• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh NOes!!! White Supremacists Want Your White Children

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is partially covered in another article about the same woman:

"The boys [are] consuming media with the 'people are too sensitive' and 'you can't say anything anymore!' themes," Schroeder tweeted. "For these boys, this will ring true — they're getting in trouble for 'nothing.' This narrative allows boys to shed the shame — replacing it w/anger."

To prevent kids from shutting you out, get curious she says. Meet them where they are. "Instead we inquired more: Where did you hear this? Where did you see this? Can you show me that?" she said. "When they showed us, the first thing we tried to do was say, 'I get why this seems funny on the surface. And I totally get why it's confusing.' "

Schroeder started talking to her sons, now 11 and 14, about the hate they were encountering online this past year. Laying that groundwork early, when they're younger and more open, she said, may help them think more critically about the media they consume later.

"I hope that we were able to build with our kids a foundation where they believe that when we say something is not great, maybe they disobey but deep inside there's a little voice that's going to say to them: you know, I should question why this seems so funny and yet I feel like I have to keep it a secret."

Schroeder isn't worried about white male youth themselves, she said, calling this generation "the most open-hearted potentially kindest critical thinking loving group of boys that I've ever seen," she said.

She's worried about how propaganda is being spread online — by weaponizing that benevolence.
How One Mom Talks To Her Sons About Hate On The Internet

Interesting, although it seems to portray the situation as if they're visiting these alt-right sites in a vacuum, like they're not being exposed much to other sites or ideas. Either that, or they're just gravitating towards the alt-right sites for some reason. I don't think this really tells the full story.

The article you linked brought me to another article: Opinion | Racists Are Recruiting. Watch Your White Sons.

One thing that is noticeable is the use of fear tactics and trying to stoke the fears of young white men, who may feel alienated and disaffected in today's society.

In each of these cases, the killers were white men with a history of extremism. The San Diego gunman, for instance, left a manifesto on 8chan also claiming responsibility for a mosque fire. And the San Diego and New Zealand gunmen posted hate-filled online manifestoes that included internet-culture references, such as references to memes and a notorious shout-out to a noteworthy YouTube personality. Both of them mentioned or alluded to the “white genocide” — which the Anti-Defamation League defines as the white-supremacist belief that the white race is “dying” because of growing nonwhite populations and “forced assimilation.”

There's also an apparent need to be part of a "heroic struggle":

According to Jackson Katz, author of “The Macho Paradox: Why Some Men Hurt Women and How All Men Can Help,” it’s not necessarily the ideology behind white nationalism, anti-feminism or the alt-right that initially appeals to young white men and boys as much as it is the sense of being part of a “heroic struggle.”

Participating in the alt-right community online “offers the seductive feeling of being part of a brotherhood, which in turn validates their manhood,” Dr. Katz says. YouTubers and participants in chat forums like 4chan, the defunct 8chan and Discord “regularly denigrate liberal or progressive white men as soft, emasculated ‘soy boys’ and insufficiently aggressive or right-wing white men as ‘cucks.’”

As to this last part, I would suggest that society sends mixed messages, particularly in the entertainment media. We idolize and worship the "action hero," while relegating the weaker males to subordinate, support roles. Progressivism might sometimes make the "action hero" a woman, but either way, the plot invariably involves excessive violence as an acceptable means towards conflict resolution. Even the "heroes" are forced to use violence because "there is no other way."

Also, due to our political and economic philosophy, which is worshiped all across the spectrum (except perhaps the far left), the result is a social Darwinist, dog-eat-dog, predatory society in which the worst aspects of human nature are encouraged and applauded.

There is also a sense of victimization which is being focused upon:

Inevitably, kids who have encountered these messages will mimic extremist talking points, and those of us who find these views repulsive may be tempted to yell at them, ground them or take away their devices in a futile attempt to keep them away from this propaganda.

The problem is, punitive responses often create a sense of shame that can feed a growing sense of anger — an anger the alt-right is eager to exploit.

What really hooks many white teenagers is the alt-right’s insistence that white men are under attack in America, the true victims of oppression. If your child has already been punished for his opinions, this message is especially resonant. They find a home for their rage, a brotherhood of guys like them, and that oh-so-alluring heroic struggle — and that’s how an extremist is born.

I've noticed this "punitive" approach as being one of the more common in society. The tactics of ridicule and punishment for having incorrect views seem rather widespread. Whether they get fired from their jobs, kicked out of school, banned from YouTube, or grounded by their parents - the message is clear that anyone who holds a certain viewpoint will be shamed or punished in some way. That, just by itself, reinforces the "victimization" angle.

There's a link to another article about the false victimization and its effects: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/aaronfreedman/false-victimhood-kills

However, it does suggest a possible solution:

But ultimately, the only way to beat false victimhood will be a politics that gets beyond the us–them dichotomies of identity. The renewal in the West of a vision for social and economic rights for all, built around class struggle, is encouraging. The best way to beat counterrevolution, after all, is with the real thing.

Identity politics appears to be the ultimate underlying problem here. One thing that I've noticed as a common tactic of the alt-right involves very little work on their part. Much of what they do is simply post videos and quotes from identitarians who seem to relish in the bashing and denigrating of "whites," "males," or "white males" just for its own sake. They (the alt-right) don't have to actually write propaganda on their own, since the other side is giving it to them on a silver platter.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What I see is some in a society that will always have a shadow to fight with, the chosen boogey man has different names and appears at different times but it's still the same fear.

34268641312_392b0048a7_b.jpg
OMG!
Hillary is over 500 years old?

Well, that explains the pant suits.
Tom

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It has to do with overreaction and fear no matter the cause or not,
So what overreaction is being indulged in here? Why is it an overreaction to speak to your kids if you believe they're being influenced by white supremacist propaganda?

it could be ANTIFA or BLM as well, what was your take on BLM marching down the street chanting "what do we want- dead cops- when do we want it- right now" should people be protected from open calls for the assassination of police officers or is that just freedom of speech?
Again, what on earth does any of this have to do with protecting kids from white supremacist propaganda? Do you or do you not acknowledge that there is a notable rise in white supremacy in the USA and that this DOES constitute a problem?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Identity politics appears to be the ultimate underlying problem here. One thing that I've noticed as a common tactic of the alt-right involves very little work on their part. Much of what they do is simply post videos and quotes from identitarians who seem to relish in the bashing and denigrating of "whites," "males," or "white males" just for its own sake. They (the alt-right) don't have to actually write propaganda on their own, since the other side is giving it to them on a silver platter.
While I agree with the rest of your post, I have to question this paragraph.

Can you give an example of the type of denigration of white males that the alt-right uses?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
While I agree with the rest of your post, I have to question this paragraph.

Can you give an example of the type of denigration of white males that the alt-right uses?

It should be pretty easy to find; I think we've all heard it at one point or another. I'm reluctant to post examples here since they tend to feed into the propaganda. (If you wish, I could send examples in a private message, or if you wish to google the phrase "denigration of white males" you'll find examples.)

The thing that the alt-right will point out is the double standard. They might point to an identitarian bashing white males, and then say "If a white male said this about [insert oppressed group here], then they'd be skewered in the media." They're trying to expose their opposition as hypocrites and frauds, and liberals and progressives are having a tough time defending it.

It's all so unnecessary, though. Identity politics was never a requirement to support a program of social justice and equality in this country. A lot of people confuse identity politics with egalitarianism and civil rights, but they're ideologically conflicted with each other.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It should be pretty easy to find; I think we've all heard it at one point or another. I'm reluctant to post examples here since they tend to feed into the propaganda. (If you wish, I could send examples in a private message, or if you wish to google the phrase "denigration of white males" you'll find examples.)
Could you just post the examples here? I'm sure people will get that we're only sharing them in the context of examination.

Shad

Veteran Member
Hey Kids! click the spoiler below:

A mothers warning: An upper middle class white woman just like you is warning parents that White Supremacists are needing children for their racist army. Scared of their own shadows and completely oblivious to the very real threats to children online we must reignite the lie that somehow there is a racist under every bed and a Nazi around every corner and they are coming for your children.

A mother's warning: If you have white teen sons, listen up ... - CNN

The brainwashed worrying about brainwashing. Hilarious

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Could you just post the examples here? I'm sure people will get that we're only sharing them in the context of examination.

Well, again, I really don't want to get into this aspect, but since you asked, here's an article which was pretty easy to find: Male bashing: America's favorite pastime

Consider the statement: "Not all women are annoying. Some are dead."

Or this: "Women have only two faults: Everything they say and everything they do."

Or this: "Men must be twice as good as women to be thought half as good. Fortunately this is not difficult."

Sarcasm such as this is obviously sexist, yet these same messages are OK if directed against men. How do I know? I copied these statements from greeting cards and message pads on display at the local supermarket, then reversed the gender to direct them against women. Nothing else was changed. Imagine the reaction if the following had been printed on a greeting card: "With affirmative action, whites must be twice as good as blacks to be thought half as good. Fortunately this is not difficult."

Should White Boys Still Be Allowed to Talk?

Today's young men are treated unfairly

https://nypost.com/2019/09/18/devine-elizabeth-warrens-war-on-men-is-an-insulting-losing-strategy/

As I said, these examples are relatively easy to find. It took me all of five minutes to find these, so I'm kind of surprised that you've never heard of any of this. (And these are pretty tame by comparison; there's a lot worse out there.)

In the context of the article written by the mother of two teenage sons, her sons have likely encountered it as well. She's trying to suggest that they're being enamored by propaganda, but what's more likely the case is that they came across a great deal of "white males are scum" talk before they even encountered any alt-right propaganda.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Well, again, I really don't want to get into this aspect, but since you asked, here's an article which was pretty easy to find: Male bashing: America's favorite pastime

Should White Boys Still Be Allowed to Talk?

Today's young men are treated unfairly

https://nypost.com/2019/09/18/devine-elizabeth-warrens-war-on-men-is-an-insulting-losing-strategy/

As I said, these examples are relatively easy to find. It took me all of five minutes to find these, so I'm kind of surprised that you've never heard of any of this. (And these are pretty tame by comparison; there's a lot worse out there.)
I'm asking specifically for instances used by the far-right as example of widespread identity politics being engaged in as justification for their position.

These articles don't exactly indicate that.

In the context of the article written by the mother of two teenage sons, her sons have likely encountered it as well. She's trying to suggest that they're being enamored by propaganda, but what's more likely the case is that they came across a great deal of "white males are scum" talk before they even encountered any alt-right propaganda.
And what do you base this on? How easy is is to casually come across "white males are scrum" talk? Because in all the of time I've spent speaking with, debating and operating withing social justice circles, I've never come across something that I would describe that way.

Your examples above are either fairly niche articles that you'd have to go out of your way to find, deliberately provocative clickbait, or just hot-takes on positions that hyperbolise and over-simplify real positions ("war on men" is obvious hyperbole), or just plain ridiculous (that Marty Nemko article is hilarious).

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm asking specifically for instances used by the far-right as example of widespread identity politics being engaged in as justification for their position.

These articles don't exactly indicate that.

I didn't want to quote directly from a far-right site. I think you're missing the point here.

And what do you base this on? How easy is is to casually come across "white males are scrum" talk? Because in all the of time I've spent speaking with, debating and operating withing social justice circles, I've never come across something that I would describe that way.

Never? Well, I can't speak to that. I don't know where you're from or what you do.

Your examples above are either fairly niche articles that you'd have to go out of your way to find, deliberately provocative clickbait, or just hot-takes on positions that hyperbolise and over-simplify real positions ("war on men" is obvious hyperbole).

As I said, it took all of five minutes, and one doesn't really have to go out of one's way to find it. I find your response here a bit strange, considering what you wrote in an earlier post:

Again, what on earth does any of this have to do with protecting kids from white supremacist propaganda? Do you or do you not acknowledge that there is a notable rise in white supremacy in the USA and that this DOES constitute a problem?

Are you acknowledging that there's a problem here, or is it all just "obvious hyperbole"?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I didn't want to quote directly from a far-right site. I think you're missing the point here.

Never? Well, I can't speak to that. I don't know where you're from or what you do.

As I said, it took all of five minutes, and one doesn't really have to go out of one's way to find it. I find your response here a bit strange, considering what you wrote in an earlier post:

Are you acknowledging that there's a problem here, or is it all just "obvious hyperbole"?
It's hyperbole to take a few scant articles with little to no influence and use them to justify a presumption that there is widespread "bashing of men" or "whites", and that this therefore puts the blame for white supremacist propaganda at the feet of any groups other than white supremacists.

I believe what actually happens is that right-wing propagandists intentionally exaggerate or distort or remove any nuance from these kinds of positions to paint a picture of "the left" as hating men and hating white people. It's just another arm of far-right propaganda to claim that there is any widespread prejudice against white men, and I've yet to see any indication of the prevalence of actual "white men are scum" arguments.

This thread is actually a perfect example. A woman noticed a problem with her sons reading and accepting right-wing propaganda, and to address this she sat with them sympathetically and talked through their concerns in hopes to address them and make them realize the propaganda for what it was. Yet, the OP couches this in terms of a red scare or witch hunt, and implies that the woman is hysterical. It's a perfect example of taking a mild (in fact, actually constructive and positive) position and distorting it into hysteria to portray people who recognize the very real concerns post by far-right ideology as irrational.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's hyperbole to take a few scant articles with little to no influence and use them to justify a presumption that there is widespread "bashing of men" or "whites", and that this therefore puts the blame for white supremacist propaganda at the feet of any groups other than white supremacists.

Yes, you're right that white supremacists are to blame for their own propaganda, but one could just as easily argue that their propaganda is "a few scant articles with little to no influence." That would be true as well.

But as I said, they're easy to find. I'm not going to put that much effort into finding them for you, since you obviously don't intend to argue in good faith.

I believe what actually happens is that right-wing propagandists intentionally exaggerate or distort or remove any nuance from these kinds of positions to paint a picture of "the left" as hating men and hating white people. It's just another arm of far-right propaganda to claim that there is any widespread prejudice against white men.

It should be noted that the articles I linked were not from right-wing propagandists. One of them was in the Baltimore Sun. It's not just a "few scant articles." This is a phenomenon which has been observable for decades. As for "intentionally exaggerating or distorting or removing any nuance from these kinds of positions," that may very well be true. But at least you're finally admitting that "these kinds of positions" actually exist. Before, you said you never heard of it at all.

I've yet to see any indication of the prevalence of actual "white men are scum" arguments.

Well, you suggested that there is a rise in white supremacy, which reflects the view of the OP article by the mother of two boys, who, according to her, are being targeted by white supremacist propaganda. Why do you think this is happening? What's going on in society today that could be identified as possible factors in this? Remember, we're not talking about old men here. We're talking about young kids, apparently going straight from Sesame Street to Stormfront, and nobody seems to know why.

What's your take on all of this?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Yes, you're right that white supremacists are to blame for their own propaganda, but one could just as easily argue that their propaganda is "a few scant articles with little to no influence." That would be true as well.
Not quite. In recent years, we have seen the mainstreaming of white supremacist views and talking point, as well as white-supremacist enablers on the more popular far right who wish to actively downplay the influence of white supremacist thinking. As much as people try to deny it, the Unite the Right Rally was a white supremacist rally.

But as I said, they're easy to find. I'm not going to put that much effort into finding them for you, since you obviously don't intend to argue in good faith.
That's not fair. The point I'm making is that the imagined "white men as scum" arguments are nowhere near the prevalence or significance that people build them up to be, and are often exaggerated or distorted by white supremacists (or white-supremacist-adjacent useful idiots like Alex Jones, SargonofAkkad or Stephen Crowder). The fact that you can type something into Google and find examples of it doesn't mean that it is prevalent.

It should be noted that the articles I linked were not from right-wing propagandists. One of them was in the Baltimore Sun.
It was just a nonsensical opinion piece.

It's not just a "few scant articles." This is a phenomenon which has been observable for decades.
Then please present the mainstream voices of the "white men are scum" mantra.

As for "intentionally exaggerating or distorting or removing any nuance from these kinds of positions," that may very well be true. But at least you're finally admitting that "these kinds of positions" actually exist. Before, you said you never heard of it at all.
That's not what I said. I said I never heard people genuinely claiming them in social justice circles, and doubt their prevalence.

Well, you suggested that there is a rise in white supremacy, which reflects the view of the OP article by the mother of two boys, who, according to her, are being targeted by white supremacist propaganda. Why do you think this is happening? What's going on in society today that could be identified as possible factors in this?
Reflexive reactions against what is seen as encroachments against the entitlements of white males via broader calls and acknowledgements of social ills and privilege, and right-wing voices preying on these reactions in order to foster resentment towards the concept of social justice and equality as being "anti-male" or "anti-white".

Remember, we're not talking about old men here. We're talking about young kids, apparently going straight from Sesame Street to Stormfront, and nobody seems to know why.
Mainstreaming of white nationalism and a wealth of voices on the issue being distorted by a social media empire which doesn't care about the accuracy of nuance of a statement as much as they care about the reflexive outrage they can generate by taking a single sentence somebody said as a broader "war on men" (that article you posted earlier being a prime example).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Not quite. In recent years, we have seen the mainstreaming of white supremacist views and talking point, as well as white-supremacist enablers on the more popular far right who wish to actively downplay the influence of white supremacist thinking. As much as people try to deny it, the Unite the Right Rally was a white supremacist rally.

Of course it was, but there really weren't that many white supremacists there. It was a handful of white supremacists who were vastly outnumbered by thousands of counter-protesters. Wouldn't this be confirmation that they have minimal influence over society?

At one time, white supremacism did have a prominent influence in America. It was certainly mainstream many decades ago. No one is denying that, but America has changed, and such views are considered unacceptable. You seem to be suggesting that public opinion is changing on that, moving back in the other direction.

That's not fair. The point I'm making is that the imagined "white men as scum" arguments are nowhere near the prevalence or significance that people build them up to be, and are often exaggerated or distorted by white supremacists (or white-supremacist-adjacent useful idiots like Alex Jones, SargonofAkkad or Stephen Crowder). The fact that you can type something into Google and find examples of it doesn't mean that it is prevalent.

How prevalent do they have to be? All I was saying is that these are the kinds of things that show up in the alt-right propaganda I've seen. We were talking about the strategies and tactics they use to recruit followers, and this is one of the things they point to. Regardless of how prevalent you think it is (or isn't), there are certainly enough examples to add fuel to their fire.

Moreover, you still seem to be missing the key point that none of it was ever necessary to begin with, regardless of its prevalence or context. Did you read the article I posted back in post #41? That's what launched us into this side discussion, but it started with my indicating my agreement with the final paragraph of that article (https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/aaronfreedman/false-victimhood-kills), which was this:

But ultimately, the only way to beat false victimhood will be a politics that gets beyond the us–them dichotomies of identity. The renewal in the West of a vision for social and economic rights for all, built around class struggle, is encouraging. The best way to beat counterrevolution, after all, is with the real thing.

It's the "us vs. them" mentality that appears to be escalating, and this is a matter of concern.

It was just a nonsensical opinion piece.

Maybe. The examples they used were from greeting cards.

Then please present the mainstream voices of the "white men are scum" mantra.

How many examples do you need? What exactly are you getting at here? Are you just trying to be contrary, or what? I really don't understand your take here.

That's not what I said. I said I never heard people genuinely claiming them in social justice circles, and doubt their prevalence.

We're not talking about "prevalence." We're talking about their "existence."

And as I said, if you search enough, you can find tons of examples. I'm not going to do it for you, as I'm sure that you're perfectly capable of doing it on your own (if you're genuinely interested in the topic). It is a thing. It does exist. Many others across the spectrum have made the same observations as me, so it's not as if I'm coming completely out of left field here.

I don't know what "social justice circles" you're talking about.

To be sure, I'm not saying the position is completely unjustified or comparing it any way to racism or white supremacism. All I'm saying that it just gives them a lot of fodder to work with, and as you mentioned earlier about nuance and context, when presented to a young and impressionable audience, they might not understand the nuance and context.

Reflexive reactions against what is seen as encroachments against the entitlements of white males via broader calls and acknowledgements of social ills and privilege, and right-wing voices preying on these reactions in order to foster resentment towards the concept of social justice and equality as being "anti-male" or "anti-white".

Well, the right-wing voices have been around all along. There have been periods in our history where they might have been louder than at other times, such as during the McCarthy era, the various Red Scares we've had, along with right-wingers associating the Civil Rights and Anti-War Movements with Communism. But after Nixon's downfall, the right-wing started to change their pitch somewhat. Wallace and his crowd were pretty much all washed up.

Reagan's focus was on capitalism, anti-communism, and a somewhat conservative rehabilitation of America's self-image in the post-Vietnam, post-Civil Rights era. Patriotism and jingoism became popular again. I'm not saying that Reagan was "far right" (although opinions may vary), but it seemed that they took a different direction.

In earlier times, such as when my grandparents were growing up, there wasn't much media out there to choose from. They had newspapers, and eventually radio and movies. TV much later, but they grew up in a society where their views were shaped and fixed by the influences around them. In my own time, I grew up mostly in the 1970s, when we were exposed to a lot more of a cacophony of conflicting influences, from TV, movies, as well as in school and the issues we discussed in class.

But we didn't have the internet and the vast array of choices and influences that's out there now. We were certainly exposed to different ideas, just as younger people are today, but it seems that they're gravitating towards the alt-right more these days? Even with all the millions of websites and choices out there, this is what they're choosing to do?

Mainstreaming of white nationalism and a wealth of voices on the issue being distorted by a social media empire which doesn't care about the accuracy of nuance of a statement as much as they care about the reflexive outrage they can generate by taking a single sentence somebody said as a broader "war on men" (that article you posted earlier being a prime example).

Again, this is propaganda ostensibly directed at children and young adults. Just like most young people, they might be trying to make sense of the world they live in (some of us never stop), and they're probably trying to find some personal meaning in their lives and place in the world. That's perfectly normal. Assuming that their parents didn't raise them to be white supremacists and that they didn't grow up in a racist family, what would cause them to gravitate towards the alt-right? Is their propaganda really that alluring? Even with a million other distractions out there?

Sure, I can guess that some of the older white men might still be pining for the days of George Wallace, but what about these younger kids? They've grown up in a completely different world, and this is what I would look at.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Of course it was, but there really weren't that many white supremacists there. It was a handful of white supremacists who were vastly outnumbered by thousands of counter-protesters. Wouldn't this be confirmation that they have minimal influence over society?
Not when, not that long ago, the very idea of a white supremacist rally in the first place was nigh-unthinkable. 250 people walked through the streets of Charlottesville with torches chanting "blood and soil", and the next day they were met with hundreds more protesters who professed not to be white supremacists, but were nevertheless happy to march in lockstep with Nazis and cheer the idea of a race war.

Even if we accept that the actual numbers of white supremacists is low, we cannot deny the influence that their rhetoric is having on the global political discourse. While it may not turn people into white supremacists, it does seem to have generated a lot of white-supremacist enablers. The popularity of far right blogs and mouthpieces right now who actively try to downplay white nationalist rhetoric, or the role white supremacy played in Charlottesville, is testament to that.

At one time, white supremacism did have a prominent influence in America. It was certainly mainstream many decades ago. No one is denying that, but America has changed, and such views are considered unacceptable. You seem to be suggesting that public opinion is changing on that, moving back in the other direction.
It is. Racism in America is on the rise, and we are seeing a dramatic increase in terrorist attacks from white nationalists. The president himself was nominated partially on a platform that was buoyed by racist rhetoric, and is still spouting white nationalist talking points and often attacking people for their race and national identity. It's easy to point to tattoo-bearing Nazis or hooded clansmen and say "Those people's views are unacceptable", but people are less keen to point the finger and the rhetoric used by the broader arm of the alt-right. Just because people like Stephen Crowder or Sargon try to present themselves as "logical centrists/conservatives", it's fairly easy to see how their talking points and platforms not only empower but actively justify white nationalist views. You don't have to wave a Nazi flag or wear a hood to further racist causes or arguments.

How prevalent do they have to be? All I was saying is that these are the kinds of things that show up in the alt-right propaganda I've seen. We were talking about the strategies and tactics they use to recruit followers, and this is one of the things they point to. Regardless of how prevalent you think it is (or isn't), there are certainly enough examples to add fuel to their fire.
I don't doubt that. What I doubt is that they are presenting it honestly - that's why I wanted to see the examples they used. In my experience, whenever there is a huge reaction against something somebody wrote regarding social justice (take, for example, the statement "black people can't be racist"), I usually look into where the original statement comes from and find out that there is either a significant amount of nuance that is being deliberately missed, or the whole thing is an outright fabrication. While groups like Antifa or BLM can use violent or disruptive tactics, when you actually look at the history of allegations and use of social media against them, you realize how much of it is pure fabrication created by far-right groups in an effort to drive people to their cause. Again, look on these forums. Look how many posters claim that Antifa are "the real fascists" or that BLM are "the real racists". These are views generated wholesale by ultra-nationalist organizations and white supremacist propaganda, enforced by a willful manipulation of facts, and they are not only all over the internet, they are present almost anywhere that a debate is being had about the subject.

Moreover, you still seem to be missing the key point that none of it was ever necessary to begin with, regardless of its prevalence or context. Did you read the article I posted back in post #41? That's what launched us into this side discussion, but it started with my indicating my agreement with the final paragraph of that article (https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/aaronfreedman/false-victimhood-kills), which was this:

It's the "us vs. them" mentality that appears to be escalating, and this is a matter of concern.
But that's not an attitude I see being generated by progressive of anti-fascist groups. It's the attitude generated by the far-right. Again, the mother in OP is not engaging in an "us vs them" mentality. She talked with her sons, acknowledged their concerns, and realized that the social currents driving their children towards white nationalist propaganda were an issue that needed to be addressed. You're correct when you say that there are broader social constructs at the heart of this, but I believe the solution lies not in blaming people with provocative views for driving people apart, but lie in deepening understanding of these views, of societal injustice, and not allowing ourselves to be whipped up into a frenzy by (willful or otherwise) manipulation or exaggeration of those views. When you actually understand what "white privilege" means, it ceases to have any divisive connotations and becomes something we can actually talk about and address. When you understand what Black Lives Matter actually represent, you stop calling them racists and start to examine the myriad social injustices that they are addressing. The truth is that the only people who fear such ideas or movements are the people who fear losing influence or power through the empowerment of voices other than their own, and they have a vested interest in convincing people to oppose them. This opposition doesn't start with white supremacists, it starts with your average white kid who is suddenly finding themselves "targeted" by rhetoric that they believe paints them as undeserving or immoral, when the reality is that we are currently in the midst of a movement that finally acknowledges that white men have held disproportionate power and influence, and this issue is finally being addressed.

How many examples do you need? What exactly are you getting at here? Are you just trying to be contrary, or what? I really don't understand your take here.
It's not about number - I can type practically any view I want into Google and find thousands of examples of it - it's about prevalence and influence. To say that there ARE views held by people that are prejudicial against white men is not a particularly compelling point to make. To claim that such views are prevalent enough that they are justifying white nationalist rhetoric or driving people away from progressive movements I think is simply wrong. I think there are organizations who are trying to make those views SEEM prevalent within progressive circles in order to denigrate them and make young men sympathetic to their cause, while the reality is that genuine prejudice against white men simply isn't a real issue. It's a phantom threat, generated by malign political ideologies in order to curtail progressive speech and prevent social change. The articles you've linked to are, in many ways, perfect examples of this. They draw equivalences between social attitudes towards men and women to try and generate the impression that men are unfairly treated, when it is blatantly still women who are the victims of social and institutional injustice. They equate the removal (or reduction) of white male privilege with prejudice against white men. They take single sentences used by politicans, free of any context, to declare that politician is declaring "war on men". They are exaggerations, manipulations, hyperbole, designed to generated a view that the people in power are the real victims, and need to be protected from the people who challenge them, who are the real sexists/racists/fascists. It's a fantasy.

We're not talking about "prevalence." We're talking about their "existence."
No, I'm talking about prevalence. I earlier asked just for the examples the white supremacists used because I doubt that they would either be genuine or actually indicate a particular prevalence of those views. You earlier said that there were identarians engaging in "denigrating white males", and all you've really presented to that effect so far are articles reacting against PERCEIVED denigration and one obscure opinion piece in a University newsletter. The point is that the white supremacists aren't being HANDED these views, they are essentially fabricating them; or, at least, fabricating their prevalence or influence and attaching them to movements that they do not belong to. The fact that a particular view exists is not noteworthy - the question is to what extent one side can be blamed for the other's representation of them. In this case, I don't think the white nationalists use "anti-male" or "anti-white" examples in good faith, and I believe they willfully misrepresent or distort progressive views to make them seem "anti-male" or "anti-white" in order to generate antipathy. It's not progressives driving young people to white nationalism, it's white nationalists lying and misrepresenting progressives to win over young people.

(TO BE CONTINUED...)

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Well, the right-wing voices have been around all along. There have been periods in our history where they might have been louder than at other times, such as during the McCarthy era, the various Red Scares we've had, along with right-wingers associating the Civil Rights and Anti-War Movements with Communism. But after Nixon's downfall, the right-wing started to change their pitch somewhat. Wallace and his crowd were pretty much all washed up.

Reagan's focus was on capitalism, anti-communism, and a somewhat conservative rehabilitation of America's self-image in the post-Vietnam, post-Civil Rights era. Patriotism and jingoism became popular again. I'm not saying that Reagan was "far right" (although opinions may vary), but it seemed that they took a different direction.

In earlier times, such as when my grandparents were growing up, there wasn't much media out there to choose from. They had newspapers, and eventually radio and movies. TV much later, but they grew up in a society where their views were shaped and fixed by the influences around them. In my own time, I grew up mostly in the 1970s, when we were exposed to a lot more of a cacophony of conflicting influences, from TV, movies, as well as in school and the issues we discussed in class.

But we didn't have the internet and the vast array of choices and influences that's out there now. We were certainly exposed to different ideas, just as younger people are today, but it seems that they're gravitating towards the alt-right more these days? Even with all the millions of websites and choices out there, this is what they're choosing to do?
I think part of the problem is that social media doesn't really lend itself to nuanced discussion or debate, rather to reflexive outrage, soundbites and the proliferation of memes. In many ways, the internet has generated one of the most effective propaganda tools the world has ever seen. Back in the day, when we had little to no choice in the media we consume, it was easy to see how this media could significantly influence people. Since the advent of the internet and access to countless sources of information, the movement has generally been away from this attitude and to more socially-conscious and progressive ideologies. But the increase in use and dependence of social media has recently given rise to something else: echo chambers. If the internet is our window into the world, then imagine opening that window and only seeing voices that tell you what you want to hear and what you want to believe. Imagine algorithms dictating that particular news sources are favoured by you, and so selectively only show you information from those sources. Imagine being surrounded by friends on social media parroting single lines spouted by politicians or activists, without nuance, and seeing your entire feed agreeing with or denigrating this specific view. If that's your window on the world, then you begin to perceive that the world agrees with you, and anyone outside of that particular bubble is some form of crazy person.

It's not quite as simple as people "choosing" to go to alt-right sources for their news, so much as alt-right sources being particularly good at influencing public opinion through means designed to dominate social media. Memes, "satire", clickbait articles, photoshop, these are all tools commonly used by many groups to influence people subtly into adopting their viewpoint, and while this is not exclusive to the alt-right or white nationalists, they have managed to successfully tap into a seething undercurrent of resentment felt by white males towards progressive groups and ideas that challenge their status in order to produce a new generation of adherents. Heck, it's practically how Trump got into power despite his racist rhetoric, nationalist talking points and blatant sexism.

Again, this is propaganda ostensibly directed at children and young adults. Just like most young people, they might be trying to make sense of the world they live in (some of us never stop), and they're probably trying to find some personal meaning in their lives and place in the world. That's perfectly normal. Assuming that their parents didn't raise them to be white supremacists and that they didn't grow up in a racist family, what would cause them to gravitate towards the alt-right? Is their propaganda really that alluring? Even with a million other distractions out there?

Sure, I can guess that some of the older white men might still be pining for the days of George Wallace, but what about these younger kids? They've grown up in a completely different world, and this is what I would look at.
I cover a lot of this above, and it's what the OP partially addresses. It's essentially taking a challenge of a privileged position as an attack on actual liberties. One of the best examples of this is the reaction against BLM. The most common phrase to come across from opponents of BLM (aside from, perhaps, the Blue Lives Matter movement, although that is potentially far more insidious) is the argument that "All Lives Matter". This was a deliberate attempt to take what BLM were actually trying to draw attention to (the fact that black people are unfairly targeted by police and are disproportionately the victims of police violence) and present it instead as an exclusionary, blacks-only movement elevating black lives over the lives of everyone else. It was an attempt to silence a minority by claiming that they were somehow attempting to usurp or undermine the rights of the majority, when that was never the point. We also see it in some of the articles you posted, in which reductions in influence or power of white males are taken not as an addressing of genuine imbalances that disproportionately negatively impact minorities, but as an attack on white males in general.

To someone who perhaps isn't educated on social injustice, and is not aware of the everyday challenges faced by minorities, it is not hard to imagine such a reaction feeling justified. And which group is most likely not to understand or seek out opinions or experiences of minorities and women? White men. This isn't because of an in-built prejudice or ignorance, but simple psychology. If you are an individual born unwittingly into a position of privilege, your mind automatically defaults to you that this is merely the status quo, and the way things should be. So when somebody comes along and tells you "actually, you have certain unfair advantages over other groups, and I believe this should be challenged", your natural reaction is to reject this. Nobody likes to be told that, perhaps, the lifestyle or position they hold in society isn't entirely fairly earned, and it can be hard to recognize that if you've grown to accept that position as simply the way things are. You see the natural order as fair, and any attempt to change that order as necessarily "unfair".

We saw it in the reaction against the civil rights movement. The people who protested black people being allowed into whites only schools and onto whites only buses didn't protest under the banner of the KKK, Nazis or white supremacy. More often, you would see the slogan "Whites have rights too". (SOURCES: 'whites Have Rights Too' Shirt Photograph by Underwood Archives, http://callisto.ggsrv.com/imgsrv/FastFetch/UBER2/adec_0001_0008_0_img1115). These people didn't see themselves as overtly racist, but they saw a change to social order as an attack on themselves as a group. To share their position or privilege with a minority group was seen as a reduction of their rights, or an infringement upon them, because all they knew was that the way things had been their whole life - the accepted status quo and mutually agreed upon level of equality that they and society told them was the right amount - was being amended to allow other people a portion of their rights, and to share spaces that they had never previously shared.

In my opinion, we are seeing a reprise of this kind of attitude, only now it is not about the legality of institutionalized racism, and about the acknowledgement of social and societal injustice. We find white men's position challenged, and a lot of white men are taking it not as a movement towards sharing influence and power, but merely a reduction of their rights and freedoms.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!