• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma Lawmaker Wants to Push Christian Revisionist History in Public Schools

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I wonder if the lawmaker would want Christian support for slavery taught.
And the role of non-believers & deists in the founding of the country..

Christians are supporting slavery?

Were those who were anti-slavery Christians or humanists?

another revisionist statement that contains a half-truth and declaring it as a truth.

Kenny

Premium Member
Every thinking man, when he thinks, realizes that the teachings of the Bible are so interwoven and entwined with our whole civic and social life that it would be literally impossible for us to figure ourselves what that life would be if these standards were removed. We would lose almost all the standards by which we now judge both public and private morals, all the standards which we, with more or less resolution, strive to raise ourselves.”

President Teddy Roosevelt

Are those who want to revise history not thinking? ;)

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Revisionist thinking:

Nope. Objective historical fact. Turns out that the colour picture books for indoctrinating American children into the national cult during the Cold War turned out to be a bit simplistic. You're allowed to learn new and nuanced information you didn't learn in primary school, really, I promise you won't get in trouble.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

another revisionist statement that contains a half-truth and declaring it as a truth.
Yes, many Christians supported slavery and since the Bible is clearly more pro-slavery than anti-slavery they had no problem using it.

Kangaroo Feathers

Every thinking man, when he thinks, realizes that the teachings of the Bible are so interwoven and entwined with our whole civic and social life that it would be literally impossible for us to figure ourselves what that life would be if these standards were removed. We would lose almost all the standards by which we now judge both public and private morals, all the standards which we, with more or less resolution, strive to raise ourselves.”

President Teddy Roosevelt

Are those who want to revise history not thinking? ;)
Look up "appeal to authority fallacy" just any time

Kenny

Premium Member
"Who. . . will call in question the assertion that this is a Bible nation? Who will charge the government with indifference to religion when the first Congress of the Stats assumed all the rights and performed all the duties of a Bible Society long before such an institution had an existence in the world!"

Journals of the Continental Congress (Washington: Government Printing Office 19140 Vol XXIII p 574 - Sept 12, 1782

the answer to the question is "Revisionists" :) of course.

Kangaroo Feathers

We all quote from authority and many times demand the location of ones position.

Look up "strawman" just any time. ;)
I know what that one means too, but you clearly don't as you regularly misuse it, as here.

As usual, you have nothing but a bunch of made up and false claims supported by fallacious arguements, caring nothing for accuracy or honesty but only your misguided agenda. When challenged, you dodge and avoid the question, and when that doesn't work, insult the person presenting you with inconvenient facts. If you ever feel capable of an intellectually honest discussion in future, or if you ever accept that anyone else might have anything to teach you, I would welcome a genuine and respectful conversation with you. Until that time, however, I'm calling this strike 3.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"Who. . . will call in question the assertion that this is a Bible nation? Who will charge the government with indifference to religion when the first Congress of the Stats assumed all the rights and performed all the duties of a Bible Society long before such an institution had an existence in the world!"

Journals of the Continental Congress (Washington: Government Printing Office 19140 Vol XXIII p 574 - Sept 12, 1782

the answer to the question is "Revisionists" :) of course.
You do realize that that was before the Constitution. Errors in acts before we had a proper way to judge them cannot be applied to the country as a whole.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I disagree... the very purpose of the United States was "freedom of religion" as they ran away from a forced Theocracy,.

This one of the purposes of our government, and secular humanism was an influence in achieving this. Many is not all the colonies had religious laws legislating religious beliefs. A sort of Theodicy. Slowly over time these were removed. Separation of church and state was an important part of "freedom of religion."

This is true. It is the watering down of the Christian influence and its drive in the forming of the Constitution that I am talking about,

Actually, this is not true. The dominant changes in the textbooks since the 60s was to add missing history.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The answer to your question was obvious. It was Christians that supported slavery. Humanism was not even a concept at that time.

Well, I believe that humanism existed in the writings and influence of some of the founding fathers, like Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin.

Slavery was definitely a part of the Christian culture in founding of the United States, but there were movements that advocated ending slavery.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

They supported it, the fact that some opposed it notwithstanding.
So if they want to inject more religious info into classes, it shouldn't
just be info which makes them feel good.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Their meddling in government threatens our rights, freedoms, equality and the quality of our children's education. If they could they would force their beliefs upon the people via theocracy.

You play dumb because you got your tongue caught in Trump's boot treads.

We need Christian Fundamentalist support in order for our POTUS to be re-elected, they are a vital part of our political base.