• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

norse cosmology

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The mythologies were created to educate the uneducated.

No they weren't.

The idea that you have to be a Harvard educated scholar to understand the myths is BS.
Yes it is. I have no college degree, and am not a scholar by any stretch of the word.

But I do know how to do proper research.

They were deliberately designed to be understandable.
No they weren't.

Besides, even if they were, they would have been designed by people who didn't speak English. The meaning of the words would have been immediately obvious to the original hearers, and for the record, virtually no Celt or German could speak Greek, and so would have been unaware of Greek mythology until the North was thoroughly Christianized.

Last edited:

granpa

the connection between the idea of "lifting up" and the idea of "bearing children" is fruit.
The tree "bears" fruit.

granpa

bear (v.) Old English beran "to bear, bring; bring forth, produce; to endure, sustain; to wear" (class IV strong verb; past tense bær, past participle boren), from Proto-Germanic *beranan (cf. Old Saxon beran, Old Frisian bera, Old High German beran, German gebären, Old Norse bera, Gothic bairan "to carry, bear, give birth to"), from PIE root *bher- (1) meaning both "give birth" (though only English and German strongly retain this sense, and Russian has beremennaya "pregnant") and "carry a burden, bring" (see infer).

bear (n.) Old English bera "bear," from Proto-Germanic *beron, literally "the brown (one)"

ber-on would mean bearer-great not brown one.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?strongs=H6509

פָּרָה

to bear fruit, be fruitful, branch off
  1. (Qal) to bear fruit, be fruitful

2. (Hiphil)
    1. to cause to bear fruit
    2. to make fruitful
    3. to show fruitfulness, bear fruit

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
bear (v.) Old English beran "to bear, bring; bring forth, produce; to endure, sustain; to wear" (class IV strong verb; past tense bær, past participle boren), from Proto-Germanic *beranan (cf. Old Saxon beran, Old Frisian bera, Old High German beran, German gebären, Old Norse bera, Gothic bairan "to carry, bear, give birth to"), from PIE root *bher- (1) meaning both "give birth" (though only English and German strongly retain this sense, and Russian has beremennaya "pregnant") and "carry a burden, bring" (see infer).

bear (n.) Old English bera "bear," from Proto-Germanic *beron, literally "the brown (one)"

Hebrew Lexicon :: H6509 (KJV)

פָּרָה

2. (Hiphil)
    2. to make fruitful

And what does this have to do with anything?

granpa

well lets see

buri and borr both have names that presumably mean bear.
bears have strong hands

Bear: Old English bera "bear," from Proto-Germanic *beron, literally "the brown (one)" (cf. Old Norse björn, Middle Dutch bere, Dutch beer, Old High German bero, German Bär), from PIE *bher- (3) "bright, brown"
Online Etymology Dictionary
(Note: only the second etymology applies to this word, while the first applies to Borr and Buri)

Borr/Buri: Thorpe interprets the names Buri and Bör to signify "the producing" or "the bringer forth" and "the produced" or "the brought forth" respectively, linking both to Sanskrit bâras, Gothic baurs, Latin por, puer. Cf. Thorpe (1851:4; 141-2).
Borr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boreas (for the sake of etymology, I have used "boreal"): "northern," late 15c., from Latin borealis, from boreas "north wind," from Greek Boreas, name of the god of the north wind, of unknown origin, perhaps related to words in Balto-Slavic for "mountain" and "forest."
Online Etymology Dictionary

Try again.

Yes that is correct.
To "bear" a burden

bears are bearers.

If what Gjallarhorn said is correct, then this:

Is is irrelevant, and your posts he was responding to are wrong.

I'll make a shot in the dark an say that it sounds like Borr is etymologically related to the English word "pour" as in "pour a glass of water."

the connection between the idea of "lifting up" and the idea of "bearing children" is fruit.
The tree "bears" fruit.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?strongs=H6509

פָּרָה

2. (Hiphil)
    2. to make fruitful
KnrHyXz.gif

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Lesson of the day: proto-Germanic is not Hebrew, nor is "beron" the same as "beranan".

Next etymological blunder please.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
well lets see

KnrHyXz.gif

Wrong language group.

The word "bear" as in "to bear fruit" is a completely different word as "bear", as in, the animal. It's also a completely different word than "pour", which it would seem the name Borr is derived from. Nothing to do with bears, either the animal, or bearing fruit/children.

So, sorry, you're not helping your case.

Plus, you still haven't demonstrated any credentials.

granpa

Dude, I'm not on trial here and I'm not trying to prove anything to anybody.
If you dont want to listen then dont.
its your loss not mine.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Lesson of the day: proto-Germanic is not Hebrew, nor is "beron" the same as "beranan".

Next etymological blunder please.

Greek and Hebrew are older than Latin, Greek may be older than Hebrew but there is no evidence supporting the idea yet nor is there evidence supporting the age of Germanic languages or Old Norse before Latin bled into the Germanic languages.

Latin was used do to it's popularity.

Ancient Scripts: Timeline

Greek is a full version or evolved version of Futhark, which came from Heimdall from the High One.

I'm cynical of the age of Futhark and Greek. While some theories are supported like the
theory the Norse Gods were Greek Kings that went north into the Scandinavian region after
the Trojan War.

Dating rocks seems trivial. Rocks are infinite years old...

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Dude, I'm not on trial here

Your argument is.

You can't just come into a Norse Mythology forum and start spewing arguments that go against all scholarly findings and linguistic facts, and expect reconstructionist Asatruar to let them go unchallenged.

If not for you, yourself, these challenges are for the lurkers reading this thread.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I was looking on resources on this but couldn't find anything beside speculations, Greek and Hebrew seem to originate in the same era.

Saami is a language group spoken by a people of the same name who live in the Far North of Scandinavia. Because Scandinavian languages are all North Germanic (Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, Danish, and Faroese), you'd expect Saami to be Germanic, as well. But it's not; it's in the Uralic category, which is the same category that Finnish and Hungarian are part of.

Furthermore, Hindi is the official language of India, and a linguistic grandchild of Sanskrit, also native to India, and one of the oldest attested languages. But both languages are part of the Indo-European family of languages, which include English, Greek, Latin, French, etc.

Languages are primarily categorized thusly based on grammar rather than vocabulary. (English, for example, is a Germanic language, with grammar primarily consistent with other such languages like German, Norwegian, Dutch, etc., despite having a massive vocabulary based on French and Latin because of the Norman invasion of England.)

Counter-intuitively, geographic closeness doesn't seem to have any effect on language relations except perhaps in some loan-words here and there.

granpa

Dude, I'm not on trial here and I'm not trying to prove anything to anybody.
If you dont want to listen then dont.
its your loss not mine.
Your argument is.

You can't just come into a Norse Mythology forum and start spewing arguments that go against all scholarly findings and linguistic facts, and expect reconstructionist Asatruar to let them go unchallenged.

If not for you, yourself, these challenges are for the lurkers reading this thread.

You really dont have a clue do you?
You are of course free to express your own opinion but neither I nor my ideas are on trial here.
You have run this thread like it was some sort of Salem witch trial
You have your own pet theories and agenda and you regard anything else as some sort of heresy
I have tried to answer your questions when they were reasonable but Its clear by now (indeed it was clear from the beginning) that your only interest is attacking me.
Arguing doesn't establish who is right. Arguing only establishes who is the better arguer

Last edited: