• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

norse cosmology

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
If the flood of Atlantis was supposed to be the very first great flood then presumably that would be the flooding of niflheim that killed Ymir and the ice giants.

Odin and his brothers killed Ymir.

Syncretism is not helping your case.

MrOmega

you are thinking of Chronos not cronus.

the sky is underground. Its the firmament.
Its space time.
It's the foundation for our whole existence.

Also, what appeared to be different gods are in fact the same god at different points in his life.

Yes.... wiki does say they should not be confused it also mentions this... like you say, same gods at different points perhaps.

Cronus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

During antiquity, Cronus was occasionally interpreted as Chronos, the personification of time;[8] according to Plutarch the Greeks believed that Cronus was an allegorical name for Chronos.[9] During the Renaissance, the identification of Cronus and Chronos gave rise to "Father Time" wielding the harvesting scythe.

All I am saying is there are plenty of Gods which are shared across cultures, egyptian, greek, norse, roman, and the HyperBoreas fits in very nicely with sky gods.

Hyper -> Beyond
Boreas -> Borealis

As the other commenter mentioned that the religions of Greece and Egypt are seperate, even though there was an occupation at points in time, well, here is an interesting video which might change thier mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n66vbroDcRU

Last edited:

granpa

the aesir are many-eyed.
os - many
ir - eye (iris)

osiris = ouranos

even though the vanir (Venusians, sons of Venus, olympians) arent born with many eyes they can become aesir (sons of Eros) later in life.
I suppose that in theory anyone can become many-eyed or many-handed like the jotunn (100-handers)

evidently the many-eyed aesir dont get along well with the 100-handers that is why they had to built midgard to separate themselves.

In general, the Olympians are the gods who live on Mount Olympus, all of them somehow related to the supreme god Zeus. More specifically, the Twelve Olympians are the major deities of the Greek pantheon: Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Athena, Hestia, Apollo, Artemis, Ares, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, and Hermes

Upis, Goddess of Lydia, also called Artemis Ephesia

in addition to the many eyed and many handed ones there are also the many breasted amazons
preface "a-", meaning "all", followed by "mazos", meaning "breast".

its tempting to see a connection with Mazda
http://religion.wikia.com/wiki/Ahura_Mazda

Ahura Mazda (Ahura Mazdā) is the Avestan language name for a divinity exalted by Zoroaster as the one uncreated Creator.

Last edited:

granpa

if atlantis is niflheim then it should be in the north

black sea perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_theory

The Black Sea deluge is a hypothesized catastrophic rise in the level of the Black Sea circa 5600 BC due to waters from the Mediterranean Sea breaching a sill in the Bosporus Strait

According to a study by Giosan et al. the level in the Black Sea before the marine reconnection was 30 m below present sea level, rather than the 80 m, or lower, of the catastrophe theories. If the flood occurred at all, the sea level increase and the flooded area during the reconnection were significantly smaller than previously proposed. It also occurred earlier than initially surmised, ca. 7400 BC, rather than the originally proposed 5600 BC

In a series of expeditions, a team of marine archaeologists led by Robert Ballard identified what appeared to be ancient shorelines, freshwater snail shells, drowned river valleys, tool-worked timbers, and man-made structures in roughly 100 metres (330 ft) of water off the Black Sea coast of modern Turkey. Although radiocarbon dating of freshwater mollusc remains indicated an age of about 7,500 years, radiocarbon dating in freshwater molluscs in particular can be inaccurate. Such inaccuracies, however, are always in the direction of objects appearing older than they actually are (containing less 14C than expected), so the time given is a maximum age of a freshwater shoreline at that location

http://religion.wikia.com/wiki/Atlantis

In Plato's account, Atlantis was a naval power lying "in front of the Pillars of Hercules" that conquered many parts of Western Europe and Africa 9,000 years before the time of Solon, or approximately 9600 BCE. After a failed attempt to invade Athens, Atlantis sank into the ocean "in a single day and night of misfortune".

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'm sure you meant to say "the ONLY method of discerning historical and mythological fact"

Nope. It's the worst.

The only reliable method is comparative mythology, cultural anthropology and history, archeology, comparative literature, etc.

All these must be taken into account.

Reading between the lines didn't work in the 19th century, so there's no reason to think it'll work in the 21st.

granpa

The only reliable method is comparative mythology, cultural anthropology and history, archeology, comparative literature, etc.

all of which REQUIRE reading between the lines unless you are a literalist which is the worst way to understand mythology.

granpa

to know that its re-envisioning you would first have to know what the ancients envisioned.
If I can envision it then why do you assume that the ancients couldn't have envisioned it?

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
to know that its re-envisioning you would first have to know what the ancients envisioned.
If I can envision it then why do you assume that the ancients couldn't have envisioned it?

Because the ancient Norse were not well-versed in Hebrew mythology.

granpa

I'm not sure what Hebrew mythology you are referring to but I see now why you are being so argumentative.
I take it you are an atheist

granpa

LOL. its clear to me that the real reason you are arguing is because you are deathly afraid that at any moment I am going to say
AHA this proves the biblical flood story
and that scares you to death. LOL.