• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noah's Ark: Your Opinion

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Anyway, the formation of the*Grand Canyon is far older than the existence of modern man. The canyon was already there over a million years ago.*

Yes, the canyon was formed, largely by water, as you say - "carved by water", but it didn't happen by a single biblical flood about 4300 years ago, if that's what you think Pegg.*

i didnt say that the grand canyon was formed by Noahs flood. I said it was evidence that large floods have occured all over the earth. i used it along with the australian desert as evidence because some claim that there is no evidence for an earthwide flood but I always reply with the fact that water washes everything away...so what evidence could they be hoping to see? The deep ravines of the canyon were once filled with dirt and rock...where is it now? Washed away obviously. And with the flood, even more of it would have been washed away.

So, no. I never claimed the canyon was a result of Noahs flood. Only that it is evidence of large flooding that has occurred.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
i didnt say that the grand canyon was formed by Noahs flood. I said it was evidence that large floods have occured all over the earth. i used it along with the australian desert as evidence because some claim that there is no evidence for an earthwide flood but I always reply with the fact that water washes everything away...so what evidence could they be hoping to see? The deep ravines of the canyon were once filled with dirt and rock...where is it now? Washed away obviously. And with the flood, even more of it would have been washed away.

So, no. I never claimed the canyon was a result of Noahs flood. Only that it is evidence of large flooding that has occurred.

It does not suggest a flood at all. Perhaps it is a result of being a flow path for a certain period.

Shells that are only 100's of years old can be traced to the Australian desert due to the changing landscape. During extreme tides or even small to moderate floods which we have encountered, these shells make their way up estuaries and then river systems as part of a sediment flow, and as a result find themselves hundreds of kilometres inland. Once these tides or small regional floods cease and drought comes (within Australia due to La Nina it can be a cycle of as little as 5 years) these river systems dry up and the shells are covered in sediments.

Pretty easy to explain how shells get around ;)

PVE1

It either didn't happen or it did on a much smaller degree. I do believe a flood happened, many cultures speak of such a thing and I think (though I'm not sure) there is scientific evidence to confirm it. Although, let's keep in mind, anything is possible if God allows it.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
It either didn't happen or it did on a much smaller degree. I do believe a flood happened, many cultures speak of such a thing and I think (though I'm not sure) there is scientific evidence to confirm it. Although, let's keep in mind, anything is possible if God allows it.

Very difficult to verify anything really. There isn't even that much evidence for a Sumerian flood which is a popular belief. Its hard to prove anything other than "there was water here once" in most cases.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The Grand Canyon does not suggest a global flood at all.
What it does suggest is consistent water and wind erosion along with periodic flash floods over the last five to six million years.

There is absolutely no empirical evidence of a global flood ever occurring.

gnostic

The Lost One
pegg said:

:facepalm: Good grief!

If you have studied geology (or earth science), flood or even archaeology, then you will learn that flood don't "washes everything away".

Where on earth did you this nonsense? :eek:

Flood always leave evidences behind that there were flood. You just have to know where to look for them. You seriously don't know what you are talking about.

With the Grand Canyon, the evidences of the formation of canyon was caused by millions of years of erosion, DUE TO THE COURSE OF THE RIVER, not some floods. The ravines followed the same course as Colorado River, and you would be blind if you don't see it. Torrential rain type of flooding will not carve the ravines that you see in the Grand Canyon.