• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

no condoms for college students

dust1n

Zindīq
Of course it is, but it's a catholic school, so what do the students expect?

You expect a school to run by operation of the contract you signed with it at the time of enrollment. Or, at least, not only compensate money spent at Boston College by those students, by also any scholarships for other schools students were eligible for at the time of enrollment, since the college misleading its students about its own policies caused students to turn done opportunities that are no longer available to them.

Monotheist 101

This wont stop students humping each other..what did they mean to accomplish by this? IMO we are better off safe than sorry...

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
And do you plan on ever answering my question as to why free condoms should be banned on college campuses? Or when it became legal for Boston College to suddenly change its contracts with students to whatever it likes on a whim? Or where in the student book it say it reserves the rights to change anything about student book as a student progresses?

No I took the time to read the book and you can to if you really care. I told you how I found the Book (google student guide for Boston College). Like any legal document its large and cumbersome. Have fun I did.

Here's another view.

If we let things stand as they are no one gets hurt.

The kids, parents, teachers, boosters, and alumi that want free condoms not to be given out on campus get their way.

The kids, parents, teachers, boosters and alumi that want to give out free condoms still can with in walking distance of the campus.

The poor college students that can't afford condoms can walk a short distance and get them.

The unfortunate college students that got lucky but don't have a condom can walk a short distance and get one.

Every one gets what they want.

Your method punishes those that don't think like you. In your method the groups that don't agree with condom distribution don't get a say at all. Of course you believe their position is wrong and they deserve to be punished and of course do not deserve their money back or their rights.

Alceste

Vagabond
No I took the time to read the book and you can to if you really care. I told you how I found the Book (google student guide for Boston College). Like any legal document its large and cumbersome. Have fun I did.

Here's another view.

The kids, parents, teachers, boosters, and alumi that want free condoms not to be given out on campus get their way.

The kids, parents, teachers, boosters and alumi that want to give out free condoms still can with in walking distance of the campus.

The poor college students that can't afford condoms can walk a short distance and get them.

The unfortunate college students that got lucky but don't have a condom can walk a short distance and get one.

Your method punishes those that don't think like you. In your method the groups that don't agree with condom distribution don't get a say at all. Of course you believe their position is wrong and they deserve to be punished and of course do not deserve their money back or their rights.

This is typical. Why should anyone have a say in what OTHER PEOPLE are allowed to do on campus? Since when did that become a freedom worth protecting?

The say that the anti-condom students (if there are any, which I doubt) get is not having to take the free condoms or participate in their distribution. Why isn't that enough?

dust1n

Zindīq

Here's another view.

I looked at the Boston College handbook too. I didn't see any mention where BC reserves the right to change anything about their student handbooks during a student's. I don't see to punish anyone, unless, of course, they broke the contract.

dust1n

Zindīq
I don't know why it is hard to understand. A university is not somehow above their students. Legally, a university is entity in all the ways a human being is an entity. That being said, a single student and the entire university stand on equal footing in terms of contractual laws.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
This is typical. Why should anyone have a say in what OTHER PEOPLE are allowed to do on campus? Since when did that become a freedom worth protecting?

The say that the anti-condom students (if there are any, which I doubt) get is not having to take the free condoms or participate in their distribution. Why isn't that enough?

Really its a Catholic College and you don't believe there are students against handing out free condoms(I'm guessing you don't know a lot of Catholics).

I agree only the owners of the campus should have say of what is done on campus. That is my point. Why does anyone other than the owners belief, need, or want matter.

Alceste

Vagabond
Really its a Catholic College and you don't believe there are students against handing out free condoms(I'm guessing you don't know a lot of Catholics).

I agree only the owners of the campus should have say of what is done on campus. That is my point. Why does anyone other than the owners belief, need, or want matter.

The students are paying tuition with the expectation of a certain degree of free speech and action, and there is no policy that explicitly prohibits the distribution of condoms on campus.

I do know a lot of Catholics. I have not found them to be any less inclined toward premarital sex than anybody else, or any less inclined to use protection.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I looked at the Boston College handbook too. I didn't see any mention where BC reserves the right to change anything about their student handbooks during a student's. I don't see to punish anyone, unless, of course, they broke the contract.

There is nothing in the contract that allows distributing condoms, there is nothing in the contract prohibiting the distribution of condoms.

Right out of the contract.

• The responsibility to cooperate with University officials in the performance of their duties.
  • The responsibility to respect the values and traditions of Boston College as a Jesuit, Catholic institution.
Modifications

to

the

Conditions

for

Residency:

The University reserves the right to revise and amend the rules and regulations set forth in the Conditions for Residency at any time during the academic year

I was able to find it again.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
This is not a statement for protective sex. This is a statement of rights. Does the owner of a property have the right to decide what is done on the owners property or not. Personally I think the owner does. Apparently you don't

Do you think people have the right to build a meth lab on their property? Do people have the right to fight dogs or otherwise abuse animals on their property? Do businesses have the right to deny service to someone based on their race? Should employers have the right to fire people based on their religion?

The fact is, in America, people have rights and there are laws, that supersede those of personal ownership or property. Some people do believe that private property should trump all those.

I am wondering if you are one of those people, or if you simply haven't thought this stance through.

dust1n

Zindīq
There is nothing in the contract that allows distributing condoms, there is nothing in the contract prohibiting the distribution of condoms.

Right out of the contract.

• The responsibility to cooperate with University officials in the performance of their duties.
  • The responsibility to respect the values and traditions of Boston College as a Jesuit, Catholic institution.

Exactly. There is no where explicitly stated that what they are doing was grounds for disciplinary action. Respecting values and traditions does not obligate one to follow or be disciplined.

Modifications
to the Conditions for Residency:

The University reserves the right to revise and amend the rules and regulations set forth in the Conditions for Residency at any time during the academic year

I was able to find it again.

That's the conditions of residency. Whether the school can changes the rules about who lives there in dorms, doesn't mean they can discipline kid academically. It means they can get kicked out of the dorms.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Exactly. There is no where explicitly stated that what they are doing was grounds for disciplinary action. Respecting values and traditions does not obligate one to follow or be disciplined.

That's the conditions of residency. Whether the school can changes the rules about who lives there in dorms, doesn't mean they can discipline kid academically. It means they can get kicked out of the dorms.

There are many more quotes I can pull and you can discount but I tire of this.

I get it You(plural) have a problem with Catholics, Authority, or Sexual practices and strongly believe this to be wrong.

Fortunately there is nothing you can do.
It is legal, There is no big protest in Boston College, no one is being hurt and right now if you went there and tried to cause an issue they would probably chase you out of town or lock you up.

So I leave you to you belief; whereas, you can say see those Catholics, Authoritative people or sexually restrictive people did it again and I can be mad about it. You win!:bow:

dust1n

Zindīq
There are many more quotes I can pull and you can discount but I tire of this.

I get it You(plural) have a problem with Catholics, Authority, or Sexual practices and strongly believe this to be wrong.

Fortunately there is nothing you can do.
It is legal, There is no big protest in Boston College, no one is being hurt and right now if you went there and tried to cause an issue they would probably chase you out of town or lock you up.

So I leave you to you belief; whereas, you can say see those Catholics, Authoritative people or sexually restrictive people did it again and I can be mad about it. You win!:bow:

So a disinterest in backing up statements is masked with assumptions of my character and ad hominems. A classy choice for an exit.

Oh well...

I'll be siding with:

Boston College’s chapter of the American Association of University Professors has come out in favor of the students.

“The issues regarding sexual health raised by BCSSH are important to the welfare of our students who come from a variety of faith traditions,” the professors said in a statement provided to Boston.com. “Taking disciplinary action against them on such matters of individual conscience sends the wrong message.”

Boston College, ACLU spar over underground condom railroad on campus | The Daily Caller

I guess we'll see what happens:

"ACLU officials in Massachusetts say the threat of discipline issued by BC infringes on students’ civil rights.

“BC is saying that they’re a private university, so we can do what we want,” said Sarah Wunsch, staff lawyer at the *ACLU of Massachusetts. “But that’s actually not true.”

Wunsch cited the Massachusetts Civil Rights Act of 1979, which prohibits interference with civil rights by private as well as public entities. She cited a court case lost by Boston University in the 1980s after the insti*tution attempted to force students to remove an antiapartheid poster from their dorm windows. In that case, the judge ruled that the state Civil Rights Act protected the free speech rights of the students, even though they attended a private school.

Leaders of the student group say they have a meeting scheduled with BC administrators at the end of April but, for now, plan to continue handing out contraception, lubricant, and safe-sex information at 18 on-campus locations."

Catholic colleges show solidarity with Boston College’s condom distribution ban - Metro - The Boston Globe