• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama 2012

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Dawg, you said it best when you said the president has no control of the economy.....
This is a common view, but I don't buy it. Presidents have enormous power to do things which greatly influence the economy, eg,
waging continual wars, vetoing bills, the bully pulpit, administrative rules, regulations, Supreme Court appointments (responsible
for the juggernaut which the interstate commerce clause has become). Bush & Obama were & still are an economic disaster.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
This is a common view, but I don't buy it. Presidents have enormous power to do things which greatly influence the economy, eg,
waging continual wars, vetoing bills, the bully pulpit, administrative rules, regulations, Supreme Court appointments (responsible
for the juggernaut which the interstate commerce clause has become). Bush & Obama were & still are an economic disaster.

I don't think the president has no control at all over the economy, but it's really congress that decides the big issues. The president's main power is to appoint people to federal offices (which can only exist by permission of congress and get their funding from congress) and veto stuff. If congress can't get its act together, the president can't do a whole lot. That's one of the reasons FDR became such a great president - his supporters controlled congress.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think the president has no control at all over the economy, but it's really congress that decides the big issues. The president's main power is to appoint people to federal offices (which can only exist by permission of congress and get their funding from congress) and veto stuff. If congress can't get its act together, the president can't do a whole lot. That's one of the reasons FDR became such a great president - his supporters controlled congress.
Do you think Bush had a big influence on starting the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan?
Does Obama influence our continued expensive presence there?
Would Obamacare exist if he hadn't pushed it?

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Do you think Bush had a big influence on starting the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan?

Since the 1960s or so, the president has had a lot of influence in the area of warfare that he legally doesn't actually have. However, congress could have stopped Bush (and Obama) if they wanted to; they just chose not to, in the case of the wars (they were pretty divided on the healthcare, though, amazingly. I guess providing healthcare to people is more controversial than invading random countries).

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I do. When Dubya campaigned the first time, I warned everyone that were he elected, he'd invade Iraq. When he won (sorta), I knew it was a done deal. Everyone said I was being ridiculous, but time proved me right.

I don't think Afghanistan was his doing, though.

I think Obama inherited one hell of a mess that he's trying to clean up as best he can.

Um, what?

I'm jumping in at the end... what does Obamacare have to do with the current conflicts?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
We cannot have Obama again, really.

I'm deeply in love with Ron Paul, he planned on sending our troops back because he thinks we are just being d*cks to the Arabs, and that is, in fact, why we are the most hated country, because we need to learn to mind our own business.

Sure 9/11 killed 30,000 people... but we killed way more Arabs, isn't it time to stop?

Obama claimed he thought so, in fact he said he'd get them out in two years, did he? No. There are a lot there, even yet, four years.

Ron Paul, he kept the same opinion on it for years, he predicted the fall of economy, that's why I think he's trustworthy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We cannot have Obama again, really.
I'm deeply in love with Ron Paul, he planned on sending our troops back because he thinks we are just being d*cks to the Arabs, and that is, in fact, why we are the most hated country, because we need to learn to mind our own business.
Sure 9/11 killed 30,000 people... but we killed way more Arabs, isn't it time to stop?
Obama claimed he thought so, in fact he said he'd get them out in two years, did he? No. There are a lot there, even yet, four years.
Ron Paul, he kept the same opinion on it for years, he predicted the fall of economy, that's why I think he's trustworthy.
What a revolting view.
He's doomed to lose.

The Sum of Awe

We already have President Obama again. No one will vote for the Republicans this November. Especially moderates.

The GOP has shot themselves in the foot this year.

I agree many GOP members have, but I don't think Ron Paul has.

I don't understand how Ron Paul is losing when everyone supports his ideas, all of the youtube videos supporting him or his speeches on youtube have thousands of likes, very few dislikes. Everyone talks about him.

I believe something is flawed in the votes, either that or the Ron Paul supporters are too lazy to vote.

Obama, definitely took down his chance, but people ignore his bad side, which is much wider than his good side.

Why is Obama the only democrat that anyone really cares about in the democratic primaries? If you listened to them all together Obama's ignorance will be extended because of the others.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I agree many GOP members have, but I don't think Ron Paul has.

I don't understand how Ron Paul is losing when everyone supports his ideas, all of the youtube videos supporting him or his speeches on youtube have thousands of likes, very few dislikes. Everyone talks about him.

I believe something is flawed in the votes, either that or the Ron Paul supporters are too lazy to vote.

Ron Paul has a concentrated and energized support based, a large portion of which are internet users. However, those thousands of youtube likes translate only into thousands of votes, which isn't enough to beat the millions behind other candidates.
Plus, there's a self-reinforcing sentiment that he "can't win."

Why is Obama the only democrat that anyone really cares about in the democratic primaries? If you listened to them all together Obama's ignorance will be extended because of the others.

It's not normal for incumbents to face a strong primary challenge. Those that did, such as Jimmy Carter (vs Ted Kennedy) and George Bush Senior (vs Pat Buchanan), all lost.

The Sum of Awe

Ron Paul has a concentrated and energized support based, a large portion of which are internet users. However, those thousands of youtube likes translate only into thousands of votes, which isn't enough to beat the millions behind other candidates.
Plus, there's a self-reinforcing sentiment that he "can't win."

Why can't he win, besides for the statistics?

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Why can't he win, besides for the statistics?

Because people think for whatever reason that he can't win, so they don't vote for him, thus he loses, and they conclude that they were right and decide to continue to not vote for him. I pretty much stated that point-blank, didn't I?