• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obese kids

Riders

When I was a kid I did not become obese till I was 16. I had junk food. Though my mom never allowed me to binge and overeat still we did eat junk food.
But when I was kid, I had a tire swing outside, I liked tumbling, doing cartwheels the splits that type of thing, I was into anything that was sport's or play outside, I went roller-skating a lot, walking swimming all of it.

I was no good at sports, but I loved getting outside and playing. Kids these days have Xboxes video games, cable computers and cell phones. So, kids are a lot more obese and don't play as much. The elementary schools don't get to have gym as much either state don't have the money. So, what is the solution for obese kids?
Are electronics playing a role in this?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, electronics probably play a role here. More than just the kids being on them, too. Like @SalixIncendium has suggested, parents being willing to set aside the electronics and engage in activities with the kids would help.

I also think a faster pace of life has increased obesity in all ages. Folks tend to be on the go more, making fast food and restaurants a common meal choice. I also think fewer and fewer are learning how to prepare food past what comes preboxed and ready to heat. Easy prepare food tends to be pretty fattening.

Audie

Veteran Member
Yeah, electronics probably play a role here. More than just the kids being on them, too. Like @SalixIncendium has suggested, parents being willing to set aside the electronics and engage in activities with the kids would help.

I also think a faster pace of life has increased obesity in all ages. Folks tend to be on the go more, making fast food and restaurants a common meal choice. I also think fewer and fewer are learning how to prepare food past what comes preboxed and ready to heat. Easy prepare food tends to be pretty fattening.
Try for a higher pressure, faster pace of life than
in Hong Kong.
It sure does not cause obesity here.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
You can find obese people in Hong Kong.

They are American tourists.

American diet is insane .

Try for a higher pressure, faster pace of life than
in Hong Kong.
It sure does not cause obesity here.
I agree, what is 'standard' American fare is extremely fatty... and expensive.

Is it more common in Hong Kong to prepare one's meals, or is most stuff bought on the go?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
My little Monkey is likely to be anything but obese. She works out with Mom…

1697484504465.jpeg

Last edited:

Orbit

I'm a planet
Poverty is a big part of it. I grew up poor in the 70s, and the cheapest food available (hamburger, noodles) was fatty. And my mom, who was working two jobs and just too tired to cook would get 49 cent tacos from Taco Bell because it was a cheap and easy way to feed the kids, so fast food entered the equation. We learned to like fatty foods because that is what we were given; and we were given that because it was cheap. American food culture is awful.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Ha! Children know best what's good for them.
Great! I've got a son that'll be ecstatic to hear he's right and that its perfectly healthy to streak down the street in chilly weather, and that its really not the big deal I thought it was if he busts out random windows. Broken glass is no biggie.

Meanwhile, the 4 year old is bouncing off the walls at the suggestion he'll never have to eat anything but Oreos ever again!

syo

Great! I've got a son that'll be ecstatic to hear he's right and that its perfectly healthy to streak down the street in chilly weather, and that its really not the big deal I thought it was if he busts out random windows. Broken glass is no biggie.

Meanwhile, the 4 year old is bouncing off the walls at the suggestion he'll never have to eat anything but Oreos ever again!
Hell yeah!

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
My younger sister got to be quite obese, getting gastric bypass when she went over 300lbs.

She blames mom for her obesity, half joking, half not. She was a twig of a kid until mom started working when she was around 10ish. Our dad was a trucker, and was gone for days at a time, and Mom would be home for just a bit after work, and then was off to socialize. Because of that, Mom bought tons of convenience food that we could make ourselves. Ramen. Little Debbie. Pasta Roni. Frozen pizza. I think I dodged the obesity bullet my sisters took because I went vegetarian, and then vegan(mom provided vegan microwave meals for me, though I learned to cook, and she'd buy me the ingredients I asked for).

My sister also complained that because she was bored all the time, she'd eat. And eat. And eat. She wasn't allowed to go anywhere if Mom was gone, so there really wasn't much to do. So she'd park it in front of the TV with a box of snack cakes...

So yeah, I do believe a parent's guidance and involvement can be important here.

Vee

Premium Member
When I was a kid I did not become obese till I was 16. I had junk food. Though my mom never allowed me to binge and overeat still we did eat junk food.
But when I was kid, I had a tire swing outside, I liked tumbling, doing cartwheels the splits that type of thing, I was into anything that was sport's or play outside, I went roller-skating a lot, walking swimming all of it.

I was no good at sports, but I loved getting outside and playing. Kids these days have Xboxes video games, cable computers and cell phones. So, kids are a lot more obese and don't play as much. The elementary schools don't get to have gym as much either state don't have the money. So, what is the solution for obese kids?

The first and most important thing to do is fix what is being done to the food. People need to be able to eat real food, not ultra processed rubbish. Exercise and good rest are very important too, but until the food issue had been fixed, nothing else will be enough. You can't outrun a bad diet and the biggest issue with obesity is ultra processed sugar packed food.

exchemist

Veteran Member

So they do in other countries. It's the Coca Cola soft drink culture and the processed food full of high fructose corn syrup that do most of the damage.

Ban Colas and learn to cook, properly, would be my advice to US parents. And some exercise, sure.