• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama creates two nature preserves

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
President Barack Obama has unilaterally designated two new "national monument" nature preserves in the western US states of Nevada and Utah.

The Bears Ears National Monument and the Gold Butte National Monument will protect areas rich in Native American artifacts from energy drilling.

Fantastic news! Of course, this has to be a partisan issue, right? Republicans seem to think so:

Some Republicans in those states are opposed to the move and say it amounts to a federal land-grab.

To conclude:

The Hawaiian-born president has protected more land and water acreage than any other US president.

I think this is a great legacy to leave. Great news as we head into the new year.

Source.

esmith

Veteran Member
Since you don't live out here in the West I'm sure you do. We on the other hand think it is another land grabbing move by a person who is throwing a temper tantrum over the election and placating the tree-hugging idiots.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Since you don't live out here in the West I'm sure you do. We on the other hand think it is another land grabbing move by a person who is throwing a temper tantrum over the election and placating the tree-hugging idiots.

I'm as far west as you can get without getting wet and I applaud this move. I'd much rather see a prez placating the tree hugging idiots than the fracking, drilling, or strip mining idiots.

habiru

Fantastic news! Of course, this has to be a partisan issue, right? Republicans seem to think so:

To conclude:

I think this is a great legacy to leave. Great news as we head into the new year.

Source.
Well, I guess he did not want to go against the incident that is going on at Standing Rock, because of the Establishment that is paying for his retirement fund. But to make himself look good, he has chosen a lighter controversial problem. But the North Dakota pipeline should not go through the lakes. They should detour it around to make sure that it doesn't cause any problems with the environment. If an earthquake happens in that area, and if the pipeline cracks, then there will be another big problem like what British Petroleum have had in the past. It might cost a few bucks to reroute the pipeline, but it will cost even more if the pipeline has broken and spill oil into the lake. And so it is well worth the investment to reroute it.

But Obama is trying to regain the trust of Bernie's bros. And so when the next election year comes around, that they will remember what he has done for them.

barack-obama-looking-at-womans-butt.jpg

th

th
th

Jeremiah 13:23 Can an Ethiopian change his skin or a leopard its spots? Neither can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
What, exactly, do you dislike about this? Or is this just a temper tantrum of your own because Obama did something? If I were a betting man, I would bet the latter.

Timothy Bryce

I'm as far west as you can get without getting wet and I applaud this move. I'd much rather see a prez placating the tree hugging idiots than the fracking, drilling, or strip mining idiots.

Yeah, sadly I think this is probably going to be a too little, too late move right at the buzzer by Obama's admin before Trump's staff begins to wreak some havoc. Trump's appointments so far are really troubling when considering the effect they'll have on the environment.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
[QUOTE="esmith, post: 5011236, member: 24621]Since you don't live out here in the West I'm sure you do. We on the other hand think it is another land grabbing move by a person who is throwing a temper tantrum over the election and placating the tree-hugging idiots.[/QUOTE]
You assume the land is there for human use and economic benefit, that we have a right to use it for anything we please.
I'd also note that humans don't have a very good record of land stewardship. Without some disinterested authority taking the long view, locals tend to plunder and pollute, for short term profit.

"Land grab?" What does that mean? It seems to me federal restrictions are usually put in place in place to prevent grabbing.

"Tree hugging idiots?" Do you oppose protecting what little unspoiled land we have left?
Why do you call tree-huggers idiots? Aren't they the ones trying to protect the planet we depend on from our own short-sightedness?

Last edited:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I live in OR please don't speak for me

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If I read you correctly, this would make you "west coast"....not in the real "west".
So instead of riding the range punch'n cows, you're sip'n wine & eat'n brie while
you discuss feelings with metrosexual lifestyle consultants in your stylish yurt.
But I don't judge you.

tytlyf

Not Religious
If I read you correctly, this would make you "west coast"....not in the real "west".
So instead of riding the range punch'n cows, you're sip'n wine & eat'n brie while
you discuss feelings with metrosexual lifestyle consultants in your stylish yurt.
But I don't judge you.
It takes skills and sacrifice to get ahead in life. An education doesn't hurt either.