• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paradox: Can God create something bigger than himself?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Well, I think the answer is that God isn't a "something" so something, or anything, can't be bigger or smaller. Put it this way. Which is bigger, time or a banana? What is smaller, electrical current or a chair? What I'm saying is that God isn't comparable to things. What size does the taste in ice cream have?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
You are starting with God and trying to explain reasoning, where I think God is actually the answer to the question. I assume you are starting with God as the beginning, nothing came before. Yet ancient religions saw something that preceded even this - a type of primordial chaos. I envision this as something beyond all logic and imagining - all possibility and non-possibility. Out of this, somehow, was birthed the contradiction and the answer - God. You see, chaos as all things cannot itself be defined unless there is something to define it against: order. God is the order in the primordial Chaos. What I am getting at is that there is, by definition, something bigger than God.

Baladas

An Págánach
It depends what you mean by God...I assume you are thinking of an Abrahamic concept of deity.
Such a God could not do what you have said, because they are usually thought of as being outside of time and space, and thus they are not measurable within them.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
One of three possibilities:
you have awfully short arms
you have an awfully long tongue
you lie a lot
~
'mud

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
you lie a lot
~
'mud
Or he's Mr. Fantastic (the rubber man) in Fantastic Four.

mr-fantastic-m.jpg

Baladas

An Págánach
you lie a lot
~
'mud
Well, I do have a long tongue, but the reason I can do this is that I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. It causes hypermobility, and has been called "the contortionist's disease". It's a rare genetic disorder that sucks in almost every way. It's only good for bragging about things like this. :p

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Well, I think the answer is that God isn't a "something" so something, or anything, can't be bigger or smaller. Put it this way. Which is bigger, time or a banana? What is smaller, electrical current or a chair? What I'm saying is that God isn't comparable to things. What size does the taste in ice cream have?
Well done.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Well, I do have a long tongue, but the reason I can do this is that I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. It causes hypermobility, and has been called "the contortionist's disease". It's a rare genetic disorder that sucks in almost every way. It's only good for bragging about things like this. :p
So I was right then? You are Mr Fantastic.

(I knew there was some truth to that story. Everyone tells me it's fiction, but I just knew it must be more...)

:D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What could be an answer towards a question like this: "Can God create something bigger than himself?"

No. I heard this before, I think this is another way of saying can God do something against His own nature. For example, can He lie (pick up something heavy) even though He never lies (nothing is "bigger" than God for Him to pick up anything bigger than Himself) type of thing.

If I said yes, that would be saying in different ways, God can lie, break a promise, and do things that in scripture states He can't do. That would be interesting, though, because He would be sinning if He did.

Faybull

Everything that exists, exists also in the mind of God, so by creating something his mind would expand to hold that bigger than God thing.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
No. I heard this before, I think this is another way of saying can God do something against His own nature. For example, can He lie (pick up something heavy) even though He never lies (nothing is "bigger" than God for Him to pick up anything bigger than Himself) type of thing.

If I said yes, that would be saying in different ways, God can lie, break a promise, and do things that in scripture states He can't do. That would be interesting, though, because He would be sinning if He did.
If the lie would bring about something greater and better, wouldn't the lie be beneficial for the greater good?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Sure. I guess you can entertain that God lied in His promise but because it brought greater good (excluding the inquisition for now) its well worth the belief?

Id be uncomfortable living a lie. The Church brought out the greater good in me; helped me a lot. However, because I dont believe in God living that lie by staying in the Christian faith to me is worse than living without that greater good.

So it may beneficial for some but I wouldnt say all of course.
If the lie would bring about something greater and better, wouldn't the lie be beneficial for the greater good?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Sure. I guess you can entertain that God lied in His promise but because it brought greater good (excluding the inquisition for now) its well worth the belief?
It seems to be to those who believe that the world was created 6,000 years ago and reject the insurmountable evidence to the contrary. Science shows that the world is older. There's no doubt about it. If God indeed did create the world only 6,000 years ago and made all nature tell us a lie about its true age, then God is indeed a liar. Either the world is older than 6,000 years old or God has planted deceptive evidence that the world is older.

Id be uncomfortable living a lie. The Church brought out the greater good in me; helped me a lot. However, because I dont believe in God living that lie by staying in the Christian faith to me is worse than living without that greater good.
I'm not sure I understood your last sentence. :)

So it may beneficial for some but I wouldnt say all of course.
If God told a lie, we wouldn't necessarily know. Perhaps God thinks it benefits us to live a lie that we don't know is a lie. People believing things that are not true, but they don't know, because it somehow works out better in the end.