• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paradox of Rich Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If you are infinitely rich and lost the perfect 100 % of your money, can you remain infinitely rich?

I don't see how anyone can be infinitely rich, but if they were, how could they lose their money? It seems that if they did lose their money, it would be an indication that they were never infinitely rich in the first place.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I don't see how anyone can be infinitely rich, but if they were, how could they lose their money? It seems that if they did lose their money, it would be an indication that they were never infinitely rich in the first place.
This illustrates the dilemma of simplistic religious sayings when subjected to intelligent thinkers.

questfortruth

It is mathematical uncertainty: infinity times zero. It can remain infinity.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure. Have you dollars labeled by integers. if you lose all those except the ones labeled by primes, you have lost a set of density 1 (closest thing to probability in this context) and still have an infinite number of dollars left (because there are infinitely many primes).

questfortruth

Sure. Have you dollars labeled by integers. if you lose all those except the ones labeled by primes, you have lost a set of density 1 (closest thing to probability in this context) and still have an infinite number of dollars left (because there are infinitely many primes).
Trying to make me sick? No, I am a stable man.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

But does that describe losing all of your money? I think it describes losing an infinite number of dollars (or whatever currency we are considering), but not losing 100% of your money.

If you are infinitely rich and lost the perfect 100 % of your money, can you remain infinitely rich?

My answer is no. You are broke now, not rich. I don't see a paradox there the way you worded it.

F1fan

Veteran Member
But does that describe losing all of your money? I think it describes losing an infinite number of dollars (or whatever currency we are considering), but not losing 100% of your money.

My answer is no. You are broke now, not rich. I don't see a paradox there the way you worded it.
Of course the “wealth” implied in the OP is religious truth. But then how valuable is any arbitrary religious truth? It’s 2 cents.

When push comes to shove and the devout believer goes hungry at some point they might consider theft if charity runs out. Dogma can’t cure hunger.

Status
Not open for further replies.