• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, Let's Do This: Homosexuality

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
ok well I'll try again...
basically I am asking if it is natural and/or detrimental for 'homophobes' and the 'socially retarded' to hold differing feelings about homosexuals and heterosexuals.

I still dont understand what you are asking

Is it natural or detrimental for people who dislike samesex to hold different feelings toward each group??/ if that is what you are asking, then no.

Would it be detrimental? I dont believe so, no.

Is it natural? Of course. Opinions tend to cause such differentiations.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
As Pegg has demonstrated, I don't think it is natural. It is merely an interpretation of their holy texts. If they were unhindered by religion and societal pressure, I don't think anyone would hold differing views about either sexuality.

You're probably right. If I had no knowledge of Gods laws, i might not hold the same view.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
the goals of the GLAAD organization is the make homosexuality more 'accepted' among other things.
Its one thing to demand ones rights, but its something entirely different to demand acceptance as well.
For example, I know people dont like it when JW's knock at their door, but we have the legal right to do so.
Um, when you knock on peoples' doors, what do you think you are doing? preaching is a way to make your view more acceptable :facepalm:

Now i accept that people dont like it and I dont expect them to like it, nor do I stigmatize them for not liking it. I dont start calling them names because they dont like it....im just happy I have the right to preach.
Yes, you have the right to preach. But homosexuals do not have many rights that we have. So, I wouldn't place myself in the same category as them and get all self righteous and red in the face about it.
I dont have a problem with gay people as I also stated. Nor do I hold contradictory views.
That's it! you convinced me! oh wait, no, you didn't. Assertions are not arguments.

Also, I would appreciate it if you could back up your claims about homosexual bullies with actual facts, not mere assertions.
Also, you avoided my left-handed and right-handed example. Care to elucidate on that issue?

jelly

ok well I'll try again...
basically I am asking if it is natural and/or detrimental for 'homophobes' and the 'socially retarded' to hold differing feelings about homosexuals and heterosexuals.
I still dont understand what you are asking

Is it natural or detrimental for people who dislike samesex to hold different feelings toward each group??/ if that is what you are asking, then no.

Would it be detrimental? I dont believe so, no.

Is it natural? Of course. Opinions tend to cause such differentiations.
so which are you going with yes to natural and detrimental or no to natural and detrimental?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Um, when you knock on peoples' doors, what do you think you are doing? preaching is a way to make your view more acceptable :facepalm:

no its not actually. We are not under any illusions that society will accept our message...that is the difference.

Yes, you have the right to preach. But homosexuals do not have many rights that we have. So, I wouldn't place myself in the same category as them and get all self righteous and red in the face about it.

so would I, hence why I dont deride them for wanting the same rights as everyone else. They want the right to freedom of thought and feeling. But they deride anyone who disagrees with them.

we can all still have rights and not agree with each other...thats called tolerance, but it seems the tolerance can only go one way for them because they will not tolerate being told that their form of sexuality is wrong.

Also, I would appreciate it if you could back up your claims about homosexual bullies with actual facts, not mere assertions.
i think the fact that i've been called a 'homophobe' and a 'social retard' is evidence enough of the bullying directed at those who disagree ;)

Also, you avoided my left-handed and right-handed example. Care to elucidate on that issue?

its not an issue. Like I said, there may be some physiological mechanism at work which pushes someone in such a direction. Im not going to judge them for that, but it still doesnt make acting on the impulse right. Some people have a physiological obsession with stealing... they are not justified in acting on that impulse just because its real.

FlyingTeaPot

no its not actually. We are not under any illusions that society will accept our message...that is the difference.
The same goes for them, but they still try. same as you, no difference.

so would I, hence why I dont deride them for wanting the same rights as everyone else. They want the right to freedom of thought and feeling. But they deride anyone who disagrees with them.
No, there is a difference between them educating people and derision.

we can all still have rights and not agree with each other...thats called tolerance, but it seems the tolerance can only go one way for them because they will not tolerate being told that their form of sexuality is wrong.
It seems to me that people like you cannot tolerate their sexual orientation and feel the need to tell them that they are somehow inferior or that they are sinners.
i think the fact that i've been called a 'homophobe' and a 'social retard' is evidence enough of the bullying directed at those who disagree ;)
I can only speak for myself. I have not called you a homophobe or a sexual retard. Also, I am not gay, so it doesn't prove anything :rolleyes:

its not an issue. Like I said, there may be some physiological mechanism at work which pushes someone in such a direction. Im not going to judge them for that, but it still doesnt make acting on the impulse right. Some people have a physiological obsession with stealing... they are not justified in acting on that impulse just because its real.

No, the argument was that it occurs in nature. You said "why won't they accept heterosexuality as natural ?". I argued that they do. red herrings and strawman arguments are fine and dandy, but you are dodging the question.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
how do you know this?

because I dont condone forced belief. It is not wrong for someone to dislike something.

this applies to homosexuals and hetrosexuals. As I said at the outset, we are all free to make our own choices and decisions.

jelly

because I dont condone forced belief. It is not wrong for someone to dislike something.

this applies to homosexuals and hetrosexuals. As I said at the outset, we are all free to make our own choices and decisions.
really... so you hold the opinion that heterosexuals and homosexuals can have intimate relationships, but your opinions are different for the heterosexual act and homosexual act?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
No, there is a difference between them educating people and derision.

no one minds when you say "yes Gay people should have the same rights as eveyone else"
but as soon as you say "I dont like homosexuality" then all hell breaks loose.

Just look at this thread :p

It seems to me that people like you cannot tolerate their sexual orientation and feel the need to tell them that they are somehow inferior or that they are sinners.

We are all sinners. And hetrosexuals are just as sinful when they practice sex outside the bounds of marriage. The bible doesnt condemn only homosexuals...we all get a mention. Thats the beauty of being equal in Gods eyes. He loves us all the same no matter what our sin.

Its our willingness to love him back that brings us unstuck.

FlyingTeaPot

no one minds when you say "yes Gay people should have the same rights as eveyone else"

Just look at this thread :p

I think you are mistaken. Can you point out where I have derided you for saying "I don't like homosexuality" in this thread?

We are all sinners. And hetrosexuals are just as sinful when they practice sex outside the bounds of marriage. The bible doesnt condemn only homosexuals...we all get a mention. Thats the beauty of being equal in Gods eyes. He loves us all the same no matter what our sin.

Its our willingness to love him back that brings us unstuck.

If you say so.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Well, surely you can understand why people might find it distasteful for someone to openly announce they dislike someone due to something that A.) they have no control over and B.) is harmless anyway.

Now Jehovah's Witnesses on the other hand can use reason to decide whether or not to believe and follow their religion, and also often kill their own children by denying them much needed organ transplants or blood transfusions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Now Jehovah's Witnesses on the other hand can use reason to decide whether or not to believe and follow their religion, and also often kill their own children by denying them much needed organ transplants or blood transfusions.
The JWs often kill their children?
I must know some odd ones...none kill their kids...or anyone else.

jelly

do you hold the opinion that heterosexuals and homosexuals can have intimate relationships, and are your opinions different for the heterosexual act and homosexual act?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Well, surely you can understand why people might find it distasteful for someone to openly announce they dislike someone due to something that A.) they have no control over and B.) is harmless anyway.

I've never said I dont like homosexuals. I said I dont like homosexuality. big difference.

and this is why tolerance is needed by everyone.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
do you hold the opinion that heterosexuals and homosexuals can have intimate relationships, and are your opinions different for the heterosexual act and homosexual act?

people can do whatever they like. if thats what they (both groups) want to do, then they are free to do it.

My opinions are no different for either group. We all sit before the judgement seat of God, he's the one we have to answer to and sin is sin.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
what obligation does a JW have to keep their kids alive?
You'd have to ask them, since I'm ignorant of the religion.
But I don't think they need a scriptural basis to justify the wellbeing of their children.
After all, we atheists have no dogma telling us to protect ours. We do so because it comes naturally.

This thread seems to have a trollish scent to it. The OP seems to invite an in-your-face discussion,
yet if one openly expresses the belief that practicing homosexuality is a sin (without even advocating
infringement of such a liberty), one is excoriated.

Last edited: