• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice statue of a Marxist.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Still it's interesting as to why the Brits are so enthralled by this?

Racism is not solely an American phenomenon.

left's continual commentary on the disposition of the right-wing.

What is evident to me is that there's an alliance of convenience between the left and those on the right who care about honesty and ethics (aka never Trumpers).

I don't think I'm alone in agreeing with many on the right when it comes to identifying common problems and wanting Trump and all his minions gone.

We of course part company on the solutions to the problems but that's normal back-and-forth about what works best.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
But if shes made of wood, shes flammable, and a witch. And because of loose associations, she weighs about the same as a duck. Because she's made of wood amd can float. Burn her!
Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Thanks for the education. That was my fault. I should have read a little bit closer in regards to its location.

Well, because ideas matter, maybe? Because if there is systemic racism that is causing pain to some segments of society, and efforts are being made to try to redress those and create change for the future, then sometimes we humans put up icons to remind us. Sure, they may change later, when one thing ceases to be a problem and new problems arise.

Now, I realize that there are a lot on the far right (you know, the polar opposite of "marxists") who are convinced that systemic racism is a hoax and fake news, so maybe you disagree...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It was erected in the city of Bristol WHICH IS IN THE UK.

And there's this fact that is being ignored:

The sculpture is not supposed to be a permanent feature in Britsol's city center

They're calling it a "Marxist" statue, so it's no surprise that they got all of the other details wrong, too.

But anyway, who knew opposing corruption and racism within law enforcement made one a "Marxist".

exchemist

Veteran Member
Artist replaces slave trader statue with one of a Black Lives Matter protester

I don't think Stalin could have posed much better.

Or is it perhaps a racist black power salute?

I wonder how long this one will last on American soil?
What are you talking about? This statue is in Bristol and represents Jen Reid, one of the local English protesters. I have not seen anything to suggest she is a Marxist. She is not a "co-founder" of anything to my knowledge. This statue is an unofficial stunt, and is going to be removed, as it as not authorised by the mayor. It may be sold at auction, to raise money for an educational charity.

Details here: Black Lives Matter protester statue to be removed

What's the problem? And why not mind your own business?;)

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Thanks for the education. That was my fault. I should have read a little bit closer in regards to its location.

Because civilized societies consider corrupt, racist cops to be a bad thing that needs to be acknowledged and addressed?

Altfish

Veteran Member

What if she is a marxist (I don't know) are Marxists less worthy than slave traders to have a statue.

I must admit, I think it is a great idea; a statue of the time - take it down in 12 months and put up another worthy person.
Doubt Bristol Council will let it stay though.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
We can't presume that because a co-founder is
a marxist that everyone in the movement is too.
I was under the impression that it was a decenteralized movement with no hierarchy.
If people have to resort to distortion and dishonesty to prop up their narrative, maybe they should consider stepping back and reexamine it.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Maybe because tearing down a black slave trader statue and replacing it with one of a powerful black person isn't offensive to most people, especially in a civilised country like Great Britain where most people are, in fact, happy with the idea that we shouldn't glorify slave traders this way and are also happy to see it replaced with something that more reflects our current values.

What a damn shame.
Top marks :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't have a problem with this.

Speaking of Stalin, they tore down all of Stalin's statues after Khrushchev denounced him in 1956. There's still one standing at the Stalin Museum in Gori.

Saxlmuzeum.jpg

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Maybe because the co-founder is an admitted Marxist? Not to mention the notable parallels of the movement that coincide with past Marxist revolutionaries.

Of course I entertain the idea maybe its a racist black power salute.

What do you think ? She's just waving hi to people?

Your logic here is really stupid, just because one BLM member is a Marxist does not make all BLM members Marxist,

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is marxism as bad as slavery or capitalism for that matter?
Approx as bad as slavery, but capitalism is good.
So statues to marxists, like statues to slavery fans,
should have explanatory additions to inform of the
evil they hath wrought.

epronovost

Approx as bad as slavery, but capitalism is good.
So statues to marxists, like statues to slavery fans,
should have explanatory additions to inform of the
evil they hath wrought.

What evil hath wrougght a british air stylist exactly?

PS: capitalism has and continues to kill people by the millions. Slavery, especially when we talk about the mass slavery of Africans, was a capitalist venture.