• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parallel Universes?

Dream Angel

Is there anything in any religious Holy Books which suggest parallel universes? Does your religion teach about parallel universes? Do you believe in parallel universes? Do you believe in parallel universes and therefore believe/deny the existence of God? Why do you think parallel universes exist?

and answers to any other questions relating to parallel universes you can think of! :D

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Parallel universes are a natural by-product of our not all sharing one set of neurons. The implications of such seemingly mundane parallel universes are much less and much more amazing and incredible than they might at first seem.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Is there anything in any religious Holy Books which suggest parallel universes?
I think the Urantia book does.

Does your religion teach about parallel universes? Do you believe in parallel universes? Do you believe in parallel universes and therefore believe/deny the existence of God? Why do you think parallel universes exist?

and answers to any other questions relating to parallel universes you can think of! :D
What do you mean by parallel universes? The idea that every choice we make creates an alternate reality where we chose something different? The idea that there are other universes outside our own? Something else?

cardero

Citizen Mod
There are these graphic novels that I delight in put out by Marvel Comics called “What If’-“ and they explore the possibilities of the myths and milestones of the Marvel Universe.

For example, in the Marvel timeline, Spiderman at one moment wanted to join the Fantastic Four but was turned away by the fact that they were a non-profit (paying) organization and that some members of the FF thought Spiderman was a maverick wanted by the law. The “What If-“ book is written as if Spiderman did accept membership into the Fantastic Four (making them the Fantastic Five) and through talented artists and writers records the consequences and repercussions of those decisions.

The book is also hosted by a BEing called The Watcher who is as close to my understanding of the GOD concept that I have ever witnessed in fictional literature. The Watcher only observes (and explains) the alternate timelines but never interferes.

In my conversations with GOD, there are those that confirm that there are Books Of Life. These books are not literal, they are ethereal and contain all the choices, thoughts actions and reactions that we make in our lifetimes. The books are supposed to be slightly ahead of our time but at the same moment the records are precise and up to date.

When we come to a different road in our life, the Books of Life have already documented the many possibilities we might make. Once our decision is made, the Book of Life eliminates all the other options and records our actual choice as a Truth. In a way, this road dissipates until the next moment of our lives. So the concept of parallel universes and lives may exist for moments but I do not believe they get ahead or away from us. In other words, when we pass away in death, I believe that there is not another Patrick in another universe, who didn’t decide to take up cigarette smoking who still exists and has a few extra years on me nor do I expect there to be other Patricks in the spiritual realm who have passed before me.

Last edited:

Surya Deva

Hinduism teaches of parallel universes and space-time relativity. It basically says the universe is vast, there are universes within every atom, and there are infinite levels of the universes(space-time relativity) The universe is constantly being created and destroyed ad infinitum. All of this is the result of the vibration of a single entity. It is truly hard to imagine the vastness of the Hindu universe.

As to what I personally believe. Yes, I believe in parallel universes, because I am a strong believer in Quantum theory and String theory. I believe everything in the universe, past, present and future is happening simutaneously. I believe everything is the infinite modifications of one single thing: superstring.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Do you mean quantum realities? There was an episode of Star Trek TNG in which Worf kept jumping from one reality to the next. Data(the android) said there was a theory in which every possible choice is made in these different realities with different results; some major and some only effecting a single person. The show Sliders also dealt with the idea.

I don't if they exist or not. It would be interesting if they did, wouldn't it?

arthra

Baha'i
Is there anything in any religious Holy Books which suggest parallel universes? Does your religion teach about parallel universes? Do you believe in parallel universes? Do you believe in parallel universes and therefore believe/deny the existence of God? Why do you think parallel universes exist?

In the Baha'i Writings it doesn't mention "parallel universes" by name but there is a concept called the "worlds of God" which are infinite...

As to thy question concerning the worlds of God. Know thou of a truth that the worlds of God are countless in their number, and infinite in their range. None can reckon or comprehend them except God, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 151)

Verily I say, the creation of God embraceth worlds besides this world, and creatures apart from these creatures. In each of these worlds He hath ordained things which none can search except Himself, the All-Searching, the All-Wise. Do thou meditate on that which We have revealed unto thee, that thou mayest discover the purpose of God, thy Lord, and the Lord of all worlds. In these words the mysteries of Divine Wisdom have been treasured.

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 152)

How could such Souls have consented to surrender themselves unto their enemies if they believed all the worlds of God to have been reduced to this earthly life? Would they have willingly suffered such afflictions and torments as no man hath ever experienced or witnessed?

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 158)

Without truthfulness, progress and success in all of the worlds of God are impossible for a soul. When this holy attribute is established in man, all the divine qualities will also become realized.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 384)

This is from a provisional translation of the Tablet of the Universe revealed by Abdul-Baha:

Praise be to God Who hath ever caused His Names and Attributes to penetrate the degrees of existence; Who hath made the effects of those Names and Attributes to shine resplendent and their signs to be firmly established in both the hidden and manifest worlds. By them He hath made the holy realities that are informed by His grace and are the recipients of His outpourings to be the sole revealers of all that pertaineth unto Him, and hath caused them to move through the firmament of perfection in arcs of descent and ascent.

(and)

For physical things are signs and imprints of spiritual things; every lower thing is an image and counterpart of a higher thing. Nay, earthly and heavenly, material and spiritual, accidental and essential, particular and universal, structure and foundation, appearance and reality and the essence of all things, both inward and outward -- all of these are connected one with another and are interrelated in such a manner that you will find that drops are patterned after seas, and that atoms are structured after suns in proportion to their capacities and potentialities. For particulars in relation to what is below them are universals, and what are great universals in the sight of those whose eyes are veiled are in fact particulars in relation to the realities and beings which are superior to them. Universal and particular are in reality incidental and relative considerations. The mercy of thy Lord, verily, encompasseth all things!

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

I'm not absolutely sure I know what you mean by the term "parallel universes," Dream Angel. Could you explain the phrase, please?

UnityNow101

I have attempted to understand the String Theory and the possibility of multiple universes, but my mind could not comprehend nor fathom the concept...

Maybe they will find the proof of these multiple universes when they unleash the power of the Large Hadron Collider. Or maybe not. Either way, it makes little to no difference to me...

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
doppelgänger;1312455 said:
Parallel universes are a natural by-product of our not all sharing one set of neurons. The implications of such seemingly mundane parallel universes are much less and much more amazing and incredible than they might at first seem.

Not looked at it that way before but very true. :)

However there is also the point that humans are only capable of perceiving and interacting with an extremely limited range of the total spectrum present of comic vibrations, and so there is plenty of scope for valid speculation and research about and for parallel universes, other dimensions, etc.

Is there anything in any religious Holy Books which suggest parallel universes?

John 14:2 -- In My Father's house are many mansions., perhaps is alluding to other dimensional locations.
Elsewhere we hear Paul talk of an experience of the third Heaven, presumably the third of seven.

The Islamic religion has the concept of seven Heavens.

Also in the Hindu tradition, there are seven Lokas that are also are said to exist according to some hierarchical arrangement.

Ben Masada

Each one of us constitutes a universe of his or her own. Since we constantly deal with each other, the parallel is not perfect because from time to time we meet,
and part of one's universe overlaps part of another. Whenever the mingling becomes total, two universes get engulfed into a black hole and lost in the Noghingness.

Ben :confused:

GURSIKH

chardi kla
guru nanak stated cleary there are many skies over skies

[SIZE=+1]ਪਾਤਾਲਾ ਪਾਤਾਲ ਲਖ ਆਗਾਸਾ ਆਗਾਸ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]There are nether worlds beyond the nether worlds and lacs of skies over skies.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਓੜਕ ਓੜਕ ਭਾਲਿ ਥਕੇ ਵੇਦ ਕਹਨਿ ਇਕ ਵਾਤ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The scriptures say one thing: searching for God's limits and bounds, (without success) people have grown weary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਸਹਸ ਅਠਾਰਹ ਕਹਨਿ ਕਤੇਬਾ ਅਸੁਲੂ ਇਕੁ ਧਾਤੁ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The Semitic scriptures say that there are eighteen thousand worlds, but in reality there is only one essence; that the Lord is limitless.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਲੇਖਾ ਹੋਇ ਤ ਲਿਖੀਐ ਲੇਖੈ ਹੋਇ ਵਿਣਾਸੁ ॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]If there be any account of His creation, then man would finish while writing.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]ਨਾਨਕ ਵਡਾ ਆਖੀਐ ਆਪੇ ਜਾਣੈ ਆਪੁ ॥੨੨॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]O Nanak! Call Him great. He Himself knows His Own-self.[/SIZE]

Dream Angel

I'm not absolutely sure I know what you mean by the term "parallel universes," Dream Angel. Could you explain the phrase, please?

Is there more than one definition? :confused: Hmmm....anything really! LOL, it was just an idea that came into my head! :D, other universes besides our own which are similar to ours, maybe doubles? alternate universes, different numbers of universes which are completely different. Anything! Knock yourselves out! :D

I have a feeling I might have things thrown at me for being so vague, so I am going to run! :run:

Dream Angel

Do you mean quantum realities? There was an episode of Star Trek TNG in which Worf kept jumping from one reality to the next. Data(the android) said there was a theory in which every possible choice is made in these different realities with different results; some major and some only effecting a single person. The show Sliders also dealt with the idea.

I don't if they exist or not. It would be interesting if they did, wouldn't it?

Hehehe, I watched everyone of those programmes. :D

I think they dealt with parallel universes in the sense they were the same but different, if that makes any sense! What would be interesting is if there are more than one universe which were completely different to ours?? There are so many possibilities! LOL - I dont think I really thought this through before I asked :run:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Is there more than one definition? :confused: Hmmm....anything really! LOL, it was just an idea that came into my head! :D, other universes besides our own which are similar to ours, maybe doubles? alternate universes, different numbers of universes which are completely different. Anything! Knock yourselves out! :D
Well, I believe there's at least one other "Godiverse," who Created our own. There could be countless.

I have a feeling I might have things thrown at me for being so vague, so I am going to run! :run:
No worries.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
We believe in what I have heard described (although not in Church or by Church leadership) as a "multiverse" as opposed to a "universe." In other words, we believe that God has created worlds without number. The concept of a multiverse can be used to possibly explain the well-known LDS couplet, "As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become." Within the framework of a belief in a "universe," this is heresy. Within the framework of a belief in a "multiverse," it's an entirely logical and beautiful doctrine.

logician

Parallel universes as a philosophical statement or a cosmological argument? I don't think any religion promotes the latter.

Dream Angel

We believe in what I have heard described (although not in Church or by Church leadership) as a "multiverse" as opposed to a "universe." In other words, we believe that God has created worlds without number. The concept of a multiverse can be used to possibly explain the well-known LDS couplet, "As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become." Within the framework of a belief in a "universe," this is heresy. Within the framework of a belief in a "multiverse," it's an entirely logical and beautiful doctrine.

Sorry Katz, I dont know whether it is because I have had a long day and I am tired...but I am not following you? :confused: Could you possibly explain please, thanks. I dont know where I heard this, I cant remember, it was ages ago now...I seem to remember being told or reading about something to do with other Gods who look over their own worlds/universes?? - is that different to this multiverse thing? :confused: It may have even been in the critic material I was reading, so complete rubbish!