• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One God or many gods

Bear Wild

I don't know if I understand you. There is One Infinity and many subsets called gods these are the angels of abrahamics.
The one and the many representing a paradox both true at the same time. But the many are not angels at all. I have know idea where you came up with this weird idea. The many are the gods and goddesses of the world. Yes, the abrahamic god is one of them but only equal to the others and never superior even though his followers desperately want that to be true so they can feel superior. I hope you are not one of those that need to feel superior and believe that the abrahamic god it the only one. I do not follow him but apparently you do. I am happy for you if you feel a deep connection. I grew up with the Christian god and found him to be disconnected, and not in harmony with our world. After I met the goddess which brought me into resonance and harmony with the world and I found out why I never felt the deep connection with the Christian god and am thankful to no longer follow him. So we agree on the paradox of the one which is the way made up of the two the yin and yang and the three that weave the wyrd and the many gods, goddesses, spirits, fairies, elves, dwarves land wights and the many other numinous beings.

Tinkerpeach

To people on RF who believe in many gods, why do you believe that and not in only one god?

To people on RF who believe in one god, why do you believe that and not in many gods?
The same reason as most people believe I imagine.

It’s what I was raised with in my culture.

Sargonski

The same reason as most people believe I imagine.

It’s what I was raised with in my culture.

Guessing that would be Polytheist .. as in Shiva and friends .. or Polytheist .. YHWH - BAAL - Asherah and friends in the Bible .. and the Islam and the Jew believe in the Important Parts .. the Polytheistic important parts .. EL - Ellil .. Allah --- head of the Divine Council in Heaven .... and even Ahura Mazda ---- adopted by Judaism the closest we have to monotheism .. but there is a dark demi-urge around the corner .. more of a dualism -- Chaos vs Order .. primordial uncreated one .. with twin poles .. of a sort.

So is it Polytheism or more likely monolateralism .. belief in many but pray to only one .. but would it not be more fun .. if you could pray to more than one ..even to so far as to worship the Sun .. the source of all life ... a think that has to be done

Tinkerpeach

Guessing that would be Polytheist .. as in Shiva and friends .. or Polytheist .. YHWH - BAAL - Asherah and friends in the Bible .. and the Islam and the Jew believe in the Important Parts .. the Polytheistic important parts .. EL - Ellil .. Allah --- head of the Divine Council in Heaven .... and even Ahura Mazda ---- adopted by Judaism the closest we have to monotheism .. but there is a dark demi-urge around the corner .. more of a dualism -- Chaos vs Order .. primordial uncreated one .. with twin poles .. of a sort.

So is it Polytheism or more likely monolateralism .. belief in many but pray to only one .. but would it not be more fun .. if you could pray to more than one ..even to so far as to worship the Sun .. the source of all life ... a think that has to be done
This is where I rely on my faith and the wisdom of God that He knows what He is doing.

I have no doubt whatsoever that I am worshipping the correct God yet others are just as convinced that they are doing the same.

How do we reconcile this?

We don’t, we let God handle it. We as Christian’s or those of other faiths act and do as they are commanded and let God work through them.

It is God’s problem to solve and we are the tools he uses. Too often people of faith think that they need to make the difference when they should be letting God do it.

That is how I handle it.

From an academic perspective perhaps it isn’t the name you call God but the fact that you have given your life over to Him. Given the variety of cultures throughout history and today it seems reasonable that God could appeal to different people in different ways.

So maybe Muslims, Hindus, Jews…..are all actually worshipping the same God.

But I don’t know for certain.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
To people on RF who believe in many gods, why do you believe that and not in only one god?

To people on RF who believe in one god, why do you believe that and not in many gods?

I'd imagine for most folks it is just a matter of what their religion taught them.

Sargonski

This is where I rely on my faith and the wisdom of God that He knows what He is doing.

I have no doubt whatsoever that I am worshipping the correct God yet others are just as convinced that they are doing the same.

We don’t, we let God handle it. We as Christian’s or those of other faiths act and do as they are commanded and let God work through them.

It is God’s problem to solve and we are the tools he uses. Too often people of faith think that they need to make the difference when they should be letting God do it.

That is how I handle it.

From an academic perspective perhaps it isn’t the name you call God but the fact that you have given your life over to Him. Given the variety of cultures throughout history and today it seems reasonable that God could appeal to different people in different ways.

In a round about way " I don't know for certain" hits the nail on the head -- the first step in the journy is realizing what one does .. and does not know .. and one thing we for sure do not know is the activities of the Gods .. and more importantly the degree to which the Chief God of Earth intervenes .. or just observes the experiment from a far.

That said --- I believe we have clues .. to the activities of the Gods in the universe around us ... footprints left in the snow -- but by an animal not recognized .. even so you can see which direction the animal was going.

Now -- if the Jewish Bible - or parts of it - is evidence of God's intervention then we can make some interesting comments .. the first being NO .. NO .. NO .. NO NO NO.. and NO NO :) heh heh heh If the OT is any indication of the intervention of Gods in the affairs of men --- then 100% -- God does not know what she is doing .. or at least some of the Gods do not know that they are doing .. being neither omnipotent nor all powerful.

"God's problem to solve" -- Not if the Jewish Bible is any indication . Is your problem to solve .. hence why the creator gave the gift of brain matter .. :()

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I assume what you are trying to say is that the Bible verses you quote, prove that the Qur'an
is a fraud.
Me .. I don't see what difference it makes which son it was .. so I find it all very suspicious.
Similarly, I find the belief of Shia Muslims suspicious.
I don't think that G-d is like humans, and cares about blood-lineage.
I think that G-d cares about righteousness.
Yes, agree that God cares about righteousness.
Resurrection according to Acts 24:15 is for the righteous, but also includes the unrighteous.
The Bible speaks of a resurrection of both the righteous and unrighteous ( King James Version says ' just and unjust ')
It is the 'wicked' who will be 'destroyed forever' according to Psalms 92:7; 104:35; 145:20 and Proverbs 2:21-22.
So, in the earthly resurrection the righteous need to remain righteous and the unrighteous to learn righteousness.
As for the living, there is a coming ' time of separation ' as found at Matthew 25:31-34,37
The Bible places Jesus as King who decides who are the humble sheep or haughty goats.
How Jesus' 'spiritual brothers' have been treated according to Matthew 25:40.
Jesus' lineage goes back through Isaac.
Notice the plural at Revelation 22:2 because through Jesus there will be ' healing ' for earth's nations ( plural ).

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails

That is how I handle it.

God is infinity. If you take out infinity out of infiNity, then infinity remains. We may thus consider God as an Infinite Continuum into which different religions tap. The only problem arises when we consider our God to be superior.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails

Elohim greater than Yahweh. Likewise in all religions. 1. God Himself is Infinite. So there can be many Infinities. 2. There are levels of God Consciousness in all religions. Think of God as multi.layered cloud of consciousness.
So first we need to penetrate into Infinity through the lower levels. Then we need to recognize many Infinities.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
Yes, agree that God cares about righteousness.
Resurrection according to Acts 24:15 is for the righteous, but also includes the unrighteous.
The Bible speaks of a resurrection of both the righteous and unrighteous ( King James Version says ' just and unjust ')
It is the 'wicked' who will be 'destroyed forever' according to Psalms 92:7; 104:35; 145:20 and Proverbs 2:21-22.
So, in the earthly resurrection the righteous need to remain righteous and the unrighteous to learn righteousness.
As for the living, there is a coming ' time of separation ' as found at Matthew 25:31-34,37
The Bible places Jesus as King who decides who are the humble sheep or haughty goats.
How Jesus' 'spiritual brothers' have been treated according to Matthew 25:40.
Jesus' lineage goes back through Isaac.
Notice the plural at Revelation 22:2 because through Jesus there will be ' healing ' for earth's nations ( plural ).
If God is Infinity then there can be many Jesus. How would NT explain that.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If God is Infinity then there can be many Jesus. How would NT explain that.
Thank you for the question because having an inquiring mind one wants to know.
In the NT Jesus is singular as the Son of God. - Matthew 3:17; Mark 1:11; Luke 3:22
In Scripture angels are also called as 'sons of God' ( No Upper Case letter "S" for those angels )

Psalm 90:2 does have God as from infinity ( No beginning )
Pre-human heavenly Jesus, on the other hand, was ' in the beginning' . Not before beginning as his God was.
Jesus gives credit to his God as being the Creator (singular) - Revelation 4:11
Even the resurrected ascended-to-heaven Jesus still thinks he has a God over Him as per Revelation 3:12.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If multiple powerful beings exist, that would certainly explain the many different religious groups. Perhaps each group really is following one of the gods, but no group reigns supreme because none of the higher powers are all-powerful lol.
If we trace mankind's religious family tree back to it base we find ancient Babylon.
As the people migrated away from the ancient Babylon they took with them their different languages and false religious ideas and practices and spread them world wide into a greater religious Babylon or Babylon the Great.
This is why today we see so many similar or overlapping religious ideas and practices throughout the religious world.
Also, Jesus forewarns us that MANY would come in his name but prove false as per Matthew 7:21-23.
Often false because of the mixing of Scripture with what is Not Scripture but simply taught as being Scripture.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
God is infinity. If you take out infinity out of infiNity, then infinity remains. We may thus consider God as an Infinite Continuum into which different religions tap. The only problem arises when we consider our God to be superior.
Different or all religions tap ________
Jesus did consider his God as Superior even now in heaven - Revelation 3:12
Jesus considered his God as 'singular' Creator - Revelation 4:11
As the ancient people of ancient Babylon left Babylon they took with them their different languages along with their religious ideas and practices and spread that world wide into a greater religious Babylon or Babylon the Great.
Thus, the different religions tap into that ancient religious Babylon, now Babylon the Great.
This is why today we see the world's religions tapped into ancient Babylonian similar religious or overlapping ideas and practices seen in today's world.

idea

Question Everything
If we trace mankind's religious family tree back to it base we find ancient Babylon.
As the people migrated away from the ancient Babylon they took with them their different languages and false religious ideas and practices and spread them world wide into a greater religious Babylon or Babylon the Great.
This is why today we see so many similar or overlapping religious ideas and practices throughout the religious world.
Also, Jesus forewarns us that MANY would come in his name but prove false as per Matthew 7:21-23.
Often false because of the mixing of Scripture with what is Not Scripture but simply taught as being Scripture.

The oldest religion - Hinduism, it all started with Hinduism, oldest text, oldest culture.

Sargonski

Elohim greater than Yahweh. Likewise in all religions. 1. God Himself is Infinite. So there can be many Infinities. 2. There are levels of God Consciousness in all religions. Think of God as multi.layered cloud of consciousness.
So first we need to penetrate into Infinity through the lower levels. Then we need to recognize many Infinities.

No No -- there is not many infinities - There may be many universes in the multiverse .. but only one infinity :)

Bear Wild

Polytheism is polytheism. The gods and goddesses are each complex representing a equally complex world., yet they have aspects that a person might identify with more. Thus, one might give an offering to one god or goddess that one wants to from a connection with based on your situation. But that does not make any god greater than another. There is no greater than deity.