• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Openly gay and Catholic

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Every man has the power within him to resist and desist sin. He has the power and will to either diet or not diet, smoke or not, over drink or not, commit adultery or not, change his habits and his tastes.

Therefore, homosexuals, and all perverts, are without excuse.
That's cool. But homosexuality is not a sin. One cannot change one's sexuality. And they are no more "perverted" than you are.

DNB

Christian
No hate like christian love, eh?

Mind boggling that it's so easy to leave such obviously wrong and harmful doctrine aside, but instead so many cling to it like a lifeline and uphold it despite the glaringly obvious harm that it does.

And no, before you throw out the inevitable gutter-sludge that is so commonly regurgitated, homosexuality does not cause harm or pain or whatever other asinine thing you'll claim it does. Facts don't care about your feelings.
Unfortunately, what I'm about to say next is going to be beyond your capacity to understand:
All sexual deviancies destroy good character - I've never met a promiscuous woman that I could call a lady, nor a playboy that could be characterized as a gentleman. Neither one exists.
The attire, behaviour, attitude, shallowness and hedonism of homosexuals, indicts the lifestyle categorically.

I want them to stop and not be punished, and find a much better way of life that is 100x more beneficial and edifying.
As for you, quit hanging out with charlatan of heretical rabbis - it's as equally detrimental.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Unfortunately, what I'm about to say next is going to be beyond your capacity to understand:
I understand your hatred well enough, dude. It's sad to see you deafen your ears to the message of the prophet you claim to be a god so much.

As for you, quit hanging out with charlatan of heretical rabbis - it's as equally detrimental.
This is just absolutely ridiculous for a Christian to say.

DNB

Christian
I understand your hatred well enough, dude. It's sad to see you deafen your ears to the message of the prophet you claim to be a god so much.

This is just absolutely ridiculous for a Christian to say.
...just to clarify: I am a Christian, and to say that Jesus, or anyone other than the Father, is God, is utter blasphemy! I am of the belief that the doctrine of the trinity or modalism is from the devil.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yeah, it's really weird that all these Christians (well, those like him) are so obsessed with who we're having sex with...
I think that I can understand why. There have been studies that link latent homosexuality with homophobia. If your body was telling you one thing and your religion was telling you something else I can see how they might lash out in frustration. A good sign of this is when they try to claim that homosexuality is a choice.

I grew up in a rather homophobic time. It took me quite a while to see that gay people are not trying to convert anyone. And that they should have the same rights to marry the one that they love as everyone else has. To top it off I could see that it was blatant hypocrisy to deny marriage to homosexuals and then complain about their sexual promiscuity. Luckily I came to my senses before it was on the ballot in my state. I would have hated to vote against marriage equality and then realize that I was wrong after the fact.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
...just to clarify: I am a Christian, and to say that Jesus, or anyone other than the Father, is God, is utter blasphemy! I am of the belief that the doctrine of the trinity or modalism is from the devil.
Then as a Christian that puts you in a minority. Not that that makes you wrong. I can appreciate that approach to the religion, but to take insult when someone treated you as an average Christian is a bit ridiculous.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
No single gene, but from the same study ... "1) We discovered five genetic markers that were associated with same-sex sexual behavior."
The study shows that genes play a small and limited role in determining sexuality. Genetic heritability — all of the information stored in our genes and passed between generations — can only explain 8 to 25 percent of why people have same-sex relations, based on the study’s results.

Just a refinement of what you said. And, no the gay person doesn't decide to be gay. However, if the other 75% to 92% of why they are gay can be controlled in some way, the number of gays can be reduced, maybe. Just a thought. I have no evidence to support that. It says:

“Obviously, there are environmental causes of sexual orientation. We knew that before this study.” said Bailey, citing the well-defined role that life experiences play in sexual development. “But that doesn’t mean we know how to manipulate sexual orientation mentally.”

Will that always be true? I don't know. And this is after they are discovered to be gay. What about discovering the genes that predispose someone to be gay in the first place, and also after this knowing what environmental factors come into play with more scientific informaton being discovered about what those environmental factors are, and changing the environment somewhat.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That is debatable. The fact they some people have done so proves it is possible.

But even if they cannot change their sexual orientation they can control their sexual behavior.
Have they though? That is the claim. Sexuality is also said to be a spectrum. One can be just a little bit gay all the way to "Hello sailor!" Bisexuality is a real thing. A bi person could conceivably choose just one gender to be with. But there are men that are very gay and men that are very straight. I do not think that either of those would change.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The study shows that genes play a small and limited role in determining sexuality. Genetic heritability — all of the information stored in our genes and passed between generations — can only explain 8 to 25 percent of why people have same-sex relations, based on the study’s results.

Just a refinement of what you said. And, no the gay person doesn't decide to be gay. However, if the other 75% to 92% of why they are gay can be controlled in some way, the number of gays can be reduced, maybe. Just a thought. I have no evidence to support that. It says:

“Obviously, there are environmental causes of sexual orientation. We knew that before this study.” said Bailey, citing the well-defined role that life experiences play in sexual development. “But that doesn’t mean we know how to manipulate sexual orientation mentally.”

Will that always be true? I don't know. And this is after they are discovered to be gay. What about discovering the genes that predispose someone to be gay in the first place, and also after this knowing what environmental factors come into play with more scientific informaton being discovered about what those environmental factors are, and changing the environment somewhat.
Wow! That sounds a bit fascist. Perhaps we could apply the same to religious beliefs. If we control the environment that people live in we may be able to eliminate some of the minor religions. Does that sound good to you?

Also that analysis could easily be wrong. Statistics is a field that people abuse 78% of the time.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
but it does not determine sexual orientation, since the latest studies have found there is no gay gene
There is no single "gay gene" as your own link states, as it is more complex than that. Sexual orientation is not determined by one's "equipment" but on hormonal levels as each of us have both some variable levels of testosterone and estrogen.

God did not create gay people, God just created people, and people became gay for a number of reasons.
Did God make heterosexuals but not homosexuals? Try and find a study on that, OK, and if you do then maybe post it.

IOW, let me recommend you do the science on this.

metis

Every man has the power within him to resist and desist sin. He has the power and will to either diet or not diet, smoke or not, over drink or not, commit adultery or not, change his habits and his tastes.

Therefore, homosexuals, and all perverts, are without excuse.
Are you being perverted because you're willing to stoop to calling others "perverts" simply because they're different? Do you do this in other areas as well?

metis

All sexual deviancies destroy good character - I've never met a promiscuous woman that I could call a lady, nor a playboy that could be characterized as a gentleman. Neither one exists.
The attire, behaviour, attitude, shallowness and hedonism of homosexuals, indicts the lifestyle categorically.

I want them to stop and not be punished, and find a much better way of life that is 100x more beneficial and edifying.
When you post something like the above, it appears you don't realize how much you are hurting Christianity as you're being so judgmental and nasty.

pearl

When it comes to questioning the morality of homosexuality, I pose the same question Francis did,
'Who am I to judge?' That's a faith response, not a religious response. Homosexuals who live in a committed relationship are as moral as their heterosexual counterpart. And ought to be welcomed by their faith community. The final 'judge' is not the Church, but God alone. It is not the Church that 'saves', it is God alone. All life belongs to God, we need to recognize all others as such.

Gargovic Malkav

When you post something like the above, it appears you don't realize how much you are hurting Christianity as you're being so judgmental and nasty.

I think he feels he's hurting Christianity if he would conform to the moral standards of popular culture.
I also see he's not the only party doing the judging.

Reactions: DNB

metis

I think he feels he's hurting Christianity if he would conform to the moral standards of popular culture.
I also see he's not the only party doing the judging.
If you reread what I posted, that wasn't my point.

It reminds me of a definition of "tactful": The ability to tell a person to go to hell so well that they actually look forward to the trip.