.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Jesus basically said it's impossible for a rich man to get into heaven when he said it's like getting a camel through the eye of a needle, and several times he commanded his followers sell what they own and give the money to the poor, love the poor, take care of the poor, humble yourselves before the poor, how can anyone possibly miss it?

We've clearly watched different channels and shows then. Clearly, Jesus would sooner beat someone preaching in his name in the head with a private jet than giving him one for saying god said he wants the "preacher" to have his own private jet. Telling sick and terminal people, or people who are deep in debt if they give hundreds, thousands...max out their credit...."god" will take care of them. I've seen a few exceptions (including one guy who lives in the basement of the church building because he did sell everything he owns and gives every dime he makes to the poor), but for the most part they are truly a disgusting lot.
This illustrates why I believe that Christianity was mostly invented by people centuries after Jesus.
Those people wanted a political weapon that convinced the little people to fall in line while the power elite did whatever they wanted. And it worked for centuries.
It still does.
Little people give, and the Falwells and Bushes of the world take and it's all explained as the "will of God". Because the little people keep being fed a line of BS and are not educated enough to see through it.
Tom