• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ohio's heartbeat bill could upend Roe v. Wade. It started at a sleepover.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
The abortion issue won't be put to rest until we as a nation determine at what point in the human life cycle we confer legal personhood on an individual. Conception? First heartbeat? First brain waves? The point of viability? A few days after they're born?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The abortion issue won't be put to rest until we as a nation determine at what point in the human life cycle we confer legal personhood on an individual. Conception? First heartbeat? First brain waves? The point of viability? A few days after they're born?

...early to mid teens? (parent joke)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The abortion issue won't be put to rest until we as a nation determine at what point in the human life cycle we confer legal personhood on an individual. Conception? First heartbeat? First brain waves? kThe point of viability? A few days after they're born?
Heartbeat is a romantic notion.
Any determination of beginning of human life will
be arbitrary, & hammered out in political compromise.

Btw, I'm pro-abortion because the one carrying the
fetus is the one more deserving of autonomy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The abortion issue won't be put to rest until we as a nation determine at what point in the human life cycle we confer legal personhood on an individual. Conception? First heartbeat? First brain waves? kThe point of viability? A few days after they're born?

Shiranui117

Premium Member

So do you have an answer as to when we can actually call something a human life worthy of conferring legal rights and protections under the law? Does a baby in the womb at or beyond the point of viability constitute a human life meriting legal rights and protections under the law?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So do you have an answer as to when we can actually call something a human life worthy of conferring legal rights and protections under the law? Does a baby in the womb at or beyond the point of viability constitute a human life meriting legal rights and protections under the law?
I personally have no answer because it's an arbitrary definition.
But I recognize that it's most useful to establish some point before
which abortion is available, & after which it would be prohibited
(with some special exceptions I cannot anticipate).
This approach would preserve the right to control one's reproduction,
while being politically palatable to those who oppose it.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
I personally have no answer because it's an arbitrary definition.
But I recognize that it's most useful to establish some point before
which abortion is available, & after which it would be prohibited
(with some special exceptions I cannot anticipate).
This approach would preserve the right to control one's reproduction,
while being politically palatable to those who oppose it.
Fair enough.

We Never Know

No Slack

Many have repeat abortions. There are numerous birth control methods that are easily obtained. In my opinion abortions are being used as an answer to irresponsibility. Reasons given are already have children, race, education, etc. You can read more at the link.

Introduction

Abortion is a common medical procedure undergone by many U.S. women; in 2014 there were 926,000 terminations. Additionally, many women have more than one abortion over the course of their reproductive lives. In 2008, 50% of all abortion patients reported having one or more prior abortions, a proportion that has remained stable since 1993.

Which Abortion Patients Have Had a Prior Abortion? Findings from the 2014 U.S. Abortion Patient Survey

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The abortion issue won't be put to rest until we as a nation determine at what point in the human life cycle we confer legal personhood on an individual.

Given that Roe v. Wade has stood for 46 years through all kinds of political climates, be it good or bad, I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Many have repeat abortions. There are numerous birth control methods that are easily obtained. In my opinion abortions are being used as an answer to irresponsibility. Reasons given are already have children, race, education, etc. You can read more at the link.
If repeated abortions are the problem, would you impose a numerical limit?
Introduction

Abortion is a common medical procedure undergone by many U.S. women; in 2014 there were 926,000 terminations. Additionally, many women have more than one abortion over the course of their reproductive lives. In 2008, 50% of all abortion patients reported having one or more prior abortions, a proportion that has remained stable since 1993.

Which Abortion Patients Have Had a Prior Abortion? Findings from the 2014 U.S. Abortion Patient Survey
I don't favor the loss of a right just because it's exercised more often than some people like.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There are numerous birth control methods that are easily obtained. In my opinion abortions are being used as an answer to irresponsibility.

That's a pretty broad judgment. Is being raped irresponsible? Is being a victim of incest irresponsible? You can't know every circumstance that leads a woman to get an abortion. Not to mention it's not for you to decide who and what is irresponsible.

We Never Know

No Slack
That's a pretty broad judgment. Is being raped irresponsible? Is being a victim of incest irresponsible? You can't know every circumstance that leads a woman to get an abortion. Not to mention it's not for you to decide who and what is irresponsible.

Most abortions aren't from being raped, they are from irresponsible unprotected sex. You're trying to compare apples to oranges.

We Never Know

No Slack
If repeated abortions are the problem, would you impose a numerical limit?

I don't favor the loss of a right just because it's exercised more often than some people like.

One would think if they've already had an abortion maybe they should be more responsible and use protection.
Or if they already have kids but don't want more, fix yourself or your spouse.
There are a lot more answers than oh I'm pregnant, I don't want it, let's abort it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One would think if they've already had an abortion maybe they should be more responsible and use protection.
Or if they already have kids but don't want more, fix yourself or your spouse.
There are a lot more answers than oh I'm pregnant, I don't want it, let's abort it.
How many abortions would constitute irresponsibility?
And what of an exception for rape resulting in conception?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't imagine history will look back favorably on a society who considered the murder of our in utero children as simply a "choice".
It all depends upon who is interpreting history.
I see abortion rights as progress.
But some people disagree.