• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nobody here understands me!

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Now I’m seeing forum debates as roleplaying games where the roleplaying environment includes media stories and faction propaganda, and no one wants to know how much or how little any of it resembles what’s actually happening in the offline world around us.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’m seeing what looks to me like someone knowingly, intentionally and aggressively promoting animosities across belief divides, and it turns my stomach, no matter if it’s roleplaying or not. I’m wondering how to respond when that’s addressed to me.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’ve decided for now not to make any excuses for people drawing lines of alienation between groups and categories of people, including lines defined by ideology. I don’t mean that I will argue about it, but I will openly denounce that behavior, and I will allow no excuses for it in my own mind. I see it as a social illness threatening even more harrowing and unthinkable consequences, for all people everywhere, than what we’ve already seen, if it is not decisively checked.

I’ll be studying the message to religious leaders from the House of Justice, and its message to Baha’is, “One Common Faith,” to get ideas about what to do.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I’ll be studying the message to religious leaders from the House of Justice, and its message to Baha’is, “One Common Faith,” to get ideas about what to do.

This has the fingers in the pulse;

".....Thus do the forces of disintegration regroup and gain ground. So be it. The unification of humanity is unstoppable by any human force; the promises made by the prophets of old and by the Author of the Cause of God Himself testify to this truth. Yet the course humanity takes to achieve its destiny may very well be tortuous. The tumult raised by the contending peoples of the earth threatens to drown out the voices of those noble-minded souls in every society who call for an end to conflict and struggle. As long as that call goes unheeded, there is no reason to doubt that the world’s current state of disorder and confusion will worsen—possibly with catastrophic consequences—until a chastened humanity sees fit to take another significant step, perhaps this time decisive, towards enduring peace...."

18 January 2019 – To the Bahá’ís of the World | Bahá’í Reference Library

Good read, but will be quite confronting to a person who is not a Baha'i.

Regards Tony

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Now I want to think about how this all fits together with what I’ve been trying and hoping to do on the Internet. I think that all forms of instant communication will be used more and more for people to get ideas and encouragement from each other for whatever good they’re trying and hoping to do, online and offline. I would like to be part of that some day, but for now my priorities are offline, and if and when I come back online, I think I’ll start with Facebook and social networks.

I’m seeing online forum debates now as roleplaying games, and I think that might help me navigate through them better.

To help bring out the best possibilities in online forum discussions, I’ve been practicing trying to really understand what each person is trying to say, using friendly comments and questions to help me do that. I’ve also been practicing some ideas from a list I made.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’m thinking that if and when I go back to my Internet initiatives, I’ll be trying to learn to encourage and support some other people’s initiatives, and trying to help advance a process of community building in online community building, starting with ideas from offline community building. It starts with spontaneous acts of service, which I’ve already seen here and on Facebook Then people start encouraging and supporting each other in their community service. That grows and spreads and multiplies, and gradually becomes more systematic and sustained. I’m thinking now that I would start with Facebook because I a neighborhood there of people I already knew before we were Facebook friends. I might also try some social networks before I go back to forums, if I ever do. I think I would look for examples of community service that are already happening, and try to encourage and support those.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Thank you Jim. With all my heart I hope we can all find a way to serve our community that builds our unity and a lasting peace for all humanity. From individual initiative, on to community effort, then to a clusters, building up to a National level then on to the worldy scale.

From what I see the Universal House of Justice promoting in its Messages, is the elixer of virtues that is the foundation to building our communities. This has to be our Focus of all efforts. We start with children and youth, as these are the next generations who will need that foundation if the are to win the fight against a material world that removes our focus from these most important foundations in life.

As Baha'i, our teaching of these virtues will include reference to all the Messengers from our One God. Thus the invitation is given.

One could offer a virtues based program on the net. Maybe on RF that could be in the Religious general discussion area. Each week discuss a specific virtue and its importance across all Faiths and those with no Faith who want a life of virtue.

Regards Tony

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
One could offer a virtues based program on the net. Maybe on RF that could be in the Religious general discussion area. Each week discuss a specific virtue and its importance across all Faiths and those with no Faith who want a life of virtue.
Yes, I can see that as a possible example of what might happen.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@Tony Bristow-Stagg I see also that you do know something about the community activities that the House of Justice has been promoting.

The key to a lot of this Jim is finding souls that wish to begin building communities with a virtue based program. In Australia life is far to easy for many, life way to busy building the big Aussie dream, house and 2 cars. :oops: Faith has become another thing to fit in to such a busy life, it is no longer a way of life to a vast majority. The I am saved by being a Christain, motivates a life that sees that there is no need to change the status quo.

My wife and I do pray that we find that youthful person that will be the key to open doors to activities in our community. Until then, in work and life one tries to be the example asked of us and continue to invite a larger circle of friends to share all that is good.

In a small community, gossip is the biggest killer of spirit and thus is the greatest test faced by the community if it is to break down the barriers.

Regards Tony

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I’ve thought for a long time that sometimes.”atheist” is camouflage for anti-Christian prejudices and animosities. Now I’m thinking that might also be true sometimes for “non-Abrahamic.” That would explain some things for me that I’ve been seeing.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
The more I think about what I’ve been seeing, the more I think that some Buddhism and Hinduism is more anti-Christianity than it is Buddhism or Hinduism, people going just far enough and deep enough into Buddhism or Hinduism to fill the gap left by rejecting Christianity, but no farther.

Last edited: