• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noah's Ark: Your Opinion

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I wouldnt say there are no traces of a large flood

the grand canyon was carved by water, the dry central deserts of Australia is scattered with aquatic life, there are deep ravines and caves found all over the world full of fossilized remains of ancient animals who were laid down in silt... that spells water. And there are fullgrown mammoths being pulled out of glaciers and even ones being found buried in mud with fresh green grass still in their mouths... they drowned suddenly at some time in the ancient past

I think there certainly is evidence for a worldwide flood, it just isnt attributed to the flood we read about in the bible.

Carved by water yes, over approximately 300 million years. Rock does not erode as quickly, it takes a lot longer than you might think.

With regard to Australia, thats a result of changing topography and not flooding. You can find seashells in the heights of the great dividing range. This is due to crust instability and not flooding. Flooding leaves different signs such as thick build-ups of dark (usually fine) sediments.

A worldwide flood is impossible.

Pass The Potatoes

Pass The Potatoes
It is literal. (does this mean something that actually happened?) cause if so yes. for sure literal. I have seen multiple like still life paintings of the ark and a few of the flood itself and so there does seem to be historical records of its occurrence.

Warren Clark

Informer
It is literal. (does this mean something that actually happened?) cause if so yes. for sure literal. I have seen multiple like still life paintings of the ark and a few of the flood itself and so there does seem to be historical records of its occurrence.

paintings make it real?

There are paintings of Buddha everywhere... :sarcastic

Pass The Potatoes

Pass The Potatoes
The whole premise of this question was ridiculous! Of course this biblical flood did not occur, haha so I just thought I would take a sarcastic approach.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
timing is always going to be questionable because people didnt keep accurate records in ancient times

but the fact remains that these cultures have retained remnants of an event that became seared into their psyche... it was obviously a big enough event to cause it to be regarded as legendary.
A flood that wiped out one's homeland could also be big enough to be legendary. It doesn't have to be world wide.

Floods happen all over the world. We know that. However, we can not find a time, in which humans existed, that all life was destroyed. When the Biblical flood supposedly occurred, we had Asian societies flourishing. It isn't like they suddenly stopped, and then began again once people traveled to that region again.

Simply, there is no evidence for the Flood, especially when considering that we have people still living in other regions of the world when the supposed flood occurred.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I wouldnt say there are no traces of a large flood

the grand canyon was carved by water, the dry central deserts of Australia is scattered with aquatic life, there are deep ravines and caves found all over the world full of fossilized remains of ancient animals who were laid down in silt... that spells water. And there are fullgrown mammoths being pulled out of glaciers and even ones being found buried in mud with fresh green grass still in their mouths... they drowned suddenly at some time in the ancient past

I think there certainly is evidence for a worldwide flood, it just isnt attributed to the flood we read about in the bible.
Probably because all of those objects that you are describing are from different times in history. If they could all be shown to have happened at the same time, or even the same time period, you'd have an argument. However, the events that you are talking about are spread widely through history.

And when one considers the Grand Canyon, that has been explained very reasonably. More so, it was done over a long time period, not by one massive action.

outhouse

Atheistically
timing is always going to be questionable because people didnt keep accurate records in ancient times

Pegg some cultures did

the sumerians had excellent records thousands of years before the hebrews. the semetic speaking people in that culture did migrate to become hebrews.

They had exact records and details of a attested flood in 2900BC that originates when and where the noah flood is said to come from.

after a 6 day thunderstorm the already swollen Euphrates overflowed its banks and caused a massive flood that wiped many villages out leaving over 10' of silt and debris in many places.

I man did put his livestock on a barge and floated out to see and later landed on a hill and burned a animal sacrifice.

You cant see how the semetic speaking people carried the story through oral tradition for hundreds of years before the hebrews wrote it down and changed it to meet there deity ??????????

gnostic

The Lost One
pegg said:
the grand canyon was carved by water, the dry central deserts of Australia is scattered with aquatic life, there are deep ravines and caves found all over the world full of fossilized remains of ancient animals who were laid down in silt... that spells water.

Although I'm not a geologist, I did study geology for my civil engineering course. Admittedly, nothing in my subject related to the history of Australian geology or the Grand Canyon. However the research did help me understand erosion and weathering and hydrodynamics.*

And during that time, I did become interest in earth science, and did MY OWN reading/research about the formation of the Grand Canyon.*

Anyway, the formation of the*Grand Canyon is far older than the existence of modern man. The canyon was already there over a million years ago.*

Yes, the canyon was formed, largely by water, as you say - "carved by water", but it didn't happen by a single biblical flood about 4300 years ago, if that's what you think Pegg.*

The "carving" process have been GOING ON FOR MILLIONS OF YEARS, perhaps starting as early as 17 million years ago.*

And more importantly, it's formation was due to MILLIONS OF YEARS of erosion because of the river course and the rate of flow, which increase and decrease over time. Much of the CURRENT DEPTH of the canyon was already there, Pegg, about 1.2 million years ago.*

What darkendless wrote is essentially correct:

darkendless said:
Carved by water yes, over approximately 300 million years. Rock does not erode as quickly, it takes a lot longer than you might think.

I don't agree with estimate of "300 million years" or more, but I do agree that erosion took millions of years.*

Noah's Flood could not possibly cause the formation of the*Grand Canyon, because the erosion follow the natural course of the Colorado River.*

So no, Pegg. The*Grand Canyon wasn't created by Noah's Flood. You should do a little research before you make baseless claim.*

I did not do any research on Australian historical geology so I can't debate with you about that.*

Otherright

Otherright
My critical questions were always:

What happened to the water?
What about the freshwater/saltwater fish?
What about the beans?

InvestigateTruth

It's symbolic and spiritual. Ark is the symbol of Faith of God, Covenant. whoever enters there in, is of the saved ones.

"...the ark of the covenant..." Heb. 9:5

Water or Flood is the symbol of flow of divine guidance and loving kindness, which is "life":

"flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.." Gen 6:18
People were saved by the flood:

"....were saved by water." 1-Pet. 3:21

The flood came to destroy sin. Flash is the symbol of materialistic things which are the opposite of spirituality and the cause of sin.

"...the flesh, the motions of sins..." Rom. 7:6

"flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.." Gen 6:18

Last edited:

St Giordano Bruno

Even today people tend to seriously exaggerate natural disasters. Just take for instance the tsunami which hit Japan. People were at first fearing a body count into the hundreds of thousands, but it turns out in reality to be a fraction of that. There was also the great Mississippi flood of 1993 where to anyone that was caught up it would seem like Armageddon in their eyes. I just think Noah's flood was just another such exaggeration as the Tigris and Euphrates flooded to such an extreme is was to them the worst in living memory, and probably would have be exaggerated still further with each successive generation that put it to writing. It certainly would have been an act of nature rather than God.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I don't agree with estimate of "300 million years" or more, but I do agree that erosion took millions of years.*

Depends on the water flow throughout time. What is clear is that the canyon was a drainage path of a significant (and constant) flow of water for a very long time. Its pretty hard to say how long it took given I don't know much about the rock types in the strata itself. Erosion of rocks over such a large area takes a significantly long time and i'm going by the assumption that the canyon was not eroded continuously for the whole time it took to form.

*Deleted*

Areas do flood. The flood story in the Gilgamesh epic and the Noah flood story (close in time) sort of attest to me that some flooding occurred that was recorded and interpreted by the writers (of both)---plus there are flood stories all over the world. Floods all over the world.
If you'd been in Katrina thousands of years ago, it would have been THE GREAT FLOOD. Actually for those IN Katrina it WAS the GREAT FLOOD.

gnostic

The Lost One
darkendless said:
Erosion of rocks over such a large area takes a significantly long time and i'm going by the assumption that the canyon was not eroded continuously for the whole time it took to form.

No it wasn't and you are correct in your assumption.

The rate of erosion is due to elevations and gradient (or steepness) of the river flow. Uplift of land, on certain parts of Colorodo River, did cause increase flow and erosion.

Many Sages One Truth

Do you think the story of Noah's Ark and the Great Flood is something that is literal or metaphorical? Why do you think this?

Metaphorical for several reasons. The first being that there's no evidence for a global flood. The second that it's hard to imagine a boat of that size fitting seven pairs of all the world's clean animals, and one pair of unclean.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
No it wasn't and you are correct in your assumption.

The rate of erosion is due to elevations and gradient (or steepness) of the river flow. Uplift of land, on certain parts of Colorodo River, did cause increase flow and erosion.

Correct and in any case it can be said with certainty that Noah's Flood did not cause the formation of the Grand Canyon.

It would be impossible to conduct a test of formation of the canyon without having direct access to it.