• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Joke!

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
After putting two political joke threads up today, I noticed that they both retain some elements of seriousness. I suppose for some, the topic is too stressful to joke about.

Are there any topics you are unable or unwilling to joke about?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
After putting two political joke threads up today, I noticed that they both retain some elements of seriousness. I suppose for some, the topic is too stressful to joke about.
I was completely serious about my nominations.

No. But you've probably known me long enough to know that about me already.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Have a guess...

IMG_7027.jpeg

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Sexual Assault.

^^^ THIS ^^^

And

Mental illness

These are horrible things, yes.

These, as well as anything else that drives emotion, from my perspective, are emotions reinforce attachments to transactional reality.

While my instinctive reaction is to be triggered by these things, I stay with that which I can influence.

If you have control over sexual abuse, mental illness, and the horror of animal husbandry, by all means, take the reins and fix them.

Joking/laughter isn't making light of horrible things. It's a means of letting go of attachments.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen the term "mental illness" used a couple of times in this thread.

Experience has taught me that we are all somewhere on the spectrum. I've had many a conversation about where my 2 year old granddaughter's place is on this. She displays behaviors that people who claim to be qualified to have diagnosed as autism, Aspergers, and the like. I contend that she's a point on the spectum, as am I, as are you. Where on the spectrum do we draw the line at mental illness?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

What you are going through personally and people in similar situations. If a joke is to be made, it's up to you to joke about what you are facing.

I extend that to a "joke" which is really a putdown or passive-aggressive in any way.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen the term "mental illness" used a couple of times in this thread.

Experience has taught me that we are all somewhere on the spectrum. I've had many a conversation about where my 2 year old granddaughter's place is on this. She displays behaviors that people who claim to be qualified to have diagnosed as autism, Aspergers, and the like. I contend that she's a point on the spectum, as am I, as are you. Where on the spectrum do we draw the line at mental illness?
That's a good question.

Perhaps mental illness is somewhat like physical illness; a problem when you can't complete tasks of daily life.
I extend that to a "joke" which is really a putdown or passive-aggressive in any way.
That sounds more like you're referring to insults people mask as jokes, in hopes of getting away with it.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Over my lifetime, people have made light of my character. Perhaps these comments were were intended to be passive aggressive or a putdown, perhaps they were not. If they were well executed, I would share in the laughter, regardless of intent. Laugh with me; laugh at me. Just laugh! When is the last time you felt despair while in the throes of laughter?

People tend to take themselves far too seriously. Live, laugh, love.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I think timing is as important as topic.

For instance, jokes about excessive alcohol consumption can be funny in a lot of different contexts, but not so much when you're visiting somebody in the hospital waiting for a liver transplant.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I joke about almost everything. It's how I cope with stuff and stay relatively sane.

Humor is a wonderful coping mechanism, but there is a fine line of laughing with and for someone, as opposed to laughing at someone.

Some things, despite claims in this thread to the contrary, aren't worth joking about.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Lots, actually. Racism, sexism, starvation, sexual assault, vulgarity ... I think there is subtle hatred or intolerance in a lot of stuff.