• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Governor bans Travel to NC, Really?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Why? The law would only apply to transgendered people, not anyone else.

But, again, here's the problem I can dress as a woman and call myself transgendered. This, if the law were rescinded, would allow me access to any women's bathroom in the state, if not the country. Do you think it's right to jeopardize the many for the simple convenience of the few?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In itself, this gesture will have relatively little impact on NC, but it might lead others to do the same.
I think it sends a positive message about protection of employees: all employees - including transgender employees - are entitled to a respectful working environment, including when travelling for work.

David1967

Premium Member
I guess transgendered restrooms are not an option.
And how would you label it? Would there be one for previously female and another for previously male? I don't see an option that pleases everyone in the near future.

Draka

Wonder Woman
As to the OP, the right thing to do.

As to the subject in general of transgender people using certain restrooms, they should use the restroom of the gender they identify as. Damn, people just want to pee already. Let them.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
As to the OP, the right thing to do.

As to the subject in general of transgender people using certain restrooms, they should use the restroom of the gender they identify as. Damn, people just want to pee already. Let them.

Don't ask, don't tell kinda thingy?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But, again, here's the problem I can dress as a woman and call myself transgendered. This, if the law were rescinded, would allow me access to any women's bathroom in the state, if not the country. Do you think it's right to jeopardize the many for the simple convenience of the few?
If letting you into women's washrooms would jeopardize women, then I'd suggest that you have underlying issues that need addressing that aren't solved just by a rule keeping you out.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Yes

I just have not heard of that being much of an issue with the current system. Not too many perverts/rapists even want to dress up as women in public.
Neither have I, which is why I see no problem with allowing transgendered folk to use the restroom of the gender they identify with.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
But, again, here's the problem I can dress as a woman and call myself transgendered.
Fine, go right ahead.

This, if the law were rescinded, would allow me access to any women's bathroom in the state, if not the country.
Not if you're not transgendered. The law only applies to real transgendered folk, not those pretending to be. Want to get sent to the clink, then dress up as a female and start using female restrooms. Using transgenderism as an alibi will take far more effort to prove than I think you'd care to go through.

Do you think it's right to jeopardize the many for the simple convenience of the few?
I fail to see the jeopardy. As I've said before; people have always had the ability dress up as the opposite sex and pass themselves of as such. Allowing transgendered people into these rest rooms isn't going to change that.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Don't ask, don't tell kinda thingy?
Well, do you make a habit of asking people in the restroom what genitals they have or use to have? And do you make a point of telling others in the restroom what genitals you have and whether or not you were born with them? Why would you think it should be any different in regards to transgenders?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I think male deviants in the ladies room is the greater concern. Males are stronger and more sexually aggressive in general.
Well, you might want to tell that to Chrissy Lee Pollis, a trans woman who was beaten into a seizure by some non-trans women at a McDonalds a few years ago. Apparently she missed the memo about her "male strength", "aggressive sexual deviancy" and the frailness of those poor, defenseless non-trans women. :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beating_of_Chrissy_Lee_Polis

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So when someone with a beard uses the women's room (as another thread here pointed out), that's perfectly OK since the individual was born with a female body. Or if someone who looks female walks into the men's room, that's perfectly OK and the resulting interaction with the guys is no problem because the person was born with male genitalia.

The answer is clearly to station attendants in front of each public bathroom in America and require that anyone using that bathroom display their genitalia to demonstrate that they have the right "equipment" to use that bathroom. Just think of the job creating potential.

Skwim

Veteran Member
So when someone with a beard uses the women's room (as another thread here pointed out), that's perfectly OK since the individual was born with a female body. Or if someone who looks female walks into the men's room, that's perfectly OK and the resulting interaction with the guys is no problem because the person was born with male genitalia.

The answer is clearly to station attendants in front of each public bathroom in America and require that anyone using that bathroom display their genitalia to demonstrate that they have the right "equipment" to use that bathroom. Just think of the job creating potential.
FYI, It doesn't take a change in genitalia to be transgendered.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

We need a RSA (Restroom Safety Administration) now! Full body scans and pat downs for all before you can pee, crap, wash your hands or check your makeup! *starts a petition*

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If letting you into women's washrooms would jeopardize women, then I'd suggest that you have underlying issues that need addressing that aren't solved just by a rule keeping you out.
Mmhmm. I have definitely noticed a theme in these discussions. You have a bunch of (typically) cis men who are opposed to (mostly) trans women using the women's restroom and they bring up all kinds of male demonization tropes. Fear mongering about male sexual perversity, male violence against women, etc. It really says more about them than it does about trans women or anyone else. They are demonizing their own sex/gender. Maybe they're the ones who wouldn't be able to control themselves in a women's room and they're just projecting it onto others. Maybe they need therapy.

Because I don't know about some of you in these discussions, but I'm a trans guy and I'm attracted to both men and women. I've used both the men's and the women's room during my life. I don't go peeking at other people, harassing people or bothering people at all in the restroom. I don't know what the hell some of you think goes on in restrooms. Are you afraid of gay men, lesbians or bisexuals using the restroom, too? If not, why are trans people singled out? Do you only go to the restroom at sex clubs or cruising spots where people are ****ing in them? Wtf. Grow up.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
According to to multiple News sites and the governor himself Andrew Cuomo bans tax payer funded trips to the state North Carolina from New York State over "anti LGBT protection laws". cities San Francisco and Seattle has also done the same thing on Monday. What do you think? I personally think this is highly unconstitutional and bull****, as I am from North Carolina but moved to New York State and have been living here for about three years now. This to me is also hypocritical, as this new law in NC prevents Transgenders to use the restrooms of the gender they "choose" instead of the bathrooms of their birth genders. What do you guys think? Is this "protest" the right thing to do or is this total bull****?

Sources:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-state-travel-to-north-carolina-over-lgbt-law
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...l-travel-to-nc-due-to-anti-discrimination-law
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-bans-non-essential-state-travel-north-carolina

It is mostly symbolic and for the most part only effects civil servants in the state of NY. It does not stop anyone from going to or moving to NC. It only stops the use of State Government money for state employees...and for that matter I am not sure how much of a ban it is in that case either, because I am willing to bet if a legislator or assemblyman wanted to take a trip to NC for any reason "government reason" (Like inspecting sand quality on Victory beach) that the state would pay for it..... you can't expect a legislator or assemblyman to pay out of pocket for such important research.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Fine, go right ahead.

Not if you're not transgendered. The law only applies to real transgendered folk, not those pretending to be. Want to get sent to the clink, then dress up as a female and start using female restrooms. Using transgenderism as an alibi will take far more effort to prove than I think you'd care to go through.

I fail to see the jeopardy. As I've said before; people have always had the ability dress up as the opposite sex and pass themselves of as such. Allowing transgendered people into these rest rooms isn't going to change that.

Well, do you make a habit of asking people in the restroom what genitals they have or use to have? And do you make a point of telling others in the restroom what genitals you have and whether or not you were born with them? Why would you think it should be any different in regards to transgenders?

You guys are totally making my point. If I say I am transgendered (or even pre-transgendered) who'll be able to prove I'm not? Who can stop me from entering the public female bathroom at will?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You guys are totally making my point. If I say I am transgendered (or even pre-transgendered) who'll be able to prove I'm not? Who can stop me from entering the public female bathroom at will?
You know that you already can, right? They're just like the men's rooms that way: if there's more than one toilet, there's usually no lock on the door. A lot of them don't even have doors; just a divider wall-thing to stop people looking in from the hall.