• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Joke!

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Humor is a wonderful coping mechanism, but there is a fine line of laughing with and for someone, as opposed to laughing at someone.

Some things, despite claims in this thread to the contrary, aren't worth joking about.

It's hard to say anything without offending someone which is why most of my jokes are self deprecating but I can't help wondering if the world would be a better place if we were all a little thicker skinned and not so easily offended.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
It's hard to say anything without offending someone which is why most of my jokes are self deprecating but I can't help wondering if the world would be a better place if we were all a little thicker skinned and not so easily offended.

(To bold) Has been said by every generation of the next.

My guess is people don't like to learn that what once was funny to them and others, is now seen in a new light.

It's actually pretty easy to say things without offending people (to me at least). I can't remember the last time someone said I was offending them because of a joke. Unless I was actually trying to offend them.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
(To bold) Has been said by every generation of the next.
I wasn't talking of generations, I don't think young people are more or less easily offended than old or middle age people. Not sure what I said that made you think I felt it was a generational thing.

My guess is people don't like to learn that what once was funny to them and others, is now seen in a new light.

It's actually pretty easy to say things without offending people (to me at least). I can't remember the last time someone said I was offending them because of a joke. Unless I was actually trying to offend them.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, or partially cultural. Or I have no feelings.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I wasn't talking of generations, I don't think young people are more or less easily offended than old or middle age people. Not sure what I said that made you think I felt it was a generational thing.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, or partially cultural. Or I have no feelings.

That's why I made sure I bolded what I wanted to refer to; I know it wasn't a great one to one comparison.

I've heard some variation of this phrase (people just need thicker skin) about any and all jokes people want to tell that offend others, throughout my 36 years.

It was more a call back to my previous statement that people don't like hearing what once was considered funny, has aged, and is now seen as not funny.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Perhaps mental illness is somewhat like physical illness; a problem when you can't complete tasks of daily life.
When I studied psychology "psychosis" was applied to those who could not function and "neurosis" for those with psychological issues that were less severe.
That sounds more like you're referring to insults people mask as jokes, in hopes of getting away with it.
Yes

Dao Hao Now

I believe a sense of humor is a very valuable thing.
Of course it’s very subjective and varies from person to person, and from time to time.

I don’t believe anything should be off limits from making fun of/ making light of/joking about etc.
Of course, context and timing are integral to humor and jokes; so discretion is a part of when and how funny something is to individuals.

You can tell a lot about a person by their sense of humor, and can tell a lot about the mood of people you know well based on their current temporal sense of humor.

For instance, jokes about excessive alcohol consumption can be funny in a lot of different contexts, but not so much when you're visiting somebody in the hospital waiting for a liver transplant.
For example;
Were I in a hospital waiting for a liver transplant, I would think jokes about excessive alcohol consumption would be more than fair game.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think that each culture, because of linguistic, cultural and religious background, is different, as for the sense of humor.

In my culture, you can joke pretty about anything.
Even about religion. I mean, jokes about the Vatican are the best.

But here humor is all about vulgarity, sex, and so on.
So I m totally sure foreigners don't understand or don't find this kind of humor funny.

As we don't find most jokes from other cultures funny.
It's totally normal-
I think mutual respect is essential, though :) I respect you and you respect me.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
For instance, jokes about excessive alcohol consumption can be funny in a lot of different contexts, but not so much when you're visiting somebody in the hospital waiting for a liver transplant.
If I was the patient, I'd likely be the one cracking the jokes, though, to bring levity to what those visiting would perceive as a serious or sad situation...to make them laugh.

Erebus

As an edgy teenager, I'd joke about anything and that very much includes the things people have listed in this thread. As a slightly less edgy adult, my attitude has changed a bit. My sense of humour can still be pretty dark at times and I very much have to hold back the worst of it on RF. However, I'm much more aware of the context and intent of a joke as well as being unimpressed by shock value for its own sake.

Broadly speaking, I don't like jokes that punch down. I particularly don't like jokes that are little more than a way to give outright bigotry a veneer of plausible deniability.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you find this funny? ;)
Video unavailable in my country.

If you're posting a video of some atrocity to ask if I find it funny, then sadly, you miss the point.

Finding humor is adversity is a way to cope, and making people laugh, despite the situation, brings people together and promotes well-being.

RestlessSoul

I've seen the term "mental illness" used a couple of times in this thread.

Experience has taught me that we are all somewhere on the spectrum. I've had many a conversation about where my 2 year old granddaughter's place is on this. She displays behaviors that people who claim to be qualified to have diagnosed as autism, Aspergers, and the like. I contend that she's a point on the spectum, as am I, as are you. Where on the spectrum do we draw the line at mental illness?

At the point, I suppose, where our mental idiosyncrases seriously impact on our ability to relate to others, and to cope with life.

RestlessSoul

I think timing is as important as topic.

If I'm ever in hospital awaiting a liver transplant, I invite anyone who has a good liver joke to seek me out and tell me it before it's too la....