• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out of body experiences

Cooky

Veteran Member
So, I met someone yesterday who told me about an incident that happened and that he died for 5 minutes and came back to life... He told me that all of a sudden, he was everywhere at one time. He said he could hear peoples thoughts, and that at the bank across the street, there was a police officer with a ring of keys, and that he heard the keys jingling as he ran out of line at the bank, and that he knew what the police officer was thinking, which was that, in getting out of line, he risked missing a payment on his brand new Harley, and that he was thinking about that running over to do a rescue. He said he contacted the officer later on over the phone, and that the officer almost went into tears because that was exactly all true. All this apparently happened when he was dead.

He said he heard other peoples thoughts miles away, in their cars.

...He compared it to being 'like air' being everywhere at once. He said that all people are "connected" somehow. Everybody.

He said that when he returned to his body, it was an uncomfortable and confining experience. He felt like freedom was taken.

Could this be possible?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In my understanding, yes this is possible, Because when we leave the body we are no longer bound by the rules of our physical world/universe. As far as my understanding/wisdom goes human realm is the only physical realm that exist. So when the person said it felt like he was everywhere at the same time, this sound very true compared to what different cultivation paths teach.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Existing outside of time and space would make any place and any time available to you for observation at will.

That said, I tend to be skeptical of NDEs and the claims of people who have experienced them. You seem to believe this person when he says that he was able to verify his experience with some unknown police officer, but from what you have stated here, there's reason for skepticism (such as how did this person get the name and phone number of an unknown police officer who just happened to be at the bank across the street to make a payment on his new Harley?).

The bottom line is that faith in the testimony of others about their own personal experience is one of the three things we choose to have faith in and believe, or to reject and dismiss (the other two being faith in our own personal experiences and faith in the axioms of formal systems of reasoning). We can evaluate the pros and cons of accepting or rejecting, taking into consideration the relative likelihood of various propositions being true--but in the end, where one places their faith is just a matter of choice.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
So, I met someone yesterday who told me about an incident that happened and that he died for 5 minutes and came back to life... He told me that all of a sudden, he was everywhere at one time. He said he could hear peoples thoughts, and that at the bank across the street, there was a police officer with a ring of keys, and that he heard the keys jingling as he ran out of line at the bank, and that he knew what the police officer was thinking, which was that, in getting out of line, he risked missing a payment on his brand new Harley, and that he was thinking about that running over to do a rescue. He said he contacted the officer later on over the phone, and that the officer almost went into tears because that was exactly all true. All this apparently happened when he was dead.

...He compared it to being 'like air' being everywhere at once. He said that all people are "connected" somehow. Everybody.

He said that when he returned to his body, it was an uncomfortable and confining experience. He felt like freedom was taken.

Could this be possible?
I am quite intrigued. The phrasing and descriptions strike me as being somewhat authentic compared to my own out-of-body adventures. During such experiences one DOES often experience enhanced sensory input as well as a distinct, hitherto unseen, connection to all that is. The one area that doesn't quite pass the smell test is the last part. Normally, when returning to the physical body, there is an exultant perception of returning home (to the body) with this newly expanded sense of consciousness. It could simply be an comparative observation on his part, which is valid, but describing it as uncomfortable and confining is a bit odd. You know, "He felt like freedom was taken." pretty much confirms this.

Could this be possible?
Apparently. :)

I hope this makes some sense.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Could this be possible?

I see it as an altered state of consciousness. I can also see it as ones body doesnt need to be dead (heart and brain) to have out of body experiences to experience NDE. If youre brain is aware, it's possible.

But its Near death experience. So, one is still alive when they experience these things. Their brain still functions. They havent began the decay process. They are alive.

Cooky

Veteran Member
He really stressed the part where he said all people are connected. He said that I am connected to him just as much as his own children. He said we're all connected.

I don't know why that thought was so important for him to stress.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
He really stressed the part where he said all people are connected. He said that I am connected to him just as much as his own children. He said we're all connected.

Again in my understanding, we are all connected from the oneness or the energy that is what we all are created from

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

There is a tremendous implication to that perception. Being connected means that what I do affects you and what you do affects people all over the world. If this perception were generally shared, the world would tend to become very unlike what we see today.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

The experience of Oneness can be daunting, especially if one had no expectations prior to the event. It is a fairly startling realization and yes, there is an almost evangelical imperative to tell others of the experience because you want them to see what you now see! Get it? In other words, you are like a kid with a new toy...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
A few years ago my father was mugged, hit across the head with a half brick. His skull was fractured and he lay in a coma for over a month.

Medically he died 3 times during that time.

The reason his gives for his repeated returns is God is a lousy poker player.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The experience of Oneness can be daunting, especially if one had no expectations prior to the event. It is a fairly startling realization and yes, there is an almost evangelical imperative to tell others of the experience because you want them to see what you now see! Get it? In other words, you are like a kid with a new toy...
Not everyone will share such experiences. In many mystical traditions, as you know, its considered unwise to share. But of course if said person had no idea of the 'no sharing' concept, they'd go right ahead, as you say. The first urge is to tell someone. "Mommy, look! I lost my tooth!"

All that said, I have absolutely no doubt people have such experiences. it's just that it's no big deal. When you first learn of how people get pregnant, it's this bewildered ... "What? No, really?" But after awhile it all seems quite ordinary.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Not everyone will share such experiences. In many mystical traditions, as you know, its considered unwise to share. But of course if said person had no idea of the 'no sharing' concept, they'd go right ahead, as you say. The first urge is to tell someone. "Mommy, look! I lost my tooth!"
It took me about a year to finally shut up. And so, I remained silent for about 3 decades after that.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Could this be possible?

Yes. There are also those that have not had a NDE that have had described similar experiences during a spontaneous mystical experience.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Could this be possible?
Yes.
Mickey Mouse could also be possible.

By the way, how do you know that happened when he was dead? Did he take a clock in the hereafter perfectly synchronized with the clock at the hospital? LOL.

I know that hope springs eternal, but your bar on believing the incredible is pretty low bro.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

And then there are those who remain silent about it for decades until asked pointedly if they ever had one. :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
And then there are those who remain silent about it for decades until asked pointedly if they ever had one. :)
Sweet! Other than on RF, due to contractual obligations @Sunstone managed to squeeze out of me, that is my default position if people ask. Providing, of course, that one gets me at a serious moment, which is no small task.

Has anyone here experienced Mickey Mouse?
Feeling triggered...

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
What a profound suggestion!

Has anyone here experienced Mickey Mouse?

Experienced? Who can say?

However, the question was not "who experienced that", but "could that be possible"? So, since Mickey Mouse existence does not seem, prima facie, to break any rules of logic, then he is also possible.

Would you agree?

Ciao

- viole