• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origin of life, Adam and the Dinosaurs

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
1st of all the bible never actually uses the word "Day" because it is not in English.
2nd of all in genesis it very clearly says that it was 6 days and that each day was one literal day.
3rd of all why would an all loving god purposefully make his book that is supposed to be his instructions to mankind confusing?

Of course, Genesis was originally written in Hebrew. I don't read Hebrew so I use the Tanach as a reference.
The translated English part uses the English word 'day'. Perhaps checking with your local Rabbi might help.

Please post where in Genesis it states that each creative day is one literal ( 24-hour ) day.
God's 7th 'day' is Not a literal 24-hour day. The fact that all of the 6 creative days are summed up by the word ' day ' at Genesis 2:4 shows even in the Bible the word 'day ' has shades of meaning.
We speak of Noah's day and we understand that to mean more than a 24-hour day.

I do Not find God's instructions to be confusing. To me there is nothing confusing about the Golden Rule.
To me there is nothing confusing about Jesus' New commandment found at John 13:34-35 to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as he did.

What is confusing to many is that often clergy teach their church traditions, or church customs, as being Scripture when Not really Scripture. Since the Bible is Not written ABC as a dictionary is, then we need to study or research the Scriptures by taking one topic ,or one subject, at a time and then we can see the harmony between the different Bible writers.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
Of course, Genesis was originally written in Hebrew. I don't read Hebrew so I use the Tanach as a reference.
The translated English part uses the English word 'day'. Perhaps checking with your local Rabbi might help.

Please post where in Genesis it states that each creative day is one literal ( 24-hour ) day.
God's 7th 'day' is Not a literal 24-hour day. The fact that all of the 6 creative days are summed up by the word ' day ' at Genesis 2:4 shows even in the Bible the word 'day ' has shades of meaning.
We speak of Noah's day and we understand that to mean more than a 24-hour day.

I do Not find God's instructions to be confusing. To me there is nothing confusing about the Golden Rule.
To me there is nothing confusing about Jesus' New commandment found at John 13:34-35 to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as he did.

What is confusing to many is that often clergy teach their church traditions, or church customs, as being Scripture when Not really Scripture. Since the Bible is Not written ABC as a dictionary is, then we need to study or research the Scriptures by taking one topic ,or one subject, at a time and then we can see the harmony between the different Bible writers.

My proof is the first chapter of Genesis.

Please read the Bible in whole. Not just small parts in isolation.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
My proof is the first chapter of Genesis.
Please read the Bible in whole. Not just small parts in isolation.

I can't follow what you are saying. What proof are you talking about. I can't find what words you are referring to.
I don't understand how does reading every word from Genesis through Revelation show that the word ' day ' in the Bible has only one 24-hour meaning.

I found that Jesus used 'just small parts in isolation' when Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, " it is written...." meaning already written down in the old Hebrew Scriptures such as Luke 4:17-18.
Jesus could do that because the Bible has corresponding or parallel cross-reference verses and passages along the same line of thought in harmony with his teachings.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Yes - but I said "genetic resemblance" - it isn't about outward appearance - it is about the fact that on your interpretation God's "special creation" turns out to be genetically 98% equivalent to a product of the natural, and at least somewhat random, process of evolution. That doesn't strike you as a remarkable coincidence?

No, it consistent with a certain pattern. Isaac for instance was the Son of Abraham. God had a special purpose for Isaac, Isaac came about in an unusual way since Sarah was 90 years old when she had Isaac. Isaac's genetics were probably the same as everybody else. Jesus came about in a special way rather than the natural way. Jesus mother was the virgin Mary. But Jesus genetics were probably the same as everybody else.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
I can't follow what you are saying. What proof are you talking about. I can't find what words you are referring to.
I don't understand how does reading every word from Genesis through Revelation show that the word ' day ' in the Bible has only one 24-hour meaning.

I found that Jesus used 'just small parts in isolation' when Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, " it is written...." meaning already written down in the old Hebrew Scriptures such as Luke 4:17-18.
Jesus could do that because the Bible has corresponding or parallel cross-reference verses and passages along the same line of thought in harmony with his teachings.

Look I am just encouraging you to read the Bible from cover to cover with an open mind and with no assumptions about wether it is true or not.

If your religion is right then this reinforces it and you win. If your religion is wrong then it can help you see how.

If you are curious about the truth then this would be a win-win scenario.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

The KJV Bible at Genesis 1:5 also says: And God called the light 'Day'.
So, the 'daylight hours', to me according to Genesis 1:5, is a portion of a 24-hour day which is still called ' day '.
It was suggested to read the Bible as a whole, so in doing so at Psalms 90:4 I find a thousand years in God's sight is as yesterday.... which to me is in harmony with 2 Peter 3:8 where it states that..... a thousand years is as one day.
If all of the creative days were just 24 hour days, then how does one explain Genesis 2:4 where all of the creative days are summed up by the word: day.

siti

The KJV Bible at Genesis 1:5 also says: And God called the light 'Day'.
So, the 'daylight hours', to me according to Genesis 1:5, is a portion of a 24-hour day which is still called ' day '.
It was suggested to read the Bible as a whole, so in doing so at Psalms 90:4 I find a thousand years in God's sight is as yesterday.... which to me is in harmony with 2 Peter 3:8 where it states that..... a thousand years is as one day.
If all of the creative days were just 24 hour days, then how does one explain Genesis 2:4 where all of the creative days are summed up by the word: day.
We all know that there different meanings of the English word "day". The point in quoting Genesis 1:5 is to indicate that the Genesis creative days were all punctuated by the coming of an "evening" and a "morning" - i.e. a 24 hour day as delineated by the setting and rising of the sun. Putting it in that order also provides confirmation that a 24 hour day was intended because the Hebrew day began at sunset. There is no way that a Hebrew reader would have interpreted the days as anything other than a 24 hour day. That much is very clear, so if you want to reinterpret the creation account as something other than a sequence of six literal 24 hour days you have to take the whole account as symbolic, not merely pretend that "day" means something else.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Look I am just encouraging you to read the Bible from cover to cover with an open mind and with no assumptions about wether it is true or not.
If your religion is right then this reinforces it and you win. If your religion is wrong then it can help you see how.
If you are curious about the truth then this would be a win-win scenario.

How did you arrive at the conclusion I did Not read the Bible from cover to cover with an open mind........
Jesus based his teachings on the Bible as being religious truth according to John 17:17
By age 12 Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures, and he quoted and referred to them when he said, " it is written....." meaning already written down in the old Hebrew Scriptures.
How did the people at Acts of the Apostles 17:11 searched or research the Scriptures. It was Not just by sitting down and reading, but examining by topic or subject arrangement to see if what they were hearing or learning was really what the Bible teaches.

Reading from Genesis to Revelation does Not put the Bible in subject arrangement or topic arrangement.
A comprehensive concordance can help locate where each time a Bible word appears, so as to help paint a complete picture by taking one subject or one topic at a time.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
We all know that there different meanings of the English word "day". The point in quoting Genesis 1:5 is to indicate that the Genesis creative days were all punctuated by the coming of an "evening" and a "morning" - i.e. a 24 hour day as delineated by the setting and rising of the sun. Putting it in that order also provides confirmation that a 24 hour day was intended because the Hebrew day began at sunset. There is no way that a Hebrew reader would have interpreted the days as anything other than a 24 hour day. That much is very clear, so if you want to reinterpret the creation account as something other than a sequence of six literal 24 hour days you have to take the whole account as symbolic, not merely pretend that "day" means something else.

How could I conclude that Genesis 2:4 use of the word ' day ' means a 24-hour day for all 6 creative days.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Becuase I have yet to meet someone who has that has not said that is has at least some ambiguity.

"?" Sure, some words may be missed along the way, but I have even read the Douay's apocryphal books besides the "66" books of Bible canon. I could see by reading Sirach 25:23 blaming Eve for sin is out of harmony with the '66' established Bible books.
I stand by that Genesis 2:4 does Not mean all of the creative days were just one long day.
Each creative day was separate, just as God's 7th day is a separate day which is also longer than a 24-hour day.

siti

How could I conclude that Genesis 2:4 use of the word ' day ' means a 24-hour day for all 6 creative days.
You can't - I was talking about Genesis 1:5. Genesis 2:4 might be using the word "day" in the way you are suggesting - i.e. to mean an extended period longer than 24 hours. Or it may be that Genesis 2:4 is the beginning of someone else's account of creation (it certainly reads like the opening of a "genealogy" - compare Genesis 5:1 and Genesis 10:1 for example) in which the writer imagined it all to have been done in just one 24 hour day (there is no clear proof either way in that verse). But you certainly cannot easily deny that Genesis 1:5 (and 8, 13, 19, 23 and 31) refer to a 24 hour day each with an evening and a morning.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
"?" Sure, some words may be missed along the way, but I have even read the Douay's apocryphal books besides the "66" books of Bible canon. I could see by reading Sirach 25:23 blaming Eve for sin is out of harmony with the '66' established Bible books.
I stand by that Genesis 2:4 does Not mean all of the creative days were just one long day.
Each creative day was separate, just as God's 7th day is a separate day which is also longer than a 24-hour day.

Alright lets assume for the sake of argument that you are right about that.

Why would god have his book written that way?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
You can't - I was talking about Genesis 1:5. Genesis 2:4 might be using the word "day" in the way you are suggesting - i.e. to mean an extended period longer than 24 hours. Or it may be that Genesis 2:4 is the beginning of someone else's account of creation (it certainly reads like the opening of a "genealogy" - compare Genesis 5:1 and Genesis 10:1 for example) in which the writer imagined it all to have been done in just one 24 hour day (there is no clear proof either way in that verse). But you certainly cannot easily deny that Genesis 1:5 (and 8, 13, 19, 23 and 31) refer to a 24 hour day each with an evening and a morning.

Also, to me at Genesis 1:5 God calls the ' daylight ' hours as ' day '.
We know 'daylight hours' are a portion of a 24 hour day and Not 24 hours of daylight.

And in which ' day ' did God create Adam but in the 6th creative day.
So to me Genesis 5:1 is referring to the 6th creative day. Not all of the creative days (plural) as Genesis 2:4 does.
Whereas to me, Genesis 10:1 is Not talking about the creative days, but listing generations from Noah onward.
Adam's ' book of generations ' ( starting at Genesis 5:3) is a history account.

Because of the accuracy of CMBR ( cosmic microwave background radiation ) researchers know the Earth was created in more than just 6 literal 24-hour days.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Alright lets assume for the sake of argument that you are right about that.
Why would god have his book written that way?

Good question. As I understand, only people who really want to know will know.
Jesus taught in illustrations or parables, the people who really wanted to know answers to any questions they hung around for more explanation. Whereas others simply found his stories, or illustrative stories, as amusing as they did Not have inquiring minds who wanted to really know more as mentioned at Matthew 13:34-36; Mark 4:34.

We are invited to seek God according to Zephaniah 2:3 showing conditions to be met.
Jesus said to do that 'seeking' by praying for God's spirit according to Luke 11:13 B, so, by prayer, the pages of Scripture, and help from others as Philip helped the Ethiopian official at Acts of the Apostles 8:30-35, and how the people of Acts of the Apostles 17:11 searched the Scriptures daily to see if what they were hearing or learning was really what the Bible teaches.

siti

Because of the accuracy of CMBR ( cosmic microwave background radiation ) researchers know the Earth was created in more than just 6 literal 24-hour days.
I know that! I'm not talking about what we know now, I'm talking about what a Hebrew writer might have known in the 7th century BCE when the various accounts began to be put together. To me, Genesis chapter 1 is clearly talking about a sequence of 6 x 24 hour creative days. To me, Genesis chapter 1 is clearly wrong. To me, no amount of reinterpretative chicanery is going to rescue Genesis chapter 1. So may as well just accept that the writer meant what he wrote: that God created everything in 6 literal 24 hour days about 6000 years ago and got it very badly wrong.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
no amount of reinterpretative chicanery....

Paul's comments in Hebrews 4 reveal that God's rest day - the 7th - was Still Continuing In His Day! That's over 4,000 years later! So the evidence the Bible itself presents, is that those days were not literally 24-hour days!

It's all about context.

Have a great evening!