• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NJ Teacher Pulls Hajib off Muslim Student

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
This got my blood boiling pretty good last night:

A US Olympic medal-winning fencer has accused a New Jersey teacher of pulling off a second-grader's hijab in the middle of class despite the student's resistance.

Ibtihaj Muhammad, who won bronze in women's team sabre in Rio, claimed Seth Boyden Elementary School teacher Tamar Herman 'forcibly removed the hijab' from a second-grader's head on Tuesday.

'Herman told the student that her hair was beautiful and she did not have to wear hijab to school anymore,' Muhammad wrote on Instagram on Wednesday.

Herman has been placed on leave and is currently under investigation for the alleged action, said her attorney, Ronald Ricci, who claimed the teacher did nothing wrong...
-- Olympic fencer accuses New Jersey teacher of 'pulling hijab off second-grade girl | Daily Mail Online

However, I'll wait to see how this plays out.

Your thoughts?

Bodie

Every day there's some outrageous story about bigotry directed at Blacks, Muslims, Asian-Americans, women and others. This is one example of the pandemic of hate.

How do you feel about teacher's telling twelve and thirteen year old girls or boys it was stupid of them to wear purity or chastity rings?

PureX

Veteran Member
So, this doesn't bother you if it's true?
In the grand scheme of things to worry about, I am not especially bothered by this, even if it's true. Obviously, the situation will be rectified. And just as obviously, we are only getting part of the story. Because playing on our outrage to get clicks for the ads accompanying a story is a common practice these days. And the story doesn't have to be even remotely true for it to work.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
In the grand scheme of things to worry about, I am not especially bothered by this, even if it's true. Obviously, the situation will be rectified. And just as obviously, we are only getting part of the story. Because playing on our outrage to get clicks for the ads accompanying a story is a common practice these days. And the story doesn't have to be even remotely true for it to work.
As one who was in education and who suffered religious discrimination as well as did some of my students, it bothers me a lot. But that's me and was them.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

A US Olympic medal-winning fencer has accused a New Jersey teacher of pulling off a second-grader's hijab in the middle of class despite the student's resistance.

Ibtihaj Muhammad, who won bronze in women's team sabre in Rio, claimed Seth Boyden Elementary School teacher Tamar Herman 'forcibly removed the hijab' from a second-grader's head on Tuesday.

'Herman told the student that her hair was beautiful and she did not have to wear hijab to school anymore,' Muhammad wrote on Instagram on Wednesday.

Herman has been placed on leave and is currently under investigation for the alleged action, said her attorney, Ronald Ricci, who claimed the teacher did nothing wrong...
-- Olympic fencer accuses New Jersey teacher of 'pulling hijab off second-grade girl | Daily Mail Online

Your thoughts?

A teacher never has the right to pull on a student's clothing. (Save instances where a student is becoming violent and needs to be stopped.)

How do you feel about teacher's telling twelve and thirteen year old girls or boys it was stupid of them to wear purity or chastity rings?

I think teachers should mind their own business regarding student's clothing/jewelry, unless it is offensive/dangerous.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Your thoughts?

If true, this is definitely an outrage. However, the article indicated that the teacher and the girl's mother knew each other and worked out at the same gym. The teacher's attorney said it was "100% untrue."

I also wonder, can a teacher in a diverse school district really be that clueless? Something seems amiss.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If true, this is definitely an outrage. However, the article indicated that the teacher and the girl's mother knew each other and worked out at the same gym. The teacher's attorney said it was "100% untrue."

I also wonder, can a teacher in a diverse school district really be that clueless? Something seems amiss.
You'd honestly be surprised. Having worked with teachers, some of them are truly that clueless.

I wonder what the reaction would be if a teacher took off a Jewish boy's kippah?

It's disgusting.

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member
Your thoughts?

By default, I think it's the child's right to decide whether they wear the Hijab and this is obviously the wrong thing to do and is disrespectful. Wearing the Hijab doesn't hurt anyone, so there isn't an imperative to over rule that.

However, Teachers are meant to educate and expose students to new ideas, so their might be a legitimate area to challenge wearing the Hijab in an education context, in terms of debate and discussion. Equally, there is a long ultra-secular tradition of excluding religion from education entirely which would include wearing religious symbols or clothing. This is one of those areas where I'm unsure because it would mean actively pursuing an anti-religious agenda in education which itself may be indoctrination and may be as bad as forcing children to be religious.

But as it isn't settled school policy on uniforms or have any educational merit, that doesn't affect the context.

Bodie

I think teachers should mind their own business regarding student's clothing/jewelry, unless it is offensive/dangerous.

That is what I believe as well, teachers etc. have no business dictating or negatively commenting on personal or religious beliefs if they are in a public servant role as in a public school, they need to stick to what they were hired for, to teach reading, writing, arithmetic etc. I do have a problem with the offensive/dangerous because that is subjective, a Jewish teacher may have a problem with a student who is wearing a t-shirt or jewelry with Odinist symbols and think it is offensive because of it being unfairly linked to White supremacy or White power movements, it's a matter of false perception based on a lie. I'd say the same as with a Christian teacher having a problem with Satanism or Satanic symbolism. or an atheist or Muslim teacher having problems with any religion or it's symbolism, it's none of their business nor is it their role to judge.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Your thoughts?
It's a violation of personal religious freedom.

The teacher deserves being fired.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You'd honestly be surprised. Having worked with teachers, some of them are truly that clueless.

I wonder what the reaction would be if a teacher took off a Jewish boy's kippah?

It's disgusting.
The whole education system is disgusting all the way from rifling through childrens lunches to religious violations on a child's person.

It's more gestapo behaviors like this that are leading this country into a downfall.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
If we accept the premise that parents are responsible for dressing their kids, then it's not the teacher's business to interfere, is it? Even if we don't accept the premise, then it would still be rude to do so.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
However, Teachers are meant to educate and expose students to new ideas, so their might be a legitimate area to challenge wearing the Hijab in an education context, in terms of debate and discussion.
I would say that singling out a student in this manner sounds more like bullying to me than anything approaching education.