• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One atheist’s idea on how to prevent evil

Altfish

Veteran Member
I have an atheist poster on my forum who says it is god’s fault there is evil because god, if he exists, makes evil choices available to humans.

Atheist: Any being who would make evil choices available would be an evil being. Therefore, if god exists, god is to blame for evil, not humans.

He says that god could arrange it so only good choices are available for people to make and that would prevent evil.

So I asked him to explain precisely how God could make only good choices available to humans and I asked him to explain HOW this would play out in the real world we live in. Below is his answer:

Atheist: Try having a real omnipotent god who could see to that.

As you can see he could not answer HOW a real omnipotent God could make only good choices available to humans.
I have asked him three or four times and still no answer.

How could an omnipotent God make only good choices available to humans? Any ideas?
If your poster is blaming evil on 'god', then he isn't an atheist.
Atheists don't believe gods exist

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The murder wouldn't be a murderer if there was no desire or intention to kill. They'd feel just like you: that their free will hasn't been taken away.
But there is an desire and intention and the murderer is responsible for it.
To make the world a better place and so we all get along. It makes him evil because he could fix the problem but instead he allows for suffering of extreme degrees to persist. Like WWII. Yes, god is very evil for allowing that to happen.
No, God did not do the evil so God is not responsible for the evil.
God is purely good. Man is responsible for all the evil in the world.

“God hath in that Book, and by His behest, decreed as lawful whatsoever He hath pleased to decree, and hath, through the power of His sovereign might, forbidden whatsoever He elected to forbid. To this testifieth the text of that Book. Will ye not bear witness? Men, however, have wittingly broken His law. Is such a behavior to be attributed to God, or to their proper selves? Be fair in your judgment. Every good thing is of God, and every evil thing is from yourselves. Will ye not comprehend? This same truth hath been revealed in all the Scriptures, if ye be of them that understand.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 149-150

74x12

There is the heart of God which is what He in His love would choose for everyone and we can follow it. And then there is the perfect and unknowable will of God which is predestined and must come to pass down to the least particle.

However, since we don't know this predestined perfect will of God. It's on us to follow the heart of God. In doing so we show ourselves whether we were predestined as the children of God or Satan.

Then when all is revealed and shown what it is by the fruit it bears. It will be shown as chosen or rejected. Then the final creation will be revealed; as a very excellent and perfect jewel of immeasurable worth. And it will be shining in the Light of God. So you have the convergence of the perfect will of God and the heart of God in the end.

In the mean time God's heart is that all would be saved and come to the knowledge of God.

This is why God says I have chosen you in the furnace of affliction. (Isaiah 48:10)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Think about that for a moment. How can that statement possibly be true if we are free to choose?
God's knowledge does not prevent us from choosing what God knows we will choose.
We are free to choose what God knows we will choose.

Question.—If God has knowledge of an action which will be performed by someone, and it has been written on the Tablet of Fate, is it possible to resist it?
Answer.—The foreknowledge of a thing is not the cause of its realization; for the essential knowledge of God surrounds, in the same way, the realities of things, before as well as after their existence, and it does not become the cause of their existence. It is a perfection of God........

Therefore, the knowledge of God in the realm of contingency does not produce the forms of the things. On the contrary, it is purified from the past, present and future. It is identical with the reality of the things; it is not the cause of their occurrence........

The mathematicians by astronomical calculations know that at a certain time an eclipse of the moon or the sun will occur. Surely this discovery does not cause the eclipse to take place. This is, of course, only an analogy and not an exact image. Some Answered Questions, pp. 138-139

35: PREDESTINATION

We Never Know

No Slack
I cannot say why that is in the Bible...
I am talking about the teachings and laws of Baha'u'llah which are just.

Many people don't live their life by the advice, teachings, rules of their own grandparents or parents. Why should they live their life by what those that existed 1000's of years ago thought?

We Never Know

No Slack
Humans need to be recreated because of the sinful flesh we inhabit. That's why Jesus was born again from the dead. And why God offers that same resurrection to others.

Didn't jesus die for all of man's sins, past present and future? If so then no man, person is a sinner.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
God's knowledge does not prevent us from choosing what God knows we will choose.
We are free to choose what God knows we will choose.
If god knows what we'll choose, then we aren't making a choice. We can only act in a way that god knows we will.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Humans need to be recreated because of the sinful flesh we inhabit. That's why Jesus was born again from the dead. And why God offers that same resurrection to others.
That is essentially what I believe.

Question.—In verse 22 of chapter 15 of 1 Corinthians it is written: “For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.” What is the meaning of these words?
Answer.—Know that there are two natures in man: the physical nature and the spiritual nature. The physical nature is inherited from Adam, and the spiritual nature is inherited from the Reality of the Word of God, which is the spirituality of Christ. The physical nature is born of Adam, but the spiritual nature is born from the bounty of the Holy Spirit. The first is the source of all imperfection; the second is the source of all perfection.

The Christ sacrificed Himself so that men might be freed from the imperfections of the physical nature and might become possessed of the virtues of the spiritual nature. This spiritual nature, which came into existence through the bounty of the Divine Reality, is the union of all perfections and appears through the breath of the Holy Spirit. It is the divine perfections; it is light, spirituality, guidance, exaltation, high aspiration, justice, love, grace, kindness to all, philanthropy, the essence of life. It is the reflection of the splendor of the Sun of R
eality.
Some Answered Questions, p. 118

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Not really. If I offer my kids steak or hamburger and I know they will 99% of the time choose steak, I'm still giving them a choice and they can choose hamburger anytime.
You are letting them choose either or, not giving them a choice to choose what you know they will. You'd have to remove the hamburgers as an option, and tell them, without any options present, they are free to choose steak because you know that's what they'll choose.

74x12

If god knows what we'll choose, then we aren't making a choice. We can only act in a way that god knows we will.
True, but only God knows the end result. So I reason within myself that people ought to do their best to be saved. This way they prove by their works that they are chosen by God. For as Jesus taught, every plant that bears good fruit was planted by God and what ever bears evil fruit was planted by His enemy.