• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

norse cosmology

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
can you imagine what it would look like if earth had rings like satyrn?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifröst

In Norse mythology, Bifröst pronunciation (help·info) (Bifrost in Scandinavia) or sometimes Bilröst, is a burning rainbow bridge that reaches between Midgard (the world) and Asgard, the realm of the gods

The bridge is mentioned in the Prose Edda books Gylfaginning and Skáldskaparmál, where it is referred to as Bifröst. In chapter 13 of Gylfaginning, Gangleri (King Gylfi in disguise) asks the enthroned figure of High what way exists between heaven and earth. Laughing, High replies that the question isn't an intelligent one, and goes on to explain that the gods built a bridge from heaven and earth. He incredulously asks Gangleri if he has not heard the story before. High says that Gangleri must have seen it, and notes that Gangleri may call it a rainbow. High says that the bridge consists of three colors, has great strength, "and is built with art and skill to a greater extent than other constructions."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifröst#cite_note-FAULKES15-8

Seeing as you've gotten too "deep" into this to make debating most of these issues worthwhile, I'll just add this for flavor:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/visualnewscom/hypothetical-pics-if-eart_b_3460703.html

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
I've thought of the bifrost as well, trying to imagine such a glorious thing. Trying to make myth real
usually leads to complication over accepting them as metaphor. It's difficult to know what the Bifrost
is exactly, whether or not it is a physical bridge or something else. I hadn't finished the sagas and
learned about the Bifrost from one of its few mentions where Thor must pass through from Asgard
to Midgard another way if he must take Mjolnir. The path was under the bridge it seems where it
was dark and more than likely horrifying while the other Gods rode through on the Bifrost.

A more spectacular imagining of mine was the Bifrost was a gateway, even a brilliant hail &
lightening storm that others came forth, including the viking men.

"They came out of nowhere."

It adds to the drama but is also not as tangible as Asgard being a Kingdom on Earth.

vxPh79M.jpg

I got really excited when I first saw that from Norway,
http://www.industrytap.com/norways-longest-bridge-1310-meters-the-hardanger-bridge/1150

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I've been working on it and I finally have general agreement between the various mythology.
Adam is Surtr
Cain is Ymir and ahriman

At-a-glance - Religion-wiki

I didn't realize Adam did absolutely nothing except wait for the world to end and slaughter everyone and Cain was murdered for no reason other than to make the world.

You really need to stop syncretizing. It's gone beyond creativity into something simply pathetic...

granpa

In the beginning God created Asgard and Niflheim.
And Niflheim was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of Ginnungagap. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

And God said, Let there be a shield in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
And God made the shield, and divided the waters which were under the shield from the waters which were above the shield: and it was so.
And God called the shield Svalinn. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

And God said, Let the waters under Svalinn be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
And God called the dry land Midgard; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
In the beginning God created Asgard and Niflheim.
And Niflheim was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of Ginnungagap. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

And God said, Let there be a shield in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
And God made the shield, and divided the waters which were under the shield from the waters which were above the shield: and it was so.
And God called the shield Svalinn. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

And God said, Let the waters under Svalinn be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
And God called the dry land Midgard; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

Misappropriation.​
Through and through.​

Sees

Dragonslayer
This is a big reason why there is oral tradition, especially concerning deep, hidden, true meanings.... ancestors were smart :beach:

granpa

I had the Jotunn and the Hrimthurs switched.
I've fixed it now.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Prose_Edda/Gylfaginning

In the beginning, when the town of the gods was building, when the gods had set out Midgard and made Valhal,
there came a certain builder (Bergelmir) and offered to make them a burg (Svalinn), in three half years,
so excellent that it should be perfectly safe against the mountain giants and frost-giants, even though they should get within Midgard.
But he demanded as his reward, that he should have Freyja, and he wanted the sun and moon besides.

...When the asas thus became sure that it was really a mountain-giant that had come among them,
they did not heed their oaths, but called on Thor.
He came straightaway, swung his hammer, Mjolner, and paid the workman his wages.
---not with the sun and moon, but rather by preventing him from dwelling in (soon to be flooded) Jotunheim;
and this was easily done with the first blow of the hammer, which broke his skull into small pieces and sent him down to Niflhel.

Norse_cosmology_in_the_beginning.png

Norse_cosmology.png

Races_of_Norse_cosmology.png

Last edited:

granpa

Auðumbla = Gavaevodata
Ymir = Keyumars (not Angra Mainyu as I first suspected)

At-a-glance/Norse mythology - Religion-wiki
At-a-glance/Zoroastrian mythology - Religion-wiki

Gavaevodata - Religion-wiki
Keyumars - Religion-wiki

http://www.hinduwebsite.com/zoroastrianism/zoraindex.asp

In the Rigveda, Purusha is described as a primeval giant that is sacrificed by the gods (see Purushamedha) and from whose body the world and the varnas (castes) are built. He is described as having a thousand heads and a thousand feet. He emanated Virat, the female creative principle, from which he is reborn in turn before the world was made out of his parts.

In the sacrifice of Purusha, the Vedic chants were first created. The horses and cows were born, the Brahmins were made from Purusha's mouth, the Ksatriya from his arms, the Vaisyas from his thighs, and the Shudras from his feet. The Moon was born from his mind, the Sun from his eyes, the heavens from his skull. Indra and Agni emerged from his mouth

Last edited: