• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noahidism

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Shalom all,

I never really intended to make this thread because Tumah already made an in-depth one that I've linked in my signature. Still, few people seem to be visiting those links and have all sorts of ideas about what I believe. So I am going to explain it as simply as I can (not that it's difficult!).

What do Noahides / B'nei Noach believe?

Everything that mainstream Judaism believes, except we are not Jews. While each individual is free to align himself with more or less traditional forms of Judaism, most of us hover around the Orthodox and Conservative movements.

Do you follow Torah?

No, we follow the Seven Noahide Laws, which could more rightfully be designated categories of laws.

Here they are as enumerated by Chabad:

Acknowledge that there is only one G‑d who is Infinite and Supreme above all things. Do not replace that Supreme Being with finite idols, be it yourself, or other beings. This command includes such acts as prayer, study and meditation.

Respect the Creator. As frustrated and angry as you may be, do not vent it by cursing your Maker.

Respect human life. Every human being is an entire world. To save a life is to save that entire world. To destroy a life is to destroy an entire world. To help others live is a corollary of this principle.

Respect the institution of marriage. Marriage is a most Divine act. The marriage of a man and a woman is a reflection of the oneness of G‑d and His creation. Disloyalty in marriage is an assault on that oneness.

Respect the rights and property of others. Be honest in all your business dealings. By relying on G‑d rather than on our own conniving, we express our trust in Him as the Provider of Life.

Respect G‑d's creatures. At first, Man was forbidden to consume meat. After the Great Flood, he was permitted - but with a warning: Do not cause unnecessary suffering to any creature.

Maintain justice. Justice is G‑d's business, but we are given the charge to lay down necessary laws and enforce them whenever we can. When we right the wrongs of society, we are acting as partners in the act of sustaining the creation.

Is this a new movement?

No; in ancient times there were folks called 'G-dfearers' who aligned with the Jewish people, took the Noahide Laws on themselves and became Gerim Toshavim.

Aren't you just hangers-on to the Jews?

Kinda. We steal their black hats and take selfies with them because we think it makes us look cool.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
i guess it's up to you to decide how much of your belief you wish to divulge, it's not for me to know what Noahides collectively or individually believe without asking the questions.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
i guess it's up to you to decide how much of your belief you wish to divulge, it's not for me to know what Noahides collectively or individually believe without asking the questions.
I made this thread really to be about Noahidism in general, but because it can be a diverse movement I will tend to use my own experiences.

Last edited:

Magus

Noahide is the Jewish version of Mormonism.

Noah wrote Seven Laws on a Tablet and this religion claims to know the laws that is written on it, so where is the Tablet? where are the Golden Plates?

Magus

Law 1 - The God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: ( Gen 2:16 ) * Is that a Law ?
is eating a law?

Law 2 - Mosaic (not Noahide )
Law 3 - Narrative (not a Law)
Law 4 - Narrative (not a Law)
Law 5 - Narrative (not a Law)
Law 6 - see Gen 4:4
Law 7 -Narrative (not a Law)

Cherry pick parts of the Torah and make a religion out of it. That's how Islam, Christianity and Judaism (Talmudism) came about.

Political-Cherry picking cults.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
@Rival Do you have collaborative efforts with members of other Abrahamic faiths?

Edit: This is actually a two part question....

Second question is can you be a Noahide without being a part of the movement? Meaning, would if I just simply observe those laws as just simple basic principles I just live by?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
@Rival Do you have collaborative efforts with members of other Abrahamic faiths?

Edit: This is actually a two part question....

Second question is can you be a Noahide without being a part of the movement? Meaning, would if I just simply observe those laws as just simple basic principles I just live by?
No and I suppose so.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Law 1 - The God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: ( Gen 2:16 ) * Is that a Law ?
is eating a law?

Law 2 - Mosaic (not Noahide )
Law 3 - Narrative (not a Law)
Law 4 - Narrative (not a Law)
Law 5 - Narrative (not a Law)
Law 6 - see Gen 4:4
Law 7 -Narrative (not a Law)

Cherry pick parts of the Torah and make a religion out of it. That's how Islam, Christianity and Judaism (Talmudism) came about.

Political-Cherry picking cults.

I don't presume to speak for Rival, but I don't believe her intention of posting this thread was to debate her beliefs. I would assume if this was her intent, she would have posted this in a debate forum.

Magus

ah, so deriving laws from text and giving sources when asked is no good, but inventing linguistic games and deriving nonsense works for you. OK. Have fun with that.

But mutilating infant boys for no reason what so ever works for you? I am sure you don't understand how difficult it is to learn two ancient languages simultaneously.

USA as the absolute worst educational system in the world , 90% of it's PHD Students are foreign born in that country and they, the ill-educated people dare to comment on my intellect, How about you prove we all descend from a 930 year old Man called Adam whom lived 6000 years ago.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
Maintain justice. Justice is G‑d's business, but we are given the charge to lay down necessary laws and enforce them whenever we can. When we right the wrongs of society, we are acting as partners in the act of sustaining the creation.]

This description reminds me of Zoroastrianism a bit. . . the belief that doing good wasn't just a method of living well or gaining favor, but it actually helps Mazda by punching the evil God in the face with your goodness.

Were't you once Zoroastrian? What changed, and what makes your current faith more appealing? Does that concept of being good carry over into your current understanding?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Shalom all,

I never really intended to make this thread because Tumah already made an in-depth one that I've linked in my signature. Still, few people seem to be visiting those links and have all sorts of ideas about what I believe. So I am going to explain it as simply as I can (not that it's difficult!).

What do Noahides / B'nei Noach believe?

Everything that mainstream Judaism believes. While each individual is free to align himself with more or less traditional forms of Judaism, most of us hover around the Orthodox and Conservative movements.

Do you follow Torah?

No, we follow the Seven Noahide Laws, which could more rightfully be designated categories of laws.

Here they are as enumerated by Chabad:

Acknowledge that there is only one G‑d who is Infinite and Supreme above all things. Do not replace that Supreme Being with finite idols, be it yourself, or other beings. This command includes such acts as prayer, study and meditation.

Respect the Creator. As frustrated and angry as you may be, do not vent it by cursing your Maker.

Respect human life. Every human being is an entire world. To save a life is to save that entire world. To destroy a life is to destroy an entire world. To help others live is a corollary of this principle.

Respect the institution of marriage. Marriage is a most Divine act. The marriage of a man and a woman is a reflection of the oneness of G‑d and His creation. Disloyalty in marriage is an assault on that oneness.

Respect the rights and property of others. Be honest in all your business dealings. By relying on G‑d rather than on our own conniving, we express our trust in Him as the Provider of Life.

Respect G‑d's creatures. At first, Man was forbidden to consume meat. After the Great Flood, he was permitted - but with a warning: Do not cause unnecessary suffering to any creature.

Maintain justice. Justice is G‑d's business, but we are given the charge to lay down necessary laws and enforce them whenever we can. When we right the wrongs of society, we are acting as partners in the act of sustaining the creation.

Is this a new movement?

No; in ancient times there were folks called 'G-dfearers' who aligned with the Jewish people, took the Noahide Laws on themselves and became Gerim Toshavim.

Aren't you just hangers-on to the Jews?

Kinda. We steal their black hats and take selfies with them because we think it makes us look cool.
In honor of this I'm giving you a rainbow.