• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

no condoms for college students

Me Myself

Back to my username
In Canada, America, most of Europe I'm guessing, condoms are readily available, like snack machines ... at gas stations, in many high schools, certainly in bars. So you didn't know that?

Well, In gas stations too now that I remember but not snag machine but you order them to the lady that charges your stuff.

Never seen a condom machine here xD

Alceste

Vagabond
In Canada, America, most of Europe I'm guessing, condoms are readily available, like snack machines ... at gas stations, in many high schools, certainly in bars. So you didn't know that?

Also, several clinics and resource centres have big bowls of free condoms on the counter.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Also, several clinics and resource centres have big bowls of free condoms on the counter.

Yes, I just remember my son's wedding in Dominican Republic, and how the locals all seemed to have 9 or 11 kids. Then this thread on a Catholic college came up, and I started remembering the sadness (poverty) in the faces of the children in DR, all because they're parents had never heard of condoms, couldn't get them, or had been so indoctrinated into the evils of birth control. So now I wonder what's like in the rest of South America, besides Ecuador?

Alceste

Vagabond
Yes, I just remember my son's wedding in Dominican Republic, and how the locals all seemed to have 9 or 11 kids. Then this thread on a Catholic college came up, and I started remembering the sadness (poverty) in the faces of the children in DR, all because they're parents had never heard of condoms, couldn't get them, or had been so indoctrinated into the evils of birth control. So now I wonder what's like in the rest of South America, besides Ecuador?

Guatemala was absolutely infested with impoverished children, many of them living on the street or at least not in school. They worked during the day, peddling trinkets to the tourists. In the mountains, they lived in crowded shacks with inadequate sanitation.

Condoms, people.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Guatemala was absolutely infested with impoverished children, many of them living on the street or at least not in school. They worked during the day, peddling trinkets to the tourists. In the mountains, they lived in crowded shacks with inadequate sanitation.

Condoms, people.

Yes but as long as the parents are married it's all good you know. "Every child a blessing", and "God will provide" (trinkets for the starving children to sell), and all that.

Me Myself

Back to my username

I am sad to say that a lot of extremely poor people have the mentality that if you have a lot of children, then " at least one" " maybe one" will move forward and help them get out of poverty.

I ve heard it first hand.

Not cool.

Me Myself

Back to my username
The alternative to condoms is that people will make careful choices with the people they choose to have sex with.

The point of condoms is that people will use them and have sex with anything and everything.

Did I miss the sarcasm or are you actually unable to see all the in between?

I have sex with ONE person that I know very well and I use condoms because neither of us want kids.

She wouldnt at all have sex with "anyone" and neither would I .

There are a lot of people who would with or without condoms though. I highly prefer they have condoms in such instance.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I am sad to say that a lot of extremely poor people have the mentality that if you have a lot of children, then " at least one" " maybe one" will move forward and help them get out of poverty.

I ve heard it first hand.

Not cool.

Yes, I heard that too. :) It was 40 years ago when I heard it ... about Africa. The charities concerned about overpopulation were handing out free birth control pills, and the people collected them like coins, and played checkers with them. So indeed there is an underlying social cause to this mentality, namely poverty itself. So there needs to be a ton of education that goes with it, and a general better method of wealth distribution.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The alternative to condoms is that people will make careful choices with the people they choose to have sex with.

No, the alternative to condoms is that people will have unprotected sex instead of protected sex.

The point of condoms is that people will use them and have sex with anything and everything.

No, the point of condoms is to help prevent pregnancy and disease.

I can see our lack of focus on sex education is having disasterous consequences on people when they don't even know what condoms do.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
No, the alternative to condoms is that people will have unprotected sex instead of protected sex.

No, the point of condoms is to help prevent pregnancy and disease.

I can see our lack of focus on sex education is having disasterous consequences on people when they don't even know what condoms do.

Indeed.

dust1n

Zindīq
"The Massachusetts ACLU says that the threat of disciplinary action by BC is a potential infringement on the students’ civil rights. The ACLU may indeed take legal action: just because the school is a private institution does not give it the right to, in effect, do whatever it wants. In the Boston Globe, Sarah Wunsch, staff lawyer at the *ACLU of Massachusetts, cites the Massachusetts Civil Rights Act of 1979, which does not allow private and public entities to interfere with an individual’s civil rights.

BC and other Catholic universities indeed note that the prohibition against students handing out condoms on campus is “not specifically outlined in a written policy.” But they claim that “student groups are well aware that they are prohibited from distributing birth control on campus” because such an activity runs “counter to Catholic beliefs.”"

The students are safe. If they are paid tuition and recourse for some action that isn't outlined is taken anywhere, then the school will be subject to much liability concerning the money invested into a school. You can't accept students, than then half way through their degree, add rules or changes rules in the publication you have already provided (by the way, students are projected from changes in their program.. If I start school in 2014, and new projects come out every year, I stay with my 2014 program until 2018, by law). So there is actual no legal agreement to said rule, which is rather arbitrary. Even if this wasn't the case, this probably falls under civil rights, the right to petition and demonstrate, which holds on all public and private college campuses.

dust1n

Zindīq
Its a catholic college you don't have to attend.

:shrug:

It would be a different story is these concerns where in guidebooks provided to the students when the students in question joined the campus.

I'm certain the solution wouldn't seem so simple if you had already invested $12,000 this year alone in tuition, and now your school is trying to remove you for an 'unspoken rule' and 'warnings against students for breaking unspoken rules.'

Alceste

Vagabond

Wait, what? You think that people who are being choosy about their lovers don't need to use birth control and reduce the risk of STDs?

I'd rather sleep with a complete whore who knew how to protect himself and his partner, personally.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
It would be a different story is these concerns where in guidebooks provided to the students when the students in question joined the campus.

I'm certain the solution wouldn't seem so simple if you had already invested $12,000 this year alone in tuition, and now your school is trying to remove you for an 'unspoken rule' and 'warnings against students for breaking unspoken rules.'

Actually I checked there guide book and read the newspaper article. The guide book clearly indicates it is a catholic college that promotes the catholic way of life. (which if you checked says no condems). Secondly they are only telling the organization to stop handing them out on campus. They do not like the fact that they hand them out on the public sidewalk and are looking for a way to stop that but they are not punishing students for passing out or accepting condems on a public sidewalk.

Here's my opinion.

Each religion has the right to enforce there own rules for there own property. If you use that religions property you are responsible to them. If you don't want that responsiblilty don't use it.

Some one else said maybe they got a grant to that college. If you feel strongly about something you should find another way. If you want a free ride you get what you paid for. In this case you can't hand out or recieve condems on campus. You have to go to the drug store and buy them yourself, too bad.

dust1n

Zindīq
Actually I checked there guide book and read the newspaper article. The guide book clearly indicates it is a catholic college that promotes the catholic way of life. (which if you checked says no condems). Secondly they are only telling the organization to stop handing them out on campus. They do not like the fact that they hand them out on the public sidewalk and are looking for a way to stop that but they are not punishing students for passing out or accepting condems on a public sidewalk.

Here's my opinion.

Each religion has the right to enforce there own rules for there own property. If you use that religions property you are responsible to them. If you don't want that responsiblilty don't use it.

Some one else said maybe they got a grant to that college. If you feel strongly about something you should find another way. If you want a free ride you get what you paid for. In this case you can't hand out or recieve condems on campus. You have to go to the drug store and buy them yourself, too bad.

It doesn't matter if the handbook says the school promotes this or that. In the student handbook, passing out condoms is not subject for academic probation or penalty. Therefore, it must hold to the original contract agreed to by the school when it accepted the student's enrollment. Not only is the school already under the legal contract to teach this student in exchange for their tuition, but that they cannot be removed from the school unless their agreement explicitly stated otherwise at the time it was agreed upon. It doesn't matter if it's their 'own religious property.' It signed a contract granting the privilege of access to the campus. Churches don't get to break contracts because they are churches.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
It doesn't matter if the handbook says the school promotes this or that. In the student handbook, passing out condoms is not subject for academic probation or penalty. Therefore, it must hold to the original contract agreed to by the school when it accepted the student's enrollment. Not only is the school already under the legal contract to teach this student in exchange for their tuition, but that they cannot be removed from the school unless their agreement explicitly stated otherwise at the time it was agreed upon. It doesn't matter if it's their 'own religious property.' It signed a contract granting the privilege of access to the campus. Churches don't get to break contracts because they are churches.

Have you ever read a contract that didn't allow the organization to change the contracts agreement. The Boston College guide has such a statement. Some College board or something has final say on anything not in the contract. The contract does not specify anything about condoms so the College board(or what ever group it was) would have final say.

If you do decide to read it. It is quite large and refers you to different links when you wish to drill down.

Suffice it to say, I am not a lawyer but from what I know(having read the contract) they have the right to do what they are doing.